Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-03, 05:44 PM   #351
EDLIM
eVGA Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
NVIDIA informed me today that they are still investigating the problem and are close to issuing a statement. That's all the information I have right now.
Did they say how close is close.....? I am just curiouse to know...
EDLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 05:53 PM   #352
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by EDLIM
I think we are hitting against a wall with this issues. This is no longer a motherboard noise issue nor a software issues because it's happening across the board from MSI, ASUS, GAINWARD &EVGA..ETC ETC ETC ........

If it was only a few incident then I'll say...it's a software or hardware set-up issue. At this point...it is sad to say.. FX 5900 had a design flaw...not intended to be but it turn out that way... It's really sad but it happened.
It can't be a design flaw if the majority of users dont even have this problem. Especially since there is a forum full of ATI users with the same issue.
1gb PC3200 Mushkin Dual Channel Kit
BFG Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb
Vantec Stealth 520 Watt PSU
Audigy 2
Sony X82 18.1 in. LCD Monitor
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 06:01 PM   #353
EDLIM
eVGA Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jericho
It can't be a design flaw if the majority of users dont even have this problem. Especially since there is a forum full of ATI users with the same issue.

I am really hoping that this is not a design flaw..because I am really wanting to buy one from EVGA.... I am just waiting for the official Nvidia Statement.

This is a great card.. and I am really deep inside..wanting this card so bad.
A part of me says " don't buy it' and the other side of me says "buy it!!!!!"
Old 09-03-03, 06:04 PM   #354
Atlas37

One way to fix the problem I heard is buy a LCD and use the digital output on the card. But not going to give up my Sony G520P.
Atlas37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 06:07 PM   #355
EDLIM
eVGA Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlas37
One way to fix the problem I heard is buy a LCD and use the digital output on the card. But not going to give up my Sony G520P.
I do have a Viewsonic LCD but it is analog..... Connecting it to the DVI with an adapter wouldn't really make any difference or would it?
Old 09-03-03, 06:11 PM   #356
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlas37
Maybe that is why I don't have this problem. I will have to hook up to the 15 pin connector and check.
Audigy 2

Old 09-03-03, 06:14 PM   #357
Atlas37

Quote:
I do have a Viewsonic LCD but it is analog..... Connecting it to the DVI with an adapter wouldn't really make any difference or would it?

Give it a try. Put it to test. But I think digital LCD.
Expensive fix!
Old 09-03-03, 06:14 PM   #358
Jericho

Quote:
I am really hoping that this is not a design flaw..because I am really wanting to buy one from EVGA.... I am just waiting for the official Nvidia Statement.

This is a great card.. and I am really deep inside..wanting this card so bad.
A part of me says " don't buy it' and the other side of me says "buy it!!!!!"
Just wait for the announcement tomorrow. I am sure you will still be able to get your card. A fix for something like that would most likely be a bios or driver update.
Audigy 2
Old 09-03-03, 06:21 PM   #359
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Precisely!

Don't expect an update tomorrow but the official statement as MikeC indicated is really near... we're talking about days, not weeks

For the record, I'm not working for nvidia nor am I bound or representing NVDA in any way.

Last edited by Morrow; 09-03-03 at 06:28 PM.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 06:41 PM   #360
Atlas37

Well if it a Bios update that mite explain the a delay. You Know a lot of people spent thier blood money on these cards and deserve to be acknowledge.
Old 09-03-03, 07:00 PM   #361
LordSpawn

and some people just took the 15% hit + shipping (both ways) and moved on. I still want to see what the problem was and why it took so long to fix it.
LordSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 07:19 PM   #362
Atlas37

Cutting corners allways gets you to this point.
Old 09-03-03, 08:17 PM   #363
mario64

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
Precisely!

Don't expect an update tomorrow but the official statement as MikeC indicated is really near... we're talking about days, not weeks

For the record, I'm not working for nvidia nor am I bound or representing NVDA in any way.
You said last week we would get an official statement by this Friday. What happened?

