Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-03, 03:15 PM   #576
goblin

Sorry Flav, your correct I have not been on this board in some time. There were a ton of posts after the one I replied to. I'm still reading through them to catch up. Thats awsome that drivers fixed the issue. What was causing it??? What exactly did the drivers do to fix it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Dude, get with the program. You are sooo last week. The problem has now been fixed by drivers.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:36 PM   #577
LordSpawn

somone forgot a semicolon
LordSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:55 PM   #578
Jericho

Quote:
Originally posted by LordSpawn
somone forgot a semicolon
Unbelievable! That is completely unacceptable!
1gb PC3200 Mushkin Dual Channel Kit
BFG Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb
Vantec Stealth 520 Watt PSU
Audigy 2
Sony X82 18.1 in. LCD Monitor
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:59 PM   #579
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Here, have one of mine ;

Old 09-10-03, 09:40 PM   #580
Flavius

THE FLICKER IS GONE, REPEAT, THE FLICKER IS GONE! This is from someone who tried everything and then some as early posts will confirm. It is absolutely fixed! Thanks NVIDIA! Now, I still have to return this card for another 5900 I think because this new one I bought has slighty blurry text and is bent so that the heatsink doesn't touch the RAM chips properly! . The 5900 I had before was alright though, gotta get lucky I guess.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 09:58 PM   #581
Rytr
SuperMod

Congratz Flavius and good luck on the next one!
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 11:13 PM   #582
Flavius

Quote:
Congratz Flavius and good luck on the next one
I may keep this one actually. After adjusting my monitor again it looks acceptable and the heatsink issue isn't preventing me from being super stable at Ultra speed 450/850. But I have a question! I know its the wrong thread, but please bear with me.... I need to know if this card is broken or not. In UT2K3 with everything maxed and 4xAA/8xAF, I am sometimes dipping to a low of 39 FPS in Antalus at 1024x768x32. The Icetomb level dips to a low of 16 FPS in the same res! In 0xAA/0xAF, the Nature part of 3DMark03 dips to 11 FPS after starting out at like 100 FPS?? My overall 3DMark01 and 03 scores are 15267 and 5876 respectively when clocked at Ultra level with 0xAA/0xAF. Are these acceptable scores and does anyone else get such extreme FPS dips at those settings? I'm running 875P chipset P4 at 2700Mhz. THANKS!!
Old 09-10-03, 11:41 PM   #583
Rytr
SuperMod

Your 3DMk01 and 03 scores look OK.

My minimum fps in UT2K3 Antalus stays in the mid 50's @ 1024x768 w/4xAA/8xAF settings. My review was posted today on the 5900U and includes a number of results at various settings in UT2K3. You might compare yours with those posted in the review and if you have any questions you can pm me or post here.

My P4 w/875P board is not ready yet or I would run some results for you to compare.

Edit:
Just checked my notes, your 3DMk01 and 03 scores may be a little on the low side. Mine runs over 16K in '01 and in the 58xx's in '03. I'm currently running a 2500+ on a NF2 board with PC3200.

Last edited by Rytr; 09-10-03 at 11:46 PM.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 02:22 AM   #584
GPSnoopy

Fixed the flickering here too. Yeeeaaaaaaaaah.
GPSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-03, 11:41 AM   #585
FluffyKittens

Default FLICKER / SOUND NOISE NOT FIXED!!! Just FUDGED!

READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------

Ok from what i can tell the 45.33 drivers do something to fudge the problem but do not fix the underlying cause which i suspect is hardware related.

Try this:

if you have the directx 9 SDK (software developers kit , you can download it from MS developers site http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/ ) run the C++ MFCfog demo which can be found in the samples browser.

Run the exe and a small simple directx demo starts to run and as such, at a VERY high FRAMERATE.

Now listen to your FX5900 SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well mine does)

Another problem I have noticed is that when running a direct3D app I'm developing at a high framerate AND in full screen, RED/PINK and GREEN lines / interference can be seen in the top right of the screen.

Ok so we dont run progs at this high frame rate normally, but even through the noise is reduced in normal use, I can still faintly hear a change in high pitch whine when using the scroll wheel in IE.

Also I've noticed a 10C increase in temp with the new drivers.

