Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-03, 08:56 AM   #601
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffus
MAXPOWER.... you also have my support, you've given plenty of valid/plausable explinations to many peoples issue.... much appreciated and keep up the good work!
Thanks Jeffus, much appreciated!

Quote:
I have noticed a slight stutter on some games since updating to the new drivers (no flicker!!).. I.e. Vietcong, CoD demo, Black Hawk down..... nothing too serious but just enough to be noticable. With such a fast GPU, coupled with everything else I realy wouldn't expect and stutters/slow downs.... I'm intrigued as to what Nvidia have done with these drivers?? I have also noticed a slight drop on 3DMark2001SE/2003 benchmarks
I haven't installed the 45.33's myself yet (since I don't have flickering and all)...but I have noticed some slight stutter with the 45.23's in some games...very negligable, but I don't notice this slight stutter with the 9800Pro as often. Background Windows services can always cause an occasional hiccup so I usually write it off to that.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 09:11 AM   #602
PsychoAus

Run End IT All before you fire up a game. It kills a lot of unnecessary stuff running in the background and can help recover resources.
PsychoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 09:23 AM   #603
Clay

Thanks for that link PsychoAus. I've used Black Viper's hardware profile settings (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm) and kind of prefer that approach. This does look interesting though and I'll check it out.
Old 09-12-03, 09:35 AM   #604
Jeffus

Send a message via ICQ to Jeffus

Yeah, I agree... I often have anti-virus software runnning in the background and some other automatic update stuff..... I REALLY must turn them off!! I only use them when online.....

WHEN WILL I LEARN!!
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
1gig mem DDR333
MSI Starforce Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256 VTD (current driver 52.16Whql)
2 x Maxtor 120gig HDs
Logitec MX700 mouse
Audigy 2 sound + 5.1 Surround Logitech speaker system
XP Pro + all service packs, ALL device drivers upto date etc....
and the usual..
Jeffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 09:52 AM   #605
PsychoAus

Maxpower, yeh I use the Vipers settings and such but End it All does still kill a few backround svchost task that aren't critical when your playing online.

Also Tweaktowns XP guide is excellent for tweaking XP to its full potential.

And if you really want to dig down deep into the system and tweak the hell out of it use their advanced guide over here.

End it All is good for games that use punkbuster as well.
Old 09-12-03, 10:03 AM   #606
Clay

PsychoAus, very cool. Thanks again for sharing that info. I will definitely use End it All. Yeah, that Tweaktown XP guide is excellent. Another great tweaking resource for XP is The Tweaking Experience Help File. The site is a bit slow but they have slick .chm file with tons of great info.
Old 09-12-03, 06:59 PM   #607
LordSpawn

CompUSA does has a 15% restocking fee. This is why you buy the warranty. CompUSA will deduct the $20 1 yr warranty (insted of giving it back to you) or deduct the 15% restocking fee which ever is LESS. So if the restock fee came out to $82 you can sacrifce your warranty and save yourself some cash.
LordSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 08:13 PM   #608
TheZsenyka

Angry Lack of luck

I'm getting tired of this. I also had the lovely flickering problem. I have found this forum a few hours ago by searching all over the net and it looked like it was not in vain. I was really excited and immediately downloaded the fixed driver. Cool! The flickering was gone. But i knew it just cannot be that easy. With the 45.23 driver my system was stable like a monolith in all games that i have ever played. I usually play about 6 hours on working days, and 12-14 hours at weekend. I tell you what: after installing the 45.33 driver i have started to play Medieval Total War and my system reset in ten minutes. Tried to play Battlecruiser Millennium Gold. Reset in five minutes. Tried a few other titles (UT2003, Jedi Knight Academy etc.) all of them reset in a few minutes. This is a huge disappointment. I got one problem fixed just to get another. This is simply laughable. This is so pathetic. What is this card good for? What a piece of junk this is? The gold plating is really shiny but it's still not enough to outshine the disappointment it brings. I have spent 400$ for what? My card flickers then resets, my ATI fan friends started to laugh at me when all this HL2 benchmark story started and now I feel a *little bit* humiliated. Oh, I'm sure NVIDIA WILL fix it some day. And then? The reset will be fixed and the games will be displayed upside down or what? I AM an NVIDIA fan but I'm not sure if i remain to be one. This is an outrage.