Mario64
mario64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 09:34 PM   #364
DuckMaestro

Quote:
Respectfully i say, there is a flaw in your logic.... If it is true that most do not experience the problem, that does not at all disprove the board having a design flaw. Assuming it is system-dependant issue, the problem is seen on some systems but not others, however a board that is not defective should work on any system meeting the system requirements listed. am i wrong? my system, as well as the systems of everyone else do meet the system requirements of this graphics card. Even more evidence in that my GF4-ti4200 ran without any flicker but when i install my GF-FX i get the flicker. However it is possible that the FX uses a feature of the motherboard that the gf4 does not use and that that feature of the motherboard is deffective, i highly doubt that in all the variety of motherboards in use by everyone else experiencing the problem, that the motherboard is in fault or any other part in the system.

Also, with regard to the 2nd part of your statement.... just because ATI users have the same or similar problem, does also not disprove the GF-FX as deffective in design. Is it not possible that both ATI and Nvidia could have the same flaw?

-Duck
DuckMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 09:44 PM   #365
DuckMaestro

also note that i am not saying it *proves* there is indeed a design flaw...

i am just saying that based on the information and testing we end-users have, we cannot prove it is not a design flaw nor can we prove it is a design flaw. However i am leaning more towards it being a design flaw, especially because of the same issue existing across distributor/board-maker lines.

-Duck
Old 09-03-03, 09:53 PM   #366
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by DuckMaestro
also note that i am not saying it *proves* there is indeed a design flaw...

i am just saying that based on the information and testing we end-users have, we cannot prove it is not a design flaw nor can we prove it is a design flaw. However i am leaning more towards it being a design flaw, especially because of the same issue existing across distributor/board-maker lines.

-Duck
It is much more likely a bug in the code of the bios or drivers. That is if there is a problem with the cards in the first place. It could even be a Windows problem for all we know related to directx 9. Would make sense since it is affecting both ati and nvidia. We know M$ is the mother of bugs.
Audigy 2
Old 09-03-03, 10:04 PM   #367
The Baron

Quote:
It is much more likely a bug in the code of the bios or drivers. That is if there is a problem with the cards in the first place. It could even be a Windows problem for all we know related to directx 9. Would make sense since it is affecting both ati and nvidia. We know M$ is the mother of bugs.
BIOS, maybe. However, then it should affect a much greater number of cards than it does.

MS is right out since it happens before the box POSTs.
Old 09-03-03, 10:10 PM   #368
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
BIOS, maybe. However, then it should affect a much greater number of cards than it does.

MS is right out since it happens before the box POSTs.
That also rules out a driver problem if it happens at post. I wouldn't know since I don't have the problem.

Are all the people with the problem NOT on an LCD DVI connector?
Audigy 2

Old 09-03-03, 10:14 PM   #369
Clay

Quote:
Are all the people with the problem NOT on an LCD DVI connector?
I do not have the problem on my BFG 5900 Ultra. I am NOT on and LCD DVI connection. I have a Hitachi CM721F CRT monitor connected via the standard VGA connector.

One problem I did have initially was regarding a VGA extension cable. The Belkin that I'd always used worked fine on lower RAMDAC cards but the 5900 Ultra "ghosted" in Windows. So, I just got a high-density VGA extension cable and problem solved. There was no flickering at that time though, only ghosting effects which were directly related to a sub-par extension cable.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-03, 10:18 PM   #370
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
I do not have the problem on my BFG 5900 Ultra. I am NOT on and LCD DVI connection. I have a Hitachi CM721F CRT monitor connected via the standard VGA connector.

One problem I did have initially was regarding a VGA extension cable. The Belkin that I'd always used worked fine on lower RAMDAC cards but the 5900 Ultra "ghosted" in Windows. So, I just got a high-density VGA extension cable and problem solved. There was no flickering at that time though, only ghosting effects which were directly related to a sub-par extension cable.
Ok, well I guess that blows that theory too.

Yeah, I learned a while back that high quality cables are rated for certain screen sizes. Ghosting is the big problem with extensions.
Audigy 2
Old 09-03-03, 10:42 PM   #371
Flavius

Quote:
Especially since there is a forum full of ATI users with the same issue.
No, its not the same issue. ATI owners had problems with the 9500 and 9700 cards with ROLLING LINES, not flickering, and it was resolved with the 9800. I should know because 1) I bought a 9500 with the rolling lines issue AND 2) I then bought a 9800 with no issues AND 3) I spent a long time on the rage3d.com forums confirming that many 9500/9700 owners had these problems but none of the 9800/9600 owners did. And I think many of us here have already proved that this is not a driver or OS issue. If it can be fixed with a video BIOS flash I'll be extremely amazed.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 01:29 AM   #372
DuckMaestro

just to remind some people of the *special* characteristic of this flickering bug.... which i have seen a couple other people mention, and i experience it myself as well..... which is this....