Is this an inherrent problem with all FX5900's are just some manufacturers using cheap parts?

Does any one else notice these problems on their card???

After paying PREMIUM MONEY for high end card shouldnt we get better?? like a replacement!!! rather than a FUDGED DRIVER.

As an Nvidia consumer I feel VERY let down, if the product is faulty admitt it!!!, take care of the consumer if some are faulty replace them, if the whole design is faulty reduce the price of the cards.

Once you get a bad name your on the slippery slope down.

Please post if you find the same conclusions as I do.
Old 09-11-03, 12:33 PM   #586
pars_andy

Nope. Sorry. Don't see any of that...except the temperature jump. Still well within safe limits with my heavily overclocked card thoughl.
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 12:36 PM   #587
Clay

Default Re: FLICKER / SOUND NOISE NOT FIXED!!! Just FUDGED!

I have a BFG 5900U that never had filckering problem anyway but here are some thoughts about your post:

Quote:
Originally posted by FluffyKittens
Run the exe and a small simple directx demo starts to run and as such, at a VERY high FRAMERATE.

Now listen to your FX5900 SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well mine does)
I might try this if I ever get bored of playing actual games.

Quote:
Another problem I have noticed is that when running a direct3D app I'm developing at a high framerate AND in full screen, RED/PINK and GREEN lines / interference can be seen in the top right of the screen.

Ok so we dont run progs at this high frame rate normally, but even through the noise is reduced in normal use, I can still faintly hear a change in high pitch whine when using the scroll wheel in IE.
A Direct3D app that you're developing yourself? Has it been fully tested, free of bugs that might cause this, etc? WAG here but I doubt that many people will be playing your Direct3D app anyway.

Quote:
Also I've noticed a 10C increase in temp with the new drivers.
Yes, this has been noticed by others. It is still well within the engineering thresholds of the card though.

Quote:
Is this an inherrent problem with all FX5900's are just some manufacturers using cheap parts?
Some manufacturers do use cheap parts but most 5900s out there are reference designs (i.e. made by NVIDIA, sent to partners and partners affix their logo sticker onto fan casing)

Quote:
After paying PREMIUM MONEY for high end card shouldnt we get better?? like a replacement!!! rather than a FUDGED DRIVER.
Based on all of the positive feedback I don't think it is accurate to label this as a fudged driver. If your examples were given using actual games then you might have a point.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 01:40 PM   #588
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Stereo is broken.

It IS a fudged driver. Not a fix, but a workaround.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 07:13 PM   #589
LordSpawn

A video card is a piece of hardware that shoulden't require a specific driver for every game. It should have optimized drivers for newer games and a generic driver to handel everything else. maxpower dosen't care about anyone with a flickering problem or the fix since his seems to work properly on his machine. He is coming from the perspective of "na na, my card works and yours does not". He also accepts a product that dosen't live up to expectations. I would take any advice or comments from him with a grain of salt.
Old 09-11-03, 08:09 PM   #590
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by LordSpawn
A video card is a piece of hardware that shoulden't require a specific driver for every game. It should have optimized drivers for newer games and a generic driver to handel everything else. maxpower dosen't care about anyone with a flickering problem or the fix since his seems to work properly on his machine. He is coming from the perspective of "na na, my card works and yours does not". He also accepts a product that dosen't live up to expectations. I would take any advice or comments from him with a grain of salt.
This reeks of troll bait; in the off chance that you're being sincere though...

If you associate someone hopping on the bandwagon and talking out their a$$ with credible, salt-worthiness...then yes, please take my advice/comments with a grain of salt and just continue to listen to those you deem credible.

However, if you'll take the time to actually consider my responses to FluffyKittens you'll no doubt see that your inital reaction was incorrect. I was pointing out the fact that his examples were not really worth considering. Do you think they were? Are you going to be running his personally written Direct3D app? Do you intend to sit around and spend time with the C++ MFCfog demo? In short, I just didn't see his example as very meaningful. If, however, he had this problems with a game or actual application after having installed the 45.33 Dets then I would have responded with some attempts to help him figure out why.

I acknowledged the reported temperature increases.