(Sorry for the bad english.)
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 256MB DDR2 ++ P4C 2.4GHz ++ Abit IC7 ++ 2x512MB Samsung CL 2.5-3-3-5 DDR433 DualChannel ++ 0.5TB HDD ++ Audigy2 ++ Philips CDRW/DVD Combo ++ Enermax 550W PSU ++ Chieftek Dragon FullTow ++ 21" IBM P260 FD Trinitron
TheZsenyka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-03, 09:55 PM   #609
Clay

Default Re: Lack of luck

Quote:
Originally posted by TheZsenyka
...I was really excited and immediately downloaded the fixed driver. Cool! The flickering was gone. But i knew it just cannot be that easy. With the 45.23 driver my system was stable like a monolith in all games that i have ever played. I usually play about 6 hours on working days, and 12-14 hours at weekend. I tell you what: after installing the 45.33 driver i have started to play Medieval Total War and my system reset in ten minutes. Tried to play Battlecruiser Millennium Gold. Reset in five minutes. Tried a few other titles (UT2003, Jedi Knight Academy etc.) all of them reset in a few minutes...(Sorry for the bad english.)
Did you uninstall the 45.23 driver, shutdown, power back on, and then install the 45.33 driver? You probably did but it's worth mentioning just in case you did not. If you did follow this procedure, did you notice that your card was running much hotter? That could be a factor and the 45.33 has been known to increase temps by around 10 degrees or so. That isn't enough extra heat to really matter but I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe try running with a room fan blowing into your case...just to find out if heat may be the problem or not. Also, if you had been overclocking your card I'd suggest going back to default clocks and re-incrementing from there to determine stability with the new drivers. Good luck!
Old 09-13-03, 10:53 PM   #610
Flavius

I returned my 2nd 5900 to BestBuy today, no restocking. I going for the 9800XT as soon as its out. It will take a LOT and I mean A LOT to get me to switch back to Nvidia again. NV40 would have to be significantly better than R420.... and I don't think that will happen. I think Nvidia has lost its crown.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 12:16 AM   #611
PsychoAus

Flavius, when is the 9800XT rumoured to show its head? Being 'down under' we have to wait a bit longer to get new hardware after initial release.

I am intending to buy a 9800 pro this week, but will wait till I see the specs of the XT and if they are improved over the pro, well then I'll wait for the XT to arrive.

I just want to have something waiting for HL2 when it hits town.

Old 09-14-03, 06:40 AM   #612
TheZsenyka

Default Re: Re: Lack of luck

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Did you uninstall the 45.23 driver, shutdown, power back on, and then install the 45.33 driver? You probably did but it's worth mentioning just in case you did not. If you did follow this procedure, did you notice that your card was running much hotter? That could be a factor and the 45.33 has been known to increase temps by around 10 degrees or so. That isn't enough extra heat to really matter but I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe try running with a room fan blowing into your case...just to find out if heat may be the problem or not. Also, if you had been overclocking your card I'd suggest going back to default clocks and re-incrementing from there to determine stability with the new drivers. Good luck!
This is a test of faith I tell You. Yes, i have installed the new driver (45.33) by the 'book'. Surely my card a bit hotter as the core temp raised from 40 celsius to about 50. People say it's not much and I'am also confident it cannot be the problem. About the ventillation in my case: I have a Chieftec Dragon Series: DA-01W full tower with fans installed in every possible spots, round cables and huge empty places. I also have a 550W Enermax PSU (actually I bought it because the flickering problem ). As for the overclocking, I never rised my 5900's core or memory frequency by a single MHz. All I did was a huge underclock to get rid of the flickering. Interestingly it was gone when i underclocked my card to 100-150MHz.