i have a CRT on my vga-dsub... and an LCD on my DVI..... (both off the same GF-FX5900U card)

when i set my LCD on DVI as primary moniter, and my CRT on VGA as secondary... and play a game on my LCD/DVI.... it causes my windows desktop on the CRT to flicker the exact same way it flickered when i played games on the CRT as primary. Ill repeat... *when i play games on DVI/LCD, it causes flicker on my DSUB/CRT*

has anyone else with the flicker problem tried doing that?

-Duck
Old 09-04-03, 04:20 AM   #373
Jeffus

Send a message via ICQ to Jeffus

Well, going back to someones statement regarding PSUs.. I DID upgrade my PSU to and Antec TP 550 and it cured my noise issue (clicking etc), so I am convined there is a power consumption issue.. I now have only the flicker issue to resolve and have heared that people playing the CoD Demo that they do not experience this issue nor the fog issues like with MOH.... curious. (5900 owners that is)

I know and so does Nvidia know that there are issues I just think they are either writing a new bios and/or drivers to resolve them.... suppose we need to hang on.

THe brief coming from Nvidia would seemto suggest they are either going to anounce their profits and/or new products.. don't expect amention regarding the 5900 issues... they will not publically admit anything that will affect their share of the market forcing people over to ATI!!!
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
1gig mem DDR333
MSI Starforce Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256 VTD (current driver 52.16Whql)
2 x Maxtor 120gig HDs
Logitec MX700 mouse
Audigy 2 sound + 5.1 Surround Logitech speaker system
XP Pro + all service packs, ALL device drivers upto date etc....
and the usual..
Jeffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 05:44 AM   #374
_Pablo
NV1

Location: Wales - UK - World - Solar System - Milky Way - Universe - ?

Quote:
Originally posted by DuckMaestro
Ill repeat... *when i play games on DVI/LCD, it causes flicker on my DSUB/CRT*

has anyone else with the flicker problem tried doing that?

-Duck
Yes Duck same here. Tested using two LCDs, using Blinky and a nice bright desktop.

Analogue on VGA = flicker
Analogue on DVI = flicker
Digital on DVI = No flicker
Analogue on VGA & Analogue on DVI = Both flicker
Analogue on VGA & Digial on DVI = No flicker on DVI, flicker on VGA.

The only thing which fixed my flashing was an LCD on digital via the DVI. For reference I have a 550W Channel Well Tech PSU and haven't had the noise problem from the card. I've also tested the card in my old machine, which P3 with a 350W Channel Well Tech PSU and it was exactly the same.

I'm fed up with some people repeatedly posting that there is no problem with these cards - if you have flashing on a machine with no problems with other cards, if the flashing occurs with the same card on different machines and if many other users are reporting the same issue, I think it's safe to assume that there is a problem.

For a top of the range card it's also safe to assume that affected users are going to be very pissed off and not trust the skills of company(s) responsible. Nvidia take note - you must give a full and proper account of the problem and if you are unable to fix the problem with software then you must recall affected chips/designs/cards.
Asus A7N8X Dlx 2.0 :: 1008 BIOS :: RD1-PMC4 :: Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.5Ghz (12.5 x 200 ) :: 1GB Corsair XMS3200XL sync @ 6-2-2-2 :: Leadtek 6800GT @ 400/1100 :: WD1200JB :: Antec TruePower 550W :: XP Pro SP2 :: 5.10 Nforce UDP :: 71.20 Forceware

Dell Inspiron 9100 :: A05 BIOS :: Pentium 4 D 3.4Ghz :: 1GB PC3200 :: Radeon Mobility 9800 256MB @ 1920x1200 :: 60GB HGST :: XP Pro SP2 :: Cat 4.12
_Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-03, 06:34 AM   #375
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
THe brief coming from Nvidia would seemto suggest they are either going to anounce their profits and/or new products.. don't expect amention regarding the 5900 issues... they will not publically admit anything that will affect their share of the market forcing people over to ATI!!!
Do read what Mike posted, they are close to issuing a statement on THIS issue not their profits.