Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-11, 01:01 AM   #1
jbo5112

Default Konsole and Bitmapped fonts

I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.5.1) w/ Compiz (0.8.6) and an 8 sided cube (plus top/bottom). The performance in Konsole horrible. I notice measurable lag when scrolling through my buffer when using True-Type Fonts with font smoothing turned off. I really, really want bitmapped fonts, but that is completely unusable (and changing font settings is a 10 minute endeavor). I have a 3.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 6GB RAM, a 256MB GeForce 8600 GT and two 1680x1050 LCD's. I rarely do any gaming, but I want a fast and powerful desktop interface that can show me screenfulls of terminal windows with tiny fonts. Am I expecting too much from my machine?

If have windows open on all sides of my cube (the whole point of the cube), I only get 30-35 fps rotating it (20 with 3D windows where they stick out from the cube), and konsole slows it down even more. The compiz benchmark will show about 90 fps when running "find /" in 4 Konsole windows, but Konsole itself is only giving about 1 fps (maybe 3 fps with short lines). OpenOffice also grinds everything to a near-halt when I'm copying and the "marching ants" show up, along with some other software causing similar, consistent performance issues. It looks like some bugs somewhere. I'm not running a 3D layer in Windows XP, but it handles the terminal windows and everything else just fine on a machine with lower specs, until I'm out of RAM.

Is it a problem with Compiz, KDE, Qt, Xorg, NVIDIA, my configuration or is my hardware too underpowered to run a 3D interface on two 1680x1050 LCD's (not enough video ram?)? It did mostly well with a single 1920x1440 CRT, but I was hoping this might power a couple of 30" displays. I attached my xorg.conf (complete with failed TV out configuration) and Xorg.0.log. Somehow X11 thinks the card has 512MB.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (61.1 KB, 58 views)
jbo5112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 02:33 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: Konsole and Bitmapped fonts

Wow, I thought this bug is long resolved.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 10:37 AM   #3
leigh123linux

Does it help launching konsole with this switch?

Code:
konsole -graphicssystem raster
leigh123linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 12:32 PM   #4
jbo5112

It seems like non-aa fonts have been mostly fixed. I'm not sure if the remaining speed problem is because of compiz or what, but the next version is supposed to be faster. I have a 22MB, 380,000 line text file I created that is in cache. It takes about 7 seconds to run "cat file" (vs 0.008s for "cat file > /dev/null"), but it's very choppy, rendered as 7 frames. I get higher frame rates with 4MB jpeg files. I tried an xterm window, which had a larger font. It took longer, but it looked like it actually displayed most of it. I also tried installing eterm to test, but there isn't an eterm program once the install is done. I will have to investigate later.

I tried briefly turning on font smoothing in konsole. I don't know if the problem was the machine still settling down from the taxing font change, but it ran terribly. In all fairness, I had to minimize and restore my konsole windows after changing it back before things worked decently.

Running konsole with the raster graphics system didn't change things. Do I have to close all my konsole windows before opening a new one with the option?
jbo5112 is offline   Reply With Quote