Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-03, 11:17 PM   #526
StitcheS

Send a message via ICQ to StitcheS
Default Re: StitcheS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rytr
Have you been following this thread? There have been several very good suggestions on fixing the flickering problem. However, most of those were case specific and did not help the majority who were experiencing the flickering problem.

It this driver does not fix your problem maybe one of those remedies previously suggested might.
I have tried probably all of them. And still nothing. I even unclocked my video card and computer, still nothing. I am not sure what it is from. I have a 460W PSU, and the card is connected directly to the PSU.

I have no idea.

I have emailed nVidia!
Old 09-09-03, 11:37 PM   #527
mortaldivine

The new drivers work for me and I notice about a 10c hike in temps
mortaldivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 12:52 AM   #528
PsychoAus

Quote:
I'd like to hear from Atlas37, PsychoAus and Flavius. Have you downloaded the driver fix? Did it fix your 5900 problems? Just wondering where you guys are now.
Maxpower, I'm right here. I dont even have a Fx5900 card, never said I did. I have owned Nividia products since day one, still have a TI4600 in my box as well.

Its good to see that a driver fix may have fixed a lot fo peoples problems in the flickering department but as I am about to buy another high end card I still am leaning towards ATI due to the superior Pixel Shadrer Performance.

If the magical Det 50's cure other issues such as the trilinear selection for games, pixel shader performance and IQ then I might throw another $1000AUD their way.

HL2 is a game I am really looking forward to and the quotes by Carmack and Gabe Newell re the FX cards performance in these areas still has me doubtful.

You guys keep beta testing this hardware for us and we can make the right purchase decision soon!

PsychoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:19 AM   #529
ishak540m

Anyone else think this driver has a problem with the Jedi Academy demo?

Current system:
Cooler Master ATC-710-SX1 Silver Aluminum Case\2 Blue Cold Cathode Lights\4 COOLER MASTER TLF-R82 Neon L.E.D. Fans\Antec[TrueBlue] 480 watt Power Supply with 2 blue LED fans\Intel D875PBZLK 875P Canterwood Gigabit LAN 8X AGP\Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 512k 800MHz FSB | socket 478 w/ Hyper Threading Technology\Zalman CNPS5700D-CU Pure Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 478\2 sticks of Corsair DDR400 512MB PC-3200 C2 XMS | (extreme memory speed series\2 Seagate 80GB 7200rpm SERIAL ATA Barracudas\Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB\LITE-ON 16x DVD 48x CD-ROM Drive\Lite On 52x24x52 CD-RW\Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Drive\Cooler Master Round Floppy drive cable 18-inch with pull tabs\Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2\Logitech Z-680 5.1's\Mitsubishi DP930SB-BK 19" CRT Monitor\Microsoft Windows XP Professional
My Ibanez S2120XAV (Bridge PU - Steve's Special, Neck PU - Humbucker From Hell.)|AMP: Mesa Boogie Mark IV
My Taylor 814CE w/ Blender
ishak540m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:38 AM   #530
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
It seems a little strange (to me anyway) that just a 12 degree change would matter especially since the card's threshold is 140C. Are you anywhere close to hitting the threshold?

Edit: also, when you say "clock back" do you mean you lowered oc'ed settings or did you have to lower the default settings.
When I say I clocked back, I meant I had been running it at 475/875 (any higher and It would lockup), but I had to clock it back 6mhz each with the 45.33s because I was getting the same sort of crash/lockup as before.

The little bit of extra heat or whatever the drivers did must have done it.

Doesn't matter anyway, as I have removed the drivers already. I would rather have great stereo and flickering in games that are not stereo compatible (I can't see the flickering in stereo) than no stereo at all.

I know it is probably a really low priority for Nvidia, but maybe they'll fix it soon...or maybe E-Dimensional will just go out of business!
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64

Last edited by RoachMojo; 09-10-03 at 01:51 AM.
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:47 AM   #531
drisley

Quote:
Originally posted by RoachMojo
When I say I clocked back, I meant I was running it at 475/875 (any higher and It would lockup), but I had to clock it back 6mhz each because I was getting the same sort of crash/lockup.