Once again, the overwhelming majority of people (with the exception of SticheS) that installed the 45.33 Dets saw their problems solved. With the news about HL2 benchmark results today many people are tossing their stones at NVIDIA. That's understandable and very predictable...funny how 24 hours ago people were singing about NVIDIA and actually apologizing for some of the asinine statesments they'd made previously.

I especially take umbrage with your following comments:
Quote:
maxpower dosen't care about anyone with a flickering problem or the fix since his seems to work properly on his machine. He is coming from the perspective of "na na, my card works and yours does not". He also accepts a product that dosen't live up to expectations.
[list=a][*]I most certainly do care about anyone with a flickering problem, just do a search.[*]My BFG 5900U does not "seem" to work properly on my machine. It does, in fact, work properly on my machine. How can you have the gall to imply that it does not? Have you tested it? Have you played well over 200 hours of a mulititude of games with it?[*]I am not coming from a "na na" perspective. What purpose would that serve? What benefit would that be to our readers? I have no desire for self-aggrandizement regarding my video card performance. How ridiculous.[*]My 5900U actually does live up to my expectations...so far. I don't have the HL2 benchmark yet to see for myself. With all other games that I currently own, however, it is on par with my 9800Pro. I have no problem openly admitting (which I have numerous times) that my 9800Pro is a better buy, is a bit faster in some games and just seems "smoother" overall. However, I also have noticed many cases where the 5900U has better IQ, AA and AF ...it all depends on the game/scene you comare against though.[/list=a]

You've obviously struck a nerve with me. I'm guessing that you probably could care less and that's fine. I will not stand for someone to blather out false statements about my motives and sincerity here in the capacity of this website. This is not a simple matter of us "agreeing to disagree". You'll find that I do not go about the forums looking to argue or put people down. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and civility. Some people get their jolllies by trolling or beating their chests...I do not. I am here to help out our readers, to help find answers and to moderate.

I respectfully request that you retract your unfounded statements and apologize. I won't hold my breath, though, because based on your post I most definitely take anything you say with a grain of salt.

I do hope that you will prove me wrong though. I like to see things end on a good note and with common sense.

Last edited by Clay; 09-11-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 08:31 PM   #591
MikeC
Administrator

Hey Max, we all know your a good guy. There's always somebody who speaks from the dark ignore it and know you do a good job at NVNEWS.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 08:38 PM   #592
Clay

Thanks Mike. If he's just trolling then I'll ignore it. Otherwise, I think it's worth taking the time to make at least one attempt at standing up for myself. People can disagree with me all day long, that's fine and they have every right to do so. LordSpawn did more than disagree with me though, he made false statements about my motives and credibility here at nV News.
Old 09-11-03, 10:19 PM   #593
OWA

I doubt anyone takes him seriously. You're in a better position than most to provide commentary / observations and the fact that you're objective...well, I guess that just doesn't jive with some. Anyway, don't let it bother you and keep up the good work.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 10:22 PM   #594
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
I doubt anyone takes him seriously. You're in a better position than most to provide commentary / observations and the fact that you're objective...well, I guess that just doesn't jive with some. Anyway, don't let it bother you and keep up the good work.
Thanks OWA. I don't intend to divert the focus of this thread but I do appreciate your comments.
Old 09-11-03, 11:19 PM   #595
LordSpawn

Default Re: Re: FLICKER / SOUND NOISE NOT FIXED!!! Just FUDGED!

This is kind of what i thought as i was reading the post.

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
I might try this if I ever get bored of playing actual games.
Who cares as long as it works for me.

Quote:
A Direct3D app that you're developing yourself? Has it been fully tested, free of bugs that might cause this, etc? WAG here but I doubt that many people will be playing your Direct3D app anyway.
It coulden't be NVIDIA since they're professionals. It must be your buggy programming. Since your app dosen't apply to the masses who cares about your problems.

Quote:
Yes, this has been noticed by others. It is still well within the engineering thresholds of the card though.
I know this won't happen but If in the next release of drivers the temp goes up another 10 degrees would it bother you? I guess it depends on how people justify how much is acceptable.

