Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-03, 09:23 AM   #551
B_Jones

Does this problem affect 5600 ultra's?
B_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:27 AM   #552
Clay

Default To Atlas37, PsychoAus and Flavius

Thanks for responding guys and your testing efforts are appreciated I'm sure.

The next month or so will be very interesting. HL2 is obviously poised to be the new watermark for video cards. The 50-series Dets will hopefully unleash/improve PS 2.0 performance.

I hope StitcheS continues to keep us all posted on his still present flickering problem.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:31 AM   #553
Flavius

Quote:
I hope StitcheS continues to keep us all posted on his still present flickering problem.
I'm really hoping Stitches just doesn't know what 60Hz is or how to do a clean driver install, because I'm about to plunk down $350 again for an Albatron 5900!!!!
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:40 AM   #554
drisley

You know what's weird. Even though the drivers fix my pulsing problem, I still have that problem with the "flash" just before opening any media (avi, mpg, quicktime).

I reported it a couple places before, and others noticed it too. When you open a video, about 25% of the time the screen will quickly/subtly "flash". It looks exactly like the pulsing problem, but is very quick. If you already have one video window open, then the flash wont occur if you open another video window.

I am surprised that it still happens with the new drivers since it looks SO much like the flicker problem.

Also, my temps are still rising. Now 52C idle with the new drivers. Nvidia must have increased the voltages or something. Almost back to 5800 temps
drisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:45 AM   #555
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
I'm really hoping Stitches just doesn't know what 60Hz is or how to do a clean driver install, because I'm about to plunk down $350 again for an Albatron 5900!!!!
I think he knows what he's doing (I get that impression at least). It is odd that this new driver has fixed everyone else's problems but his.
Old 09-10-03, 09:57 AM   #556
King_HooF

The flickering IS gone

I never doubted a second they would fix it.

Seems to have been something with the fans because my temp raised about 20C in both idle and 3D mode.
King_HooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 10:12 AM   #557
Flavius

Is this problem fixed for BFG cards? I am actually going to order a BFG 5900 for under $275 or so now that the problem is supposedly fixed. Can I assume that 5900s can now NOT be overclocked to Ultra levels like before because of the core temp change??
Old 09-10-03, 10:20 AM   #558
ChrisRay

All I can say is this is a great step is restoring some Nvidia faith
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 10:32 AM   #559
Flavius

Quote:
Seems to have been something with the fans because my temp raised about 20C in both idle and 3D mode.
No, I doubt the fans are running any lower. Think about it. There are dozens of different fan types, many probably going at different speeds, some cards have 1 fan, some have 2, etc. I actually think the card is running hotter, probably because they are doing something different with card power management. A driver fix for this is truly impressive, proves Nvidia have the best drivers in the world. I was amazed at just how easy my Nforce2 board was to set up driver-wise. Even easier than my Intel D875PBZ, and that's saying something.
Old 09-10-03, 10:42 AM   #560
axl

Flickering is gone, but the scrolling sound is still there only not so loud anymore.
axl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-03, 10:51 AM   #561
Flavius

I never noticed any scrolling sound, just flickering before. Maybe my sound absorbing foam lining my case blocked it out.
Old 09-10-03, 11:34 AM   #562
Jeffus

Send a message via ICQ to Jeffus

OK!! OK!! These new drivers have solved more than the FLICKERING/QUIVERING issues!! They have also fixed the FOG issue on MOH:AA + SH!! (OpenGL Games!!) YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

These drivers are NOT just updated to address FLICKERING

Nvidia, thanks!!
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
1gig mem DDR333
MSI Starforce Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256 VTD (current driver 52.16Whql)
2 x Maxtor 120gig HDs
Logitec MX700 mouse
Audigy 2 sound + 5.1 Surround Logitech speaker system
XP Pro + all service packs, ALL device drivers upto date etc....
and the usual..
Jeffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 12:22 PM   #563
Flavius

Fixed fog? Nice! I just nabbed a BFG 5900 from BestBuy. It was manufactured all the way in January, which is kinda scary! I will test it out tonight or tomorrow and post if it fixes my flicker issue with the new driver. It had better or back to BestBuy it goes! Has anyone had any luck OC'ing the 5900 to Ultra levels with this NEW driver?