The little bit of extra heat or whatever the drivers did must have done it.

Doesn't matter anyway, as I have removed the drivers already. I would rather have great stereo and flickering in games that are not stereo compatible (I can't see the flickering in stereo) than no stereo at all.
Hmmm... perhaps the flicker (I prefer pulsing) was related to the stereo drivers in some way? How do the stereo drivers work, anyway?
drisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:58 AM   #532
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by drisley
Hmmm... perhaps the flicker (I prefer pulsing) was related to the stereo drivers in some way? How do the stereo drivers work, anyway?
Nah, in the troubleshooting process I had removed the drivers. At one point after a reformat/reinstall, I didn't even install the stereo drivers as I though they could be the culprit.

I don't know how they work, technically, but they were really good. They added their own control panels in the driver properties and you could tweak all kinds of stereo visual properties.

Now that I think about it, good stereo was really dependant on high refresh rates, and maybe what NV had to do was remove...hell, I don't know...

[EDIT] I hope that some other stereo users can confirm this problem is with the drivers, and not my system.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64

Last edited by RoachMojo; 09-10-03 at 02:01 AM.
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:04 AM   #533
DuckMaestro

awesome, the new driver solved my flicker problems

tested UT2K3 and SWG and they look beautiful now

thanks nvidia

-duck
DuckMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:36 AM   #534
Aqua Man

Wohoo! Nvidia

I didn't have the flicker problem but it did fix the noise issue.

Thx NV.
Aqua Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:41 AM   #535
Snivilist

WOW! it really fixed the flickering...

but i still get the noise with the surra.bat testfile.

but it seems it doesn't appear anymore in IE even without disabling the avdvanced scrolling feature (dunno how's it called in english versions)
Snivilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:54 AM   #536
windwaver

Thumbs up

See, I guess my decision to stick with nVidia wasn't wrong at all . ATi doesn't seem to care about their 'wavey lines' anymore. I guess they are too busy calculating how many cards they sold rather than giving good support to their users.

Just look at how fast nVidia came out with the solution .
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-03, 03:59 AM   #537
bloodbob

WOW THEY FIXED FLICKERING WITH A DRIVER WTF!!!

THATS SOO INTERESTING

Possible changes that I could think of

1. Voltage change?? doubt it could be done in a driver but maybe
2. Frequence change?? well this is actually possible as they could change the frequence of the signal generator greatly and then change multipulier this could solve the problem.
3. Something to do with macrovision <--- I think this is a strong possiblity for some reason macrovision might have been forced on all the time and they have disabled it.

Anyone else with ideas?? maybe a moderator might wanna remove this post and make a new thread for ideas on how it was fixed we could come up with some interesting and wacky ideas.
Old 09-10-03, 03:59 AM   #538
Snivilist

you call this fast? I've been waiting for more then 2 month now...

well good that they could fix this so easily... but hey this is all about 500$ cards...
Snivilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 04:02 AM   #539
GPSnoopy

YAHOOOOOO!!!! Can't wait to to try them, unfortunatly I'm at the office for the moment... I'm just boiling at the idea of installing this fix.

My idea is that they changed the power management of the GPU. So that the GPU uses power in a more linear way, but they probably disabled some clever power management features which would explain why the GPU runs hotter now.
GPSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 04:07 AM   #540
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

so much for "nvidia doesn't care for their customers" and "nvidia rushed the 5900 out of the door, there's a problem with PCB"

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Man I love that combination! It's like a narcotic.

It seems it fixed the noise issue as well. Need to play around with it more though.
There is actually no fix in the 45.33 included for the scrolling noise but the changes made in the new driver to prevent the flickering may also cure the scrolling noise for some users under some occasions...

Guess you're one of the lucky then

Last edited by Morrow; 09-10-03 at 04:10 AM.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 04:09 AM   #541
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
so much for "nvidia doesn't care for their customers" and "nvidia rushed the 5900 out of the door"

There is actually no fix in the 45.33 included for the scrolling noise but the changes made in the new driver to prevent the flickering may also cure the scrolling noise for some users under some occasions...

