Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-03, 03:35 PM   #426
skoprowski

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
I can assure you that nvidia IS still working on the problem. Actually there will be an update on the situation end of this week or the latest during the next week.

Nvidia does know what the problem is (the same 9800 users are experiencing) and they are still evaluating a solution to the problem!
Only a few hours left! Yeah right....
eVGA 8800GTX
BFG Ageia PPU 128 pci
Audigy X-fi Audio pci express
Coolermaster 850w
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Windows XP Pro 64bit
skoprowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 03:44 PM   #427
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Let's forget about trying to find a brand that works.
You make some good points. I was just curious if there were any people with BFGs that had the problem and apparently there are.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 03:58 PM   #428
LordSpawn

somone compile a list of every 5900 FX out there. then we can create a poll and mark the one we have if we had problems. That seems time consuming and somewhat pointless but i know somone out there is really bored.
LordSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-03, 04:08 PM   #429
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by LordSpawn
somone compile a list of every 5900 FX out there. then we can create a poll and mark the one we have if we had problems. That seems time consuming and somewhat pointless but i know somone out there is really bored.
A lot of us here threw that idea around back a month or more ago when this all started rearing its head. However, we'd need more than just a list of cards with a yes/no mark by them. We'd really need to have a lot more information such as motherboard brand/chipset/model/etc...power supply info...all other components in system...etc in order for it to be a useful poll. Making it a public poll would also be tough because not everyone would even know how to answer many of the poll questions.

My hope is that NVIDIA has been doing something like this internally (which would obviously be time consuming).

Anyway, I know you're just joking but I agree that someone probably will come up with something given enough *free time*. I bet it would help to shed some light on things though even if it wasn't all-inclusive.
Old 09-05-03, 04:25 PM   #430
skoprowski

That was tried in the eVGA forums and got no where. There did not seem to be any correlating hardware at all. The same hardware that had zero problems for some users had problems for others.
eVGA 8800GTX
BFG Ageia PPU 128 pci
Coolermaster 850w
Windows XP Pro 64bit
Old 09-05-03, 05:03 PM   #431
Jericho

All the posts I have seen where someone was hooked up to a UPS didn't have the problem. Anyone have the problem thats on a UPS?

Also has anyone tried having a direct power connection to the psu in your computer and not using the Y adapter. So that there is nothing else between the card and the psu?

Just a thought.
1gb PC3200 Mushkin Dual Channel Kit
BFG Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb
Vantec Stealth 520 Watt PSU
Audigy 2
Sony X82 18.1 in. LCD Monitor
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 06:39 PM   #432
Jericho

Quote:
Let's forget about trying to find a brand that works. It doesn't exist. Testing at this point is a waste... all the testing that can be done has been done. There is something wrong with the power circuitry in the card and how it affects the analog signals originating in the card. Besides pure digital signal, the only other solution has been to remove the additional 4 pin power connector. At this point there are only a few things we can do:

1) RMA or hold off buying 59xx and wait for NVidia to give us official information... something that is looking less likely every day, probably because they realize the enormity of their blunder.

2) Buy the 5900 SE cards coming out this fall, with freshly made GPUs from IBM and hopefully better board circuitry.

3) If 5900 SE is still flickery, wait for NV40 in the spring to fix this. (I'm not that patient.)

4) Switch to ATI and deal with their continued buggy drivers but SOLID picture.

Personally, I am going for option 2, followed by option 4.
It would make no sense to wait and buy the SE line of cards. The 5200 SE, 5600 SE and 5900 SE are being introduced as a value line of cards that will be clocked lower. The Ultra will still be the top card.

What we need to do is wait for a fix whether it be software or an RMA. Or like you said you could move to ATI and deal with a load of other problems.
Audigy 2
Old 09-05-03, 07:26 PM   #433
PsychoAus

IF one of the card companies (Asus, MSI etc etc..) nailed this problem themselves rather than Nvidia...man would they get some business!

PsychoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 07:49 PM   #434
Flavius

Quote:
It would make no sense to wait and buy the SE line of cards. The 5200 SE, 5600 SE and 5900 SE are being introduced as a value line of cards that will be clocked lower. The Ultra will still be the top card.
Maybe. You don't know that for a fact. What we DO know is that that the SE chips will be the first to be manufactured by IBM, using a more advanced and streamlined process than before. If anything, they are likely to be faster, not slower. I think the actual value will be that they will cost less to produce, based on Nvidia's shareholder statements yesterday. Nvidia might pass on the savings to the customer. However, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be clocked lower. We'll have to see. We know the SE chips will be made using the IBM process and will appear this fall because 1) Nvidia said the first IBM-made chips will appear in new cards released this fall, and that chips at IBM are already in production and 2) Nvidia said the NV40 won't appear until next spring. Now, with the R360 and higher clocked ATI cards likely coming out BEFORE next spring, I SINCERELY dount Nvidia will not increase or improve the performance of the 5900 Ultra hardware until next spring when the NV40 comes out. I am willing to bet we'll see a faster 5900 chip before NV40 comes out next year.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 07:52 PM   #435
LordSpawn

performance? bah, i rather have a card that dosen't flicker in ANY system.
Old 09-05-03, 08:12 PM   #436
Jericho