Quote:
Based on all of the positive feedback I don't think it is accurate to label this as a fudged driver. If your examples were given using actual games
Based off all the positive feedback that people can start enjoying the card the way it should of been out off the box. Who cares if your if your trying to develop something because this card was made just games.
Old 09-11-03, 11:34 PM   #596
PsychoAus

Well one problem fixed and another raises its head for Nvidia.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=17802

If they can only get frames by using an optomised 16 bit precision and even then the FX cards dont compete what hope is there? Even the Det 50's will be scrutinised beyond belief by reviewers and you can bet your last dollar, although you probably spent that on your FX card, they will have 'trade-offs' in the DX9 compliance to be competative.

Heres the full deal from the Valve press release over here.

Not pretty, not pretty at all.
PsychoAus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-03, 11:50 PM   #597
Flavius

Quote:
Not pretty, not pretty at all.
No kidding. Now flicker is gone but I have a new problem: So what if I get nice 3DMark scores of 15000 and 5800 when I am getting slowdowns in UT2K3 of down to SIX FRAMES PER SECOND in 4XAA/4XAF in the DM-Icetomb map at 1024x768?! That's unacceptable. I'm sure the 9800XT will do way better here, so back this goes again, and I'll be an ATI guy for now at least. I really tried Nvidia, and I really appreciate you fixed the flicker, but you seem to have spent all your engineering efforts getting to .13 micron instead of focusing on actual GPU design. Quite sad. I hope BestBuy takes this back with no hassle.
Old 09-11-03, 11:57 PM   #598
LordSpawn

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
I hope BestBuy takes this back with no hassle.
Do you have to pay a restocking fee each time you bring it back? Will this be your second time taking it back?
Old 09-12-03, 12:09 AM   #599
Flavius

Quote:
Do you have to pay a restocking fee each time you bring it back? Will this be your second time taking it back?
First time, I bought it from Allstarshop, who were very rude to me about the return. They wanted 15% restocking to boot. I sold the card on eBay for more than I would have gotten after restocking. Lost about $50. Now I bought the 2nd 5900 at a local BestBuy store that has no restocking fee, but they might bitch to me about the return. Should have gotten it at CircuitCity... I'm sure it will work out though. In any event, I'm holding out for 9800XT and Catalyst 3.8. That should be quite something. Maybe all (as opposed to 50%) of my UT2K3 maps will be playable at 4x/8x at 1024 with everything maxed. That's my dream!
Old 09-12-03, 02:25 AM   #600
Jeffus

Send a message via ICQ to Jeffus

MAXPOWER.... you also have my support, you've given plenty of valid/plausable explinations to many peoples issue.... much appreciated and keep up the good work!

Having read the thread (whooah!! Poetry), regarding C++ SDK... (no I haven't downloaded it yet.....).. I have noticed that I get that noise in IE when scrolling.. only faint but I have to admit it is actually there. I don't seem to get it in normal windows only in IE..

I have noticed a slight stutter on some games since updating to the new drivers (no flicker!!).. I.e. Vietcong, CoD demo, Black Hawk down..... nothing too serious but just enough to be noticable. With such a fast GPU, coupled with everything else I realy wouldn't expect and stutters/slow downs.... I'm intrigued as to what Nvidia have done with these drivers?? I have also noticed a slight drop on 3DMark2001SE/2003 benchmarks

I personally was very dissapointed when I installed my worth of mega GFX card, only to find that it had ALL these issues. You would have thought (knowing that Nvidia found issues and fixed with a fudged driver), you would have thought that these issues would have manifested themselves sooner during Nvidias, testing phase??? I have been using Nvidia for several years now and must say that I will continue to go with Nvidia, but I think I might wait a good few months before updating to the next best GFX card (NV40)........

I am worried about HL2 as I have mainly upgraded my GFX card with this game in mind.... fingers crossed something gets sorted.

I get the impression that ATI owners like winding up Nvidia owners?? I don't want to get involved in this war, but I know of at least three people who have thrown away their 9800s and bought 5900Us... something to do with compatability issues??
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
1gig mem DDR333
MSI Starforce Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256 VTD (current driver 52.16Whql)
2 x Maxtor 120gig HDs
Logitec MX700 mouse
Audigy 2 sound + 5.1 Surround Logitech speaker system
XP Pro + all service packs, ALL device drivers upto date etc....
and the usual..
Jeffus is offline   Reply With Quote