Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-03, 02:34 PM   #26
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

To be more specific. I have seen the problem on systems that were the same spec cept on the Antec 480W powered systems
versus the stock 300W PS.

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD

System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 02:35 PM   #27
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper106
To be more specific. I have seen the problem on systems that were the same spec cept on the Antec 480W powered systems
That may well be it--it might not like certain voltage levels, or it may not like the amount of noise put out by lower-quality PSUs. To be frank, though, at this point, nobody really knows anything certain about it.
Old 08-06-03, 02:36 PM   #28
Mark_fox
www.Warp2Search.net

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper106
Well the power supply issue is also on ATi's "Top 10 Reasons for flickering/rolling lines" - so just to proove them wrong I got Enermax 460W supply and new case, rounded cables, seperate power supply cable to card, etc etc - and still same story - at the end...I got FX 5900 and that worked!
Mark_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 02:44 PM   #29
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_fox
Well the power supply issue is also on ATi's "Top 10 Reasons for flickering/rolling lines" - so just to proove them wrong I got Enermax 460W supply and new case, rounded cables, seperate power supply cable to card, etc etc - and still same story - at the end...I got FX 5900 and that worked!

Well glad to hear that! Perhaps we should start a thread asking peeps with and without the flickering problem to post their system specs and we could do a comparison. May be the best way to start. Maybe NVIDIA could use some of the info collected
to help their research of the problem.

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD

System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Old 08-06-03, 02:44 PM   #30
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

Well ATI had support in Rage3D for long time ,but some problems hard to find, people talking about flickering problem is it possible to take a picture of it ?
how does it look like ?
is it only 2d relaited or 3d ?
does it appear in all programs or only specific games , IE browser + mouse wheel use ?
could it be no Vsync and LCD combination ?
ect ect
Old 08-06-03, 02:54 PM   #31
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
As soon as the card comes back I will test it and you'll be the first to know if it exhibits this behavior.
Techincally wouldn't Brian be the 2nd person to know as I assume that you will first test it? Well I thought it was funny.

Thanks for the support BB!
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 03:12 PM   #32
volt

A note from Brian:

It is against company policy for NVIDIA employees to post in forums. As such, I can not reply to you post. We made an exception in this case
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-03, 03:21 PM   #33
Malfunction

I was just curious how many people that are having this problem don't have their system (PSU atleast) hooked up to a Uninterruptable Power Supply that has a built in Line conditioner.

I had to get one for my system because there is so much line noise in the wiring of this old house. On top of the fact I live in SoCal, suprising we haven't had any power outages this summer so far.

I also got it because it insures that my system is getting maximum power it requires.

Hope they figure out what's wrong with you cards... that does suck.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 03:27 PM   #34
glow worm

I have a Gainward FX5900 U and experiencing no such problems with flickerung etc, or any noise issues.

I first had an MSI FX5900 U but that caused severe graphic corruption on my rig, returned to supplier who deemed it faulty and replaced with the Gainward. This card for me runs like a dream even OC at 490/940 no problems at all + it runs very cool even under full load.
80Gb Maxtor SATA-150 (8Mb) 7200rpm
Gainward GS FX5900 ULTRA 256Mb
TT Xaser II 6000+ Case + TT 420w Silent PSU
LG 52x Burner/Aopen 12x DVD ROM
SBLive 5,1 + DT 2200 Spks
glow worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 03:30 PM   #35
EDLIM
eVGA Senior Member

Default Re: "Flickering", "Quivering" and "rolling lines"--NVIDIA needs your h

Quote:
Originally posted by BB NVPR
We have become aware that both NVIDIA and competitor’s cards are experiencing similar problems that are described as “flickering”, “rolling lines” or “quivering” in different forum posts. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=15467

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

NVIDIA has been investigating these problems; we are having a difficult time reproducing the issue. We are under the impression it is a noise issue, not a graphics card issue and is system specific.

In an effort to find a solution, we ask that anyone in the Bay area who is experiencing this issue on an NVIDIA GPU and would like to visit NVIDIA with the system in tow contact us. We can use the system to identify the problem and see if we can resolve the issue. You will be doing a favor to NVIDIA and a service to the community. We will also make sure you leave with an arm full of NVIDIA swag!

First come first served! We can not look at every system in the Bay area, sorry.
Contact bburke@nvidia.com.
Just like to thank Nvidia and Brian Burke for this nice gesture and GREAT level of support

Last edited by EDLIM; 08-06-03 at 03:40 PM.
EDLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 03:56 PM   #36
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfunction
I was just curious how many people that are having this problem don't have their system (PSU atleast) hooked up to a Uninterruptable Power Supply that has a built in Line conditioner.

I had to get one for my system because there is so much line noise in the wiring of this old house. On top of the fact I live in SoCal, suprising we haven't had any power outages this summer so far.
This is an interesting thought. I don't have a UPS for my system, but our electricity in good 'ol Naperville is exceptionally clean. My tower is plugged directly into my wall, and my monitor is in a (cheap) surge protector. Worked just fine with any and all video cards I've owned recently.

And for the record, here's my complete system specs:

AthlonXP 2400+ @ 2200 MHz (210x10.5)
Abit NF7-S revision 1.2
1 GB Mushkin PC3200 DDR
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
US Robotics 56K modem
SMC 802.11b ethernet card
2x Western Digital 80 GB hard drives
Pioneer DVR-A05 DVD-RW
Lite-On 48126S CD-RW
5 case fans
Leadman/Powmax 500W PSU (don't have the voltage ratings offhand)
Hitachi CM174 17-inch LCD

I have to wonder if part of these problems might be caused by unclean electricity, especially if the issue affected both ATI and NVIDIA users. With today's modern cards being so power hungry perhaps a UPS is a solution.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 04:00 PM   #37
volt

Could it be bad cables? Could it be electricity? Sure it could, but I don't suppose everyone will go and check on that. I definetly will, it just takes time.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 08-06-03, 04:03 PM   #38
lukar

I own Radeon 9700pro, and there was no such problems ever. Hardly I know anybody who had the flickering problems using either ATI of NVIDIA card. I think that some people who got this issue is related to interference from other equipement most likely by second monitor. This issue I can simulate by using two screens 17" emachines and KDS XFLAT XF9-b for example. So, the problem is not related to video card, in this case GFX 5900.

It's really pissing me off when some 'people who needs a basic education' by posting their stupid problems, causes missunderstanding and all they do is complaining and so on...

I know the man who complained to me about low performance of his computer during the gaming. Guess what! That genius was running adobe photoshop, mirc, and download accelerator at the same time when he played the game. What a case!
lukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 04:13 PM   #39
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

I am in the process of swaping some parts on a system with the flickering issue and will post results ASAP.

System 1

System 2
Old 08-06-03, 04:17 PM   #40
indio

If you really wanna know if it's drivers and/or software or hardware. Some with the problem try to replicate it with Linux.
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 04:17 PM   #41
Mark_fox
www.Warp2Search.net

Well I had this problem on my ATi Radeon 9700 Pro card and I don't thing I need basic education in computers but anyway..

I did find 2 ways of solving this problem yourself (DIY). Its something that I've read at rage3d forums. I would ask that those that are having this problem with their FX5900 card try at least one of these ways...

1. Use DVI to VGA adaptor (some FX5900 card bundles will include this adaptor, like my MSI FX5900 did)

2. This is more dangerous one - use powerstrip & overclock your monitor past the default refresh rate at a given resolution. DO IT ONLY IF YOU KNOW HOW BUT ONLY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Both of these ways solved my problem with Radeon 9700Pro and so they might work on FX5900...Please someone try it and report back, thanks
Old 08-06-03, 04:22 PM   #42
volt

1. Using DVI->VGA didnt work, nor did unplugging the power connector.

2. Won't try that sorry lol

Old 08-06-03, 04:27 PM   #43
Mark_fox
www.Warp2Search.net

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
1. Using DVI->VGA didnt work, nor did unplugging the power connector.

2. Won't try that sorry lol
ahh come on volt, you know you want too...only 2-3hz won't hurt
Old 08-06-03, 04:46 PM   #44
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

These types of issues are difficult to track down. It appears to be RFI/EMI related and may be something as trivial as the length of some traces in the PCB picking up harmonics from an external source in the computer.
That said, I use the 480W Antec TruPower supplies as well and have UPS/line conditioners on all my systems and do not experience these problems with ATI or NVidia cards.