Quote:
Maybe. You don't know that for a fact. What we DO know is that that the SE chips will be the first to be manufactured by IBM, using a more advanced and streamlined process than before. If anything, they are likely to be faster, not slower. I think the actual value will be that they will cost less to produce, based on Nvidia's shareholder statements yesterday. Nvidia might pass on the savings to the customer. However, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be clocked lower. We'll have to see. We know the SE chips will be made using the IBM process and will appear this fall because 1) Nvidia said the first IBM-made chips will appear in new cards released this fall, and that chips at IBM are already in production and 2) Nvidia said the NV40 won't appear until next spring. Now, with the R360 and higher clocked ATI cards likely coming out BEFORE next spring, I SINCERELY dount Nvidia will not increase or improve the performance of the 5900 Ultra hardware until next spring when the NV40 comes out. I am willing to bet we'll see a faster 5900 chip before NV40 comes out next year.
I was NOT speculating. I DO know that the core clock will be 400 instead of 450. Memory clock will be 700 instead of 850 with timings of 2.8ns instead of 2.2ns. Plus they will be built on cheaper pcb. These numbers are for the 5900 SE card.

So YES it IS clocked lower and will be a lower performing card than the Ultra aimed at the value crowd. This is a FACT!
Audigy 2
Old 09-06-03, 01:08 AM   #437
LordSpawn

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Mine is going directly to the PSU and I have the flicker.
ditto
Old 09-06-03, 10:27 AM   #438
TeacherFromHell

Location: In the basement of my Kansas home with a laptop, a bottle of whiskey, and the most recent issue of "Hustler".

I had my card hooked into my power supply on its own connector and I got the flicker (my power supply = 550w Antec). I tried using the "Y" adapter last night and I still got the flicker.
Old 09-06-03, 08:57 PM   #439
dragonthc

Default addendum

I had a major issue with flickering on my geforce3 ti200

I just put in my new gainward 5900 ultra, and I have 0 (that's zero) flickering.

you all need to realize that it is a problem with each one of your pcs and fix it individually.

it's like you yelling at ford because your mustang won't drive properly on ice.

it is an environmental problem you each need to solve it yourselves by limiting the amount of EMI your monitor and monitor cable receives. when you do this, and only when you do this will the problem be solved. there's also the slight possibility that the card is receiving EMI from something inside your computer. in that case, NV would have to afroengineer an EMI shield for the card internally.
dragonthc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-03, 10:19 PM   #440
Flavius

Quote:
you all need to realize that it is a problem with each one of your pcs and fix it individually.
Do us all a favor and take your assinine assumptions elsewhere. Try reading all the posts in the thread before trolling like this. It helps no one. This is not a problem with individual PCs, this has been proven time and time again.

Old 09-06-03, 10:28 PM   #441
Jericho

Well don't know if its true but I heard an upcoming driver fix will take care of the problem.
Audigy 2
Old 09-06-03, 10:28 PM   #442
skoprowski

Quote:
Do us all a favor and take your assinine assumptions elsewhere. Try reading all the posts in the thread before trolling like this. It helps no one. This is not a problem with individual PCs, this has been proven time and time again.
Ditto on that. Don't open your mouth unless you really know what you are talking about. Myself and others have tested all possibilities.
eVGA 8800GTX
BFG Ageia PPU 128 pci
Coolermaster 850w
Windows XP Pro 64bit
Old 09-06-03, 11:46 PM   #443
Clay

Default Re: addendum

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonthc
it's like you yelling at ford because your mustang won't drive properly on ice.
Car analogies never fly with this kind of thing.

A more accurate analogy would be that when some people put a SoundBlaster Audigy2 card in their machine the audio produced is warbled, distorted or stuttering while others have no problems at all and the sound is just fine.

At any rate, this is a real problem and without a simple solution (to date at least as far as anyone knows publicly).
Old 09-07-03, 03:35 AM   #444
Flavius

Quote:
I heard an upcoming driver fix will take care of the problem.
And your source was???????????
Old 09-07-03, 04:05 AM   #445
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Seems to me that owners of the BFG Geforcefx5900's are not experiencing these issues or less of us are. The one I own hasn't flickered or made noises when moving the mouse wheel at all.

I've tested it on DVI/Analog on my Viewsonic Vx800 18" display as well as my old 19" CRT on analog. Both have no flicker. I've been playing many games and there is no flickering to be seen.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 07:24 AM   #446
SeppSchrot

Ok, seems to me the week is over, and so is my patience...

Is it my Job to buy a 400,- Euro GFX Card and then, when it doesnt work as it should in this price-class, thinking about what all could be wrong with some combination of (non-exotic) hardware, and even worse, affording this PSU and that MoBo (and so on...),just to find out, what´s responsible(it is the Card, but more about that later) ?
That´s called BETATESTING, isn´t it? But usually, as a Betatester you dont have to pay the whole price and the testing occurs before the Product hit
the market.

Ok, there has always been incompatiblity and there has always been bugs and mistakes in computer business.
The problem for me is you can`t thrust in quality brands any longer.
The first victim in the war for the best computer-hardware seems to be the quality testing.(Surely not only in computer line of business)

ASUS used to be called as the "Mercedes" of the MoBo-Manufactors.
NVIDIA was known to me as a producer of long-time-moneyworth performance Cards.For instance my 3years old Geforce2 GTS, rocksolid ,even nowadays fast and the replacement of the returned FX5900.

But nobody can tell my that it is just a compatibly thing when my ASUS-v9950 in a Asus A7N8X-Mobo does flicker.
I unplugged all unneeded cards and devices, put the Motherboard out of the case on the table and invested in a 465 Watt Power Supply.
Still flickering.
Also dont further assume it is DirectX.
OpenGL does the same.

It was a fault of mine to wait this long for some problem fix from NVIDIA. I had just to much confidence in ASUS/NVIDIA to think it is a non-patchabe thing.

I´am going to RMA my ASUS v9950 this monday, repeating this till i get a card that works or full money back.
I dont care any longer if this is a Hardware, Software or Compatibly Problem.
I dont want any longer to brood over whats maybe could be the cause for the flickering and i definitely not going to spend any money for a LCD-Screen.

By the way, really thought there´s a softwareside solution for power-related problems that doesn´t cut down the performance ?

Last edited by SeppSchrot; 09-07-03 at 07:30 AM.
SeppSchrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 03:05 PM   #447
LordSpawn

Quote:
Originally posted by SeppSchrot
I´am going to RMA my ASUS v9950 this Monday, repeating this till I get a card that works or full money back.
I would suggest you get a different video card.. perhaps an ATI. When I RMAed my card back I had to give them 80bucks so they could restock the card and sell it to the next sucker I mean... someone that has a 5900FX flicker free compatible system.

If I were you I RMA for refund then hold out. Wait till the beta testers (everyone with a flickering card) and NVIDIA gets done working the bugs out. If they come out with a solution then you might want to give it another shot.

In my mind NVIDIA will always owe me that 80 bucks + my time for trying to fix something that wasn't on my side. It's sad that in a race to the top both card companies are dropping pieces and customers along the way. If you screw one person you might be screwing yourself even more. I can't recommend the 5900FX card to my friends without saying I had a flickering problem and there is a possibility you might have it as well. Then they will have to decide if it's worth betting $80 bucks on.
Old 09-07-03, 06:08 PM   #448
dragonthc

Default ATTN: Flavius and those with flickering problems

give me specs of your system including power supply and case.

take some pictures of your pc. inside, and out and the backplane.
also take some pictures or describe it's location including any devices around your computer.

tell me the placement of the monitor in regards to the computer. placement of any flourescent lights. Placement of any radio, stereo, or amplifier devices. Placement of power cords and UPS battery backup devices.

I'll find the cause of your flickering problem and help you solve it.

or, you can be negative and just complain about Nvidia. Be part of the solution.
The only thing you have to lose by complying with my requests, is the flickering problem.

regardless of how many options you've exhausted, these can only help.
dragonthc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 06:19 PM   #449
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
DITTO...
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 07:00 PM   #450
FredGSanford

Default Re: ATTN: Flavius and those with flickering problems

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonthc
give me specs of your system including power supply and case.

take some pictures of your pc. inside, and out and the backplane.
also take some pictures or describe it's location including any devices around your computer.

tell me the placement of the monitor in regards to the computer. placement of any flourescent lights. Placement of any radio, stereo, or amplifier devices. Placement of power cords and UPS battery backup devices.

I'll find the cause of your flickering problem and help you solve it.

or, you can be negative and just complain about Nvidia. Be part of the solution.
The only thing you have to lose by complying with my requests, is the flickering problem.

regardless of how many options you've exhausted, these can only help.
My monitor is 5 ft from the case. My Speakers are nowhere near my monitor as I use headphones most of the time. The closest power outlet in my room is 8 ft away from the entire system. the Closest light it 10 ft away from it all. We have been trying to solve this with a number of hardware variations. I have supplied 12 hardware variations and a few others have done the same. I tried out flat on a table and in a Full Tower Case which has plenty of room in it and nothing more then the motherboard, cpu, ram, HD, CD-Rom and video card on an antec 600W TruePower/Controle.

If this was the answer nvidia would have told us that by now or made a statement of some kind. Do yourself a favor and stop posting nonsence posts as your just causing a flame war and making yourself look foolish to boot. EMI can be simply detected with use of a DigitalMeter to judge this as it would get a reading without even touching anything with the sensor tips or a simple grounding test using the DigitalMeter.
FredGSanford is offline   Reply With Quote