It doesn't surprise me that some extra fixes were included. Judging from the version, at least 10 driver source builds were done in between the official driver and this new one. They don't just arbitrarily pick version numbers you know. Every point increase corresponds to a build level.
Old 09-10-03, 12:28 PM   #564
mortaldivine

The drivers alos fixed my MOHAA/SH fog.........weeeeeeeeeeee

It didnt fix my low FPS in JK2 or the new demo...........I think im the only one having that prob.
mortaldivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 12:39 PM   #565
Clay

Quote:
I just nabbed a BFG 5900 from BestBuy
If you want the latest/greatest BFG 5900U (it has a custom HSF with blue led lit fans) then you might want to take the one you have back and wait for BB to get a new shipment. (see this link for image: http://www.************/Material/Imag...ra_005_big.jpg)
Old 09-10-03, 01:10 PM   #566
Flavius

My BFG 5900 has the same dual fan copper heatsink, but I don't think it has LEDs... not that I care about LEDs, I dont have a see thru case. I got the non-Ultra... didn't really want to spend the money for an Ultra. Using the *same* heatsink design, I was able to overclock my previous Chaintech 5900 to Ultra levels without a problem. I hope I will be able to do the same despite the higher temp core without introducing flicker again. Any luck anyone??
Old 09-10-03, 01:16 PM   #567
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
I was able to overclock my previous Chaintech 5900 to Ultra levels without a problem. I hope I will be able to do the same despite the higher temp core without introducing flicker again. Any luck anyone??
From what I've read, the NV3x line of cards has a very high heat tolerance so you should be able to overclock without too much trouble. Good luck.

And I'm very glad to hear that these new drivers are helping so many people. Now stop hanging around here and go play some games!
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:16 PM   #568
letsel

Im a fool to talk and think of Nvidia the way i did. Im sorry. BTW i did not get a ATI!!! and never will Awsome!!! didnt think drivers could do this.
But any way:THANK YOU NVIDIA
letsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:42 PM   #569
goblin

Flav, i agree thats some good stuff you have there but... Even brand new equipment can have flaws. Maybe you have a gimped MB, PS etc. Never assume if its new that its perfect.

I have had brand new HDs go bad, great MBs with faulty voltage regulators etc. It still can be your equipment. The only way to know for sure is to pull your card and test it on another system. You may have to change some components to find what is going on. It very well maybe the video card.

Linksys says the same thing about their noisey routers. My is so loud with buzzing noise it drives me crazy. It turns out there are using cheap DC voltage coils that let the frequency go uncapped into the audible range. Linksys claims the noise is normal. Its like having a new car with squeaky brakes, yea the brakes work but they sound like hell.

It could be some marginal components on the video card that only mess up in certain situations, mb combos etc. Hopefully Nvidia will step up to the plate and help out.

Quote:
If an Intel D875PBZ motherboard, with Kingston RAM, Antec SX830 case, Enermax PSU, $30 Pabst case fans, IBM 19" P97 Trinitron, Maxtor SATA HD, Logitech input devices, and Audigy 2 card are not above average equipment, then what the #@% is? This is has nothing to do with equipment quality. I had the flicker using top of the line, rock solid components on a fresh clean XP up to date install.

NVIDIA IS GOING TO HOLD A SPEECH tomorrow 9/04 at 3:55 PM, which can be seen HERE: http://www.wallstreetwebcasting.com/...t/kbro3/nvda/. I have no idea if they will mention this bug, but maybe they will mention the ETA on their next hopefully FIXED cards! (You have to register but they just want your name and e-mail. It's free.)
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 01:59 PM   #570
goblin

Off Topic but good to see another Atari boy on the web! 4bit color lol. Had the 800-Mega STE all good stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
How many times does one have to repeat it: There's nothing wrong with the cards!
Old 09-10-03, 02:06 PM   #571
Flavius