But again, if it is a harmonic in the case, it is going to be difficult to find/reproduce for NVidia and/or ATI.

I'll do some switching of parts tonight and see what happens.
Skuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-03, 04:49 PM   #45
Badash

The bad cable theory doesn't jive since I had a 5800 ultra that worked fine. And then the ONLY thing i changed was putting in a 5900 ultra and then it flickers. Now the flickering isn't so bad I can't game. From what I'm hearing some people have worse flickering or possibly they play different games than I do. What I have installed basically on that pc is Star wars galaxies, Horizons Beta, and Ut2003. I install NO crap like ms office stuff on that pc and it is XP pro without SP1.
Background tasks:
Gigabyte Easytune
Nostomo profile
Creative Audigy 2 related
logitech mx700

stopped indexing on drive
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, silver twinplex, alphacool mosfets
X-FI Fat
WD Raptor 74GB/Aquadrive
Coolermaster Stacker 830 3/8" tubing
PCP&C 510w SLI
2405FPW 24"
42" Sony Plasma
Boston 5.1

Last edited by Badash; 08-06-03 at 05:12 PM.
Badash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 04:50 PM   #46
Cellar Dweller

Default Two different possible cures...

I've found that with my 5800 Ultra and my 5600 Ultra that if you are using Windows XP that this is caused from the Restore feature. If you disable SYSTEM RESTORE on your drives that this problem goes away, also stop indexing on drives. It also can be caused by a smaller power supply.

I recently had a systems video stop functioning correctly and displayed only a large bar code of colors even during the POST with my 5800 Ultra, I RMA this card back and bought the 5600 Ultra and had same problem. I then RMA my motherboard and bought a 2.0 and sent my 1.0 board back thinking it was the AGP slot because PCI cards worked.

The 5800 Ultra worked fine since March of this year before this happened, I had a 350 Watt Power Supply.

Once I realized it wasn't either the video nor the motherboard, I replaced the Power Supply with a 600 Watt and everything has been fine since.

These are just other considerations to check.

I also have a system with a 4600 TI and found that with this card that depending on the motherboard that you must disable the fast write or where it asks SUPPORTED which if I remember correctly is for FAST WRITE within bios to fix any problems with those cards, lock ups and stutters go away.
1.5 Gig Corsair XMS RAM Dual Channel
(2) Plextor CDRW Drives
(2) 80 Gig Seagate SATA Hard Drives
Cellar Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 04:55 PM   #47
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

Question: Does the flickering get worse or better when you change the clock rates of the core and/or memory?

If it is an internal harmonic causing this, then changing the timings should affect the problem.
Skuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 05:28 PM   #48
LycosV

I'm not sure if this is the same problem. But my Geforce3 experiences what can only be described as "shaking" whenever I run certain games. The two games where it always happens are Civilization III, and Empire Earth. The shaking on mine can be resolved by DECREASING the refresh rate of the monitor to 60. I know that a lot of people can't hande 60, but that's how I fix the problem on my card.

On the noise issue when scrolling the mouse. It's got to be a monitor thing. I just noticed it now (My room is quiet for once) and if I turn off the monitor and scroll the mouse it goes away.

Anyway, I'm not sure these are the same problems but I have seen the "shaking" thing on multiple computers, always in those games.

LycosV
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 10:51 PM   #49
DrQ

if any of you have galaxies go down in tattoine walk out in the desert the flickering (change of brightness in lines) is very very noticable! its been driving me nuts

Now am noticing it in other games too like wc3 when its loading the new level and its showing the backfround that shows you the map i can see it flickering!

am 4 hours away from santa clara if they dont get enough people with this issue and they need more I will drive down there!

thx
DrQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 11:02 PM   #50
ronterry

I have to step in here for a minute...Please spot blaming it on people’s hardware, hell my 9800P is working fine & before that my GeForce3 worked great. IT'S THE CARD, nothing more. Weather it's drivers, bios, or the board - It's still the card...

No one here should have to replace this, or replace that to get the 5900 to work properly.
I'm sorry, but I for one am not going to wrap my case in aluminum foil or what ever...

BTW: Mine was on an APC BackUps Pro 1100...

Ron
1024 Megs XMS PC-3500
Raid 0+2
Audigy 2
ronterry is offline   Reply With Quote