I think NVIDIA shoould start an open source project and make their driver codes available for the public. We shall launch a petition. It can't harm anyone.
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 256MB DDR2 ++ P4C 2.4GHz ++ Abit IC7 ++ 2x512MB Samsung CL 2.5-3-3-5 DDR433 DualChannel ++ 0.5TB HDD ++ Audigy2 ++ Philips CDRW/DVD Combo ++ Enermax 550W PSU ++ Chieftek Dragon FullTow ++ 21" IBM P260 FD Trinitron
TheZsenyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 01:06 PM   #613
Flavius

Quote:
but will wait till I see the specs of the XT and if they are improved over the pro, well then I'll wait for the XT to arrive.
"ATIís new graphics monster will utilize a new type of VPU cooler, a more efficient one to cool down the powerful 0.15 micron R360 VPU running at astonishing 450MHz.. Other features of ATI graphics cards will remain untouched: the product will come equipped with D-Sub, DVI-I and TV-Out connectors.

Both versions of the R360 with either 128 or 256MB of DDR SDRAM memory will be clocked similarly and will score 6750 Ė 7000+ marks in the 3DMark03 benchmark, suggesting that R360 is something more than an overclocked R350 and we should expect architectural improvements as well.
"

It's supposed to be out next month in the US.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 12:29 AM   #614
PsychoAus

ta.
Old 09-23-03, 08:24 PM   #615
freddieb

Default n1 nvidia faith restored

cool nvidia nice to see you in the trenchs were was ati when gta3 was all messed up not in the trenchs thats for sure

hats off to u and alll that contributed
Old 01-07-04, 07:09 PM   #616
skydruid

Send a message via ICQ to skydruid
Unhappy

I am using win2000 and I have geforce fx 5600 (inno3d) and there is small flickering problems fro game to game like in age of mithology there are smal flickerings (like white boxes) in buildings and gaps in monsters there can be seen blue squares in max payne 2 and once I saw a graphic deformation on gladiator, I guess these flickering problems occurs mostly on d3d games
skydruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 04:51 PM   #617
Buddhafist

Default Re: Flickering on GeForce FX - NVIDIA needs your help

I beleive the issue has to do with noise on the USB2 bus when using a USB1 device- for the simple reason that I have a USB1 mouse plugged into a USB2 port and my screen flickers when I use the mouse and flickers like a a f$&@)&*king maniac when I use the mouse WHEEL. I have used this same RIVA TNT2 Ultra card in another system without this effect, but it was only running at 1X agp. Now I have it cranked up to 4x and it flickers like a freak in Windoze 98 but works ok in games except for ones that use directx 7 and above. Perhaps this gives u more clues than you had? Age of mythology can flicker sometimes but Half Life doesnt seem to at all. Neither does starcraft broodwar. But scrolling through newsgroup message listings in Agent 1.91 creates a flicker fest like no other- my poor monitor looks like it is about to puke in my lap. My MB is an asus a7400 MX with 512mb 33mhz ram on 98SE directx 9 and using the latest nvidia drivers. The monitor is a Nokia 449E refresh rate 70mhz at 1024x768. Both card and monitor have worked ok using slower settings on different MBs- IE the nokia worked ok with a trident 4mb slowboat card and the Riva worked fine using a sony monitor at 1X agp on a 550bx mb. The big thing I see is the mouse- display correlation and that needs to be INVESTIGATED. Using a "logitech wheelmouse optical" w latest drivers for that too all patches and hotfixes to 98se applied .
Buddhafist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 05:01 PM   #618
Buddhafist

Default Re: Flickering on GeForce FX - NVIDIA needs your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpawn
Do you have to pay a restocking fee each time you bring it back? Will this be your second time taking it back?
If the bloody card doesnt work with all computers- there IS something wrong with the card.
Buddhafist is offline   Reply With Quote