Quote:
Hopefully Nvidia will step up to the plate and help out.
Dude, get with the program. You are sooo last week. The problem has now been fixed by drivers.
Old 09-10-03, 02:47 PM   #572
Badash

Who has the bfg 5900U with the dual fan heatsink in stock online?
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, silver twinplex, alphacool mosfets
X-FI Fat
WD Raptor 74GB/Aquadrive
Coolermaster Stacker 830 3/8" tubing
PCP&C 510w SLI
2405FPW 24"
42" Sony Plasma
Boston 5.1
Badash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-03, 02:55 PM   #573
ebe
Were you PLAYING lately ?

Yehaa !!

I'was coming back to nvidia after the R9700 freez fiasco ! I doubted Nvidia would do anything else than releaseing A revision2...

Well, Good. They were able to solve the problem "softwarerly"

Praise to them.

THANKS NVIDIA.

EBE
ebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:06 PM   #574
incubusdaemon

Default how it works?

Without going into the elecrical enginnering detail too far, the control the drivers actually have over the card is quite remarkable. While they can't do anything they want, any hook in the firmware for the card can be accessed and then set. They can change the signal the card outputs to the monitor, and I suspect some sort of internal signal on the card was interfering with the output signal to the monitor, causing what looked like a flicker but was in fact a signal error.

The flickering issue i suspect, given the number of problems this .1 driver increment has fixed, was due to a bug in the programming that resulted in interference. This is opposed to the drivers introducing a workaround for the interference issue.

Anyway, this is all speculation and my major point is this sort of thing is easily fixed by a driver, once the problem and solution are known.

edit: I forgot to mention- I have a laptop with a GF4 MX go, so I haven't seen the flicker problem in action.

-incubusdaemon
incubusdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:12 PM   #575
goblin

I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it. I agree that they are probably working barely within tight tolerance.

It is know that many Nvidia cards have poor filters and thus have blurrier high rez text vs ATI or Matrox. Thats not Nvidias fault its the cheap ass OEMS using poor quality parts.

ATI makes its own cards and I tend to buy them vs OEMs as I don't trust them.

Does canopus still make Nvidia cards? They usually made them better than referance using high grade parts. They cost more but they gave you peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by _Pablo
I know it's pointless to speculate as to the cause of the flicker, given that Nvidia and it's crack (crack if we disregard their crappy PS2.0 implementation...and the cooling...and the flicker obviously) team of engineers cannot fix the problem in a few weeks. But reading half the crap that's being posted here by people claiming to be almost inside Nvidia we may as well just wonder out loud.

For me there are three main features I have noticed:

1) blinky.exe triggers the flicker at will as do most 3D apps with bright displays.
2) DVI digtal connection to an LCD does not suffer from the flicker.
3) Moving my card between several machinesm, with different everything, from CPU to monitors and it did not change the flicker at all.

This suggests:

1) The problem is caused by the card, given that blinky.exe is not executing some really crazy code causing the CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/HD to generate any unusual EMI.

2) The problem is probably on the card itself as opposed to the GPU, as the data in the framebuffer is absolutely fine given that the LCD display is fine.

3) The problem is very unlikely given that I have tried the same card in 3 very different machines (as have many others) which would not produce exactly the same EMI.

So here is my paragraph of complete speculation (pending the real reason and some grovelling apologies from Nvidia...or one of their close firends):

Only a fugging idiot would continue to say that the problem is caused by environmental EMI alone. Given that almost all GFFX5900U are built to the reference design, it all goes to point to a problem with the DAC part of the board, perhaps it is caused by some unclean power on the board and is only noticable when the power drain of the GPU is more significant i.e. when doing 3D work. As someone mentioned about there being less capacitors on the release board that the prototypes, and with the noisy caps when using a lower spec PSU it all goes to point to a design that is just working at the margins of failiure, which would explain why many cards function perfectly well. I just hope the Nvidia fix doesn't further compromise the performance of this already underperforming board.

Just my 17.50 (the change I had left over from the 400 I spent on this lame racehorse).