Guess you're one of the lucky then
If voltage was raised, that may have fixed it for me.

EDIT: it's still there, but much less noticeable. I can't hear it unless I put my head into the case
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:44 AM   #542
Aardie

As well as the flickering issue in games it has also fixed a Really bad flicker issue on the TVin on composite and svideo (pal) which has been there since 44.90s on a Leadtek 5900. I was about to send the card back for a replacement but was holding back for the 50 dets. Now I can play BF1942 without my eyes falling out of there sockets

Regards

Keith
Aardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:47 AM   #543
Jeffus

Send a message via ICQ to Jeffus

I've not downloaded the new Driver yet (shall when I get home), but it appears this only fixes the flickering issue (no gripes there!!) but the the only difference with these new drivers is JUST THAT!! The flickering issue being resolved.... I have issues with FOG in MOH (or Q3 games OpenGL)... so I'll still have to wait..... ahhhh, cest la vie!!

I solved my noise issues by upgrading to an ANtec TP 550 PSU... this really worked!! So I know it was a power issue...
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
1gig mem DDR333
MSI Starforce Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256 VTD (current driver 52.16Whql)
2 x Maxtor 120gig HDs
Logitec MX700 mouse
Audigy 2 sound + 5.1 Surround Logitech speaker system
XP Pro + all service packs, ALL device drivers upto date etc....
and the usual..
Jeffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 06:38 AM   #544
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffus
I have issues with FOG in MOH (or Q3 games OpenGL)... so I'll still have to wait..... ahhhh, cest la vie!!
The detonators 52.xx are coming out end of September / beginning October...

Be patient just a little bit more!

BTW: it's "C'est la vie!"

Last edited by Morrow; 09-10-03 at 06:42 AM.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 07:19 AM   #545
NKVD
Radeon 5900 Ultra

I wonder how they fixed it ?? They made "V-sync ON" by default for all games, and there is no way to turn it off ?

If you ban me, I will change my IP, delete old cookies, and will register a new nickname....So I will come back and hunt you down, boy.....
NKVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 08:22 AM   #546
brunoco

solved my severe flickering issue complately.

Am just curious what got changed.

About vsync on always thats strange not on my machine. The 45.33 work fine and allow me to set vsync off or on when i want.
brunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 08:25 AM   #547
B_Jones

Quote:
Anyone else think this driver has a problem with the Jedi Academy demo?
YES.

On the 2nd map of the Jedi Academy Demo, the graphics are all white washed, you can't see your hand in front of your face so to speak.

I reinstalled the 45.23's and it's fine. I was gonna buy this game next week too...
B_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:12 AM   #548
macachia

the pulsing sounds are still there with the new 45.33 drivers, but they are less noticeable.

i hope nvidia fixes these pulsing sounds while scrolling wiht newer dets (maybe 50.xx? 52.xx?)
macachia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-03, 09:17 AM   #549
The Baron

Quote:
On the 2nd map of the Jedi Academy Demo, the graphics are all white washed, you can't see your hand in front of your face so to speak
I would blame Jedi Academy rather than NVIDIA's driver. JA has all sorts of problems with ATI drivers as well.
Old 09-10-03, 09:17 AM   #550
Flavius

Well, as one of the most vocal doomsayers and most extreme testers on this topic, I am really taken aback.

Quote:
I'd like to hear from Atlas37, PsychoAus and Flavius.
I'm afraid you'll be waiting quite a while, as I sold my FX 5900 on eBay weeks ago because of the flicker issue. I was almost ready to buy a 9800XT. But I like my games compatible.

I will probably try to buy another FX card soon and I'll report back the results. If it doesn't fix my problem, I'll be an ATI lifelong fan.

As for what they did to fix it? Well, me reporting that removing AUX power fixed it probably helped. And the core temp changes make sense. All along I was saying this was some kind of power regulation issue, maybe due to power saving features of the card meant to lower core temps and enable maniacs like you guys to overclock a $500 card.

I want to hear from everyone for has this problem fixed now. The fact that one person still had it is a bit worrisome, but this has restored a lot of my faith in Nvidia.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote