Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-03, 07:58 PM   #76
rmonster

Quote:
Originally posted by aapo
Your flickering is different. It is caused by one of the monitors interfering the other. The problem discussed here concerning the FX5900 seems to be caused by interference / filtering problems in the FX5900 board itself.

How do I know? Because (at least some of ) the peeps here that have the problem are not amateurs. There has been attempts to use the cards in different machines, with different monitors, with UPS-systems and in different geographical locations. If the problem would come from interference with e.g. certain monitors, these means should always solve the problem, but that isn't the case. With some of the cards the problem persists. Luckily it's not all the FX5900:s.
Did you read the last paragraph of my post?

Quote:
"Anyway, I know there are many variables that could cause the same symptoms, but in my situation the advice offered by many here certainly was accurate. Looking for sources of emi around the monitor itself (in my case, another monitor, might be different for others) might prove to be worthwhile if you're having probs. Thanks to all here who contributed, I'm grateful for the advice "
No offense, but because it was my first post here is no reason to infer that I'm an amateur. The rig with the 9800P is watercooled with an external rig, and is on both a line-filter and an isolation transformer to eliminate the chance of interference from my cooling setup. I might have just a little bit of experience

Last edited by rmonster; 08-07-03 at 08:15 PM.
rmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 09:03 PM   #77
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
This is about solving a problem. Please do not start posting in this thread if you do not have the problem with your card. No more warnings !!!
Guys, please read the quoted post.

All off topic posts in this thread will be removed, if you do not have a problem with flickering, or are not discussing what may cause the problem or how to fix it, do not post.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-03, 10:30 PM   #78
Flavius

Ok, I tried EVERYTHING. Check out what I tried to get my Chaintech 5900 non-ultra to stop flickering, all attempts FAILED except the LAST ONE!

1) Turned off System Restore.
2) Put a ferrite choker on the 4 pin power wire to card.
3) Put a ferrite choker on my monitor cable.
4) Turned on Vsync.
5) Changed driver versions from current to 45.20.
6) Overclocked and underclocked the card from 250 to 450Mhz. Same with the RAM.
7) Disconnected all fans in system except video.
8) Changed fan speed of a number of fans.
9) Placed FX card on a power cable with no other devices sharing.
10) Switched from PS2 to USB mouse.
11) Removed my Audigy2 card.
12) Removed 4-pin power connector from card. <--- ONLY THIS WORKS!!!

My GF4 does not have any flickering on the same system, neither did my 9800 Pro. Flickering is worse when you move the mouse. It is very visible at 1024x768x32x100Hz.
I have an Enermax EG365P-VE 350W power supply. I HAVE AN APC LINE CONDITIONER TOO!

Last edited by Flavius; 08-07-03 at 10:36 PM.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 10:44 PM   #79
rmonster

Holy smoke, Flavius you've been through the wringer! Do you have another power supply available to swap out for a test, or possibly to run concurrently and only power the 5900 with one of them? It sounds as though you may be narrowing down your culprit...

Last edited by rmonster; 08-07-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 11:44 PM   #80
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by rmonster
Holy smoke, Flavius you've been through the wringer! Do you have another power supply available to swap out for a test, or possibly to run concurrently and only power the 5900 with one of them? It sounds as though you may be narrowing down your culprit...
Rmonster, I swapped out my Enermax 350w with a brand new Antec True 430w and it made no difference. Many others have swapped out theirs with no change also.

Another user (bgreen) on the evga forums did try running the 5900 on a separate psu and had no luck.

Damn, Flavius, you are a determined mofo!

I just ordered a P4C800-E, a gig of Kingston HyperX, and a new P4-3.0Cghz to see how that works. I'll post results next week.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64

Last edited by RoachMojo; 08-07-03 at 11:52 PM.
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-03, 12:03 AM   #81
Flavius

I returned the card before I remembered to try it in my 2nd computer. Yes I did all that, but didn't try it in my second computer system with different monitor. But I don't think it would have made a difference based on what I've read here. And even if it had, I need the card for THIS system. I think is affects ALL 5900 cards. I think people just aren't noticing it or something. I have yet to see anyone who says they see this problem and swapped cards and the problem went away! Everyone says the problem is still there. So this sounds like a massive engineering bug... kind of like Nvidia's universally poor 2D quality in the pre-Geforce3 days. I'm hoping NV38 fixes this... do you know how annoying it is to be running a GF4 Ti4400 equivalent on a P4 2.6C 800MHZ FSB SATA system?! My video is now my biggest bottleneck! I really wish everyone had switched over to AGP Pro slots and cards, then we wouldn't need supplemental power for video. We might have to wait for PCI Express for all this to resolved. I hope not. That's assuming PCI Express delivers more voltage than AGP.

Oh and for people thinking of switching to ATI because of this: Don't. Been there, done that. First my 9500 Pro had even WORSE problems than this 5900. It had rolling lines in 2D! My 9800 Pro was rock solid, but older games froze XP hard. So we should stick with Nvidia until they resolve this problem. Buy a Ti4600 for now or something. :-)
Old 08-08-03, 06:55 AM   #82
GPSnoopy

I second Flavius post.

Just check the other sticky thread on the flickering prob. Some people changed everything in their config but it didn't solve anything.

Btw, it seems a lot of people here are confusing multiple different problems.
Flickering/Quivering : Quick changes in brightness. With VSync on the whole screen will change uniformly, while with VSync off you'll get bands. The frame swapping process is so quick that it explains this difference with VSync off/on.
Seems to be caused by varations of power in the VGA output. DOES NOT SEEM to affect DVI (in digital mode) output.
DVI + VGA adapter will not fix the problem because it's still using the analog output.

Rolling lines : totally different issue. You get waves on your screen. Like on a bad TV reception. This one seems to be caused by external or/and internal electrical noise.

Noise : some components will make audible noise under some specific power requirement from other components.
Personnaly I've seen this problem with a lot of different graphic cards and even some CPU/power supply using Prime 95. It's just a matter of finding the right application.

I'd be glad to go to NVIDIA's offices to help them. Unfortunatly I'm in Belgium.

Well, if one day any guy from NVIDIA goes by Belgium, I can show him the flickering problem and the noise problem on the 5900 Ultra, as well as the "old" rolling lines problem on the GeForce 2 Ultra. :

Hints:

To detect the problem, use a good CRT screen using the VGA analog output. (using a IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 here).

Don't hesitate to increase the brightness/contrast of the screen beyond normal use, it makes spotting the problem easier.

Use the VSync on/off trick mentioned above to know whether you're really seeing the flickering issue or just something else.

The flickering problem happens all the time, in 2D and 3D, but sometimes it's just more obvious.
In my case the most obvious case is when running Unreal 2 in fullscreen mode (1280 x 960 4X FSAA 4X Aniso, Vert Refresh 100 Hz), when in the options menu - you get a strong flickering with the blue transparent background -.

Don't watch the screen for 2 minutes and say you don't have the problem. It took me 24 hours before noticing what was going on, and it took sometimes 2 weeks for some people around here.

I hope this will help.

PS: if NVIDIA is really willing to solve the prob, they can always pay the trip for me and my computer. At least then I'll be really convinced they do whatever is possible to solve the problem.
GPSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 07:29 AM   #83
volt

I took some time off today to reconfigure my two systems and see what is causing the flickering.

Main System
Abit N7F-S 2.0
Barton 2800+ @ 2.3GHz (200x11.5)
TwinX 512MB Corsair 3200LLPT (dual-channel)
Prolink GeForce FX 5900
SLK-900U + 92mm Panaflo
WD 40GB HD
Chieftec Fulltower + 420W Chieftec PS
ViewSonic P95f+
Windows XP with SP1 + Detonator 44.03

Sub System
Asus A7N8X 2.0
AXP 1700+ JIHUB DLT3C @ 2.1GHz (200x10.5)
256MB Corsair 3200LL
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
Alpha PAL8045U
250GB Storage
Vanilla Tower + QTec Goldplated 400W PS
ViewSonic P95f+
Windows XP with SP1 + Detonator 44.65

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The flickering has been first reported while 5900 was in the Main System. Let's look at that first:

1. I have swapped power supply cables from Sub System. They were different brand and more flexible
2. FX 5900 has been unplugged from external power
3. Monitor was connected through DVI->VGA adapter
3. The card has been underclocked to 300MHz core / 650MHz memory

Games tested: UT2003, C&C: Generals, Colin McRae 3, Hitman 2, Raven Shield. I have attached a UT2003 demo so you guys can check it out. This is the map that should be used to check out the flickering.

To play the demo: Put flicker.dem into \System folder, Launch the game, enter console and type: demoplay flicker
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I have moved the 5900 into the Sub System.

1. Swapped the cables again
2. Powered off the 5900
3. Connected it through DVI->VGA
3. The card has been underclocked to 300MHz core / 650MHz memory

Same set of games was tested.

I have tested the FX 5600 in both systems with two types of cabling and found out that there was no flickering. What Mike mentioned was different. He has seen vertical bars moving from the bottom all the way to the top of the screen. I was very surprised to see a much cleaner screen when the 5600 was placed, even in 2D I could see a clear difference.

A similar swap has been made with a Ti4600 and neither of the systems produced any sort of flickering.

Conclusion:

1. Tested 3 different cards on 2 different systems.
2. Two sets of power cables were tested.
3. 5900 flickers in both systems, even with DVI->VGA adapter, unplugged power connector and downclocked card.
4. Ti4600 and 5600 do not produce flickering in either system.
5. There appears to be less flickering when lower resolutions are used: 1024x768 / 800x600
6. Flickering appears regardless of the API; DX or OGL
7. Flickering intensifies when there is more motion on the screen
8. Flickering does not disappear when the video card is underclocked and/or monitor is set to highest refresh rates and/or V-Sync is enabled
9. There is slight flickering going on while on desktop, barely visible but I can see it.
10. To see whether the card flickers in 2D, right click on desktop->properties->settings->advanced->GeForce FX 5900 Tab->Clock Frequencies->Click Auto Detect button. This will detect the appropriate clocks for the card while the screen should flicker, the same way it does in 3D.

Hope this will help some of you.

UT2003 Demo can be found here.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 09:40 AM   #84
seizetheday4eva

I have the Creative Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra version which is the reference design board. I think that I might be getting that flickering problem too? When I'm in Vietcong and I look up at the sky I see a flicker, first I checked what hz refresh rate I had my Sony 24" monitor at and it was 65hz so I thought oh that is the reason why so I changed it to 85hz. Now I don't really notice any flickering but people are saying that it happen a lot more in some games then others.

I can still return my Creative card so do you think I should for the Asus one. The Asus one does look a lot better having a blue PCB board and cooper heat sinks with two fans.

Also what are cards are better for cooling the reference design with just one large fan or the non reference designs such as Asus's card with two fans?

What would you do if you were me?
seizetheday4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 10:32 AM   #85
Flavius

Oh yeah, in addition to my list above, I also tried a DVI connector, no difference in the flickering. Knew I forgot something.
Old 08-08-03, 05:19 PM   #86
BB NVPR

We had one person in the Bay area confirmed with these symptoms. He was kind enough to agree to visit us. We had him come in to the NVIDIA offices today. We were able to see the “flicker issue” and try some things to fix it. We have some good theories about the cause. Next step is to reconstruct his system, prove our theories, and then find a solution.

We will let you know when we have some definite conclusions.

Thanks to all for your feedback and help in resolving this issue.
Old 08-08-03, 05:57 PM   #87
volt

That's good info.

We are glad we could help
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 08-08-03, 06:12 PM   #88
Flavius

Wow, thanks Nvidia. Granted, this problem should not have been allowed to exist begin with, but Nvidia's stance on this issue is SO much better than ATI's stance on their own "rolling lines" issue! I bet you its related to the 4-pin power connector, since the only way to fix the flicker is to remove that connector. THE GOOD NEWS in this, is that most likely NV38 will resolve this issue, since they probably caught it in time. If not, NV40 for sure. Hey Nvidia, care to send me a sample reference card for NV38? I will test it for you on my system and return it to you with my results! I kid you not! Where's the NDA, I'll sign!
Old 08-08-03, 06:21 PM   #89
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Wow, thanks Nvidia. Granted, this problem should not have been allowed to exist begin with, but Nvidia's stance on this issue is SO much better than ATI's stance on their own "rolling lines" issue! I bet you its related to the 4-pin power connector, since the only way to fix the flicker is to remove that connector. THE GOOD NEWS in this, is that most likely NV38 will resolve this issue, since they probably caught it in time. If not, NV40 for sure. Hey Nvidia, care to send me a sample reference card for NV38? I will test it for you on my system and return it to you with my results! I kid you not! Where's the NDA, I'll sign!
You are not correct (at least not 100%). As I noted earlier, the flickering does appear even if you unplug the power.

Maybe a fix for you and others, but certainly not me.

Old 08-08-03, 06:27 PM   #90
Flavius

Quote:
You are not correct (at least not 100%). As I noted earlier, the flickering does appear even if you unplug the power.
Are you sure? 3 other people besides me said the problem goes away if they disconnect the extra power. Is your flickering even lessened when you remove it? Are you sure your refresh rate is higher than 75Hz when you're testing this?

If it doesn't get worse when you move the mouse around (try that in a menu or something) then you probably don't have the same issue we do??
Old 08-08-03, 06:43 PM   #91
Riptide

Quote:
Originally posted by volt

Maybe a fix for you and others, but certainly not me.
OMG, excuse my ignorance, but I can't believe this thread exists!

I had major rolling line issues with my Visiontek GeForce2 Ultra. I exchanged it for another one, had the same problem. I got a refund and tried a Guillemot 3d Prophet II Ultra. Same problem there...

The thing that bugs me is that this is still an issue for nvidia, and even on the newer cards apparently! The problems I experienced with the GF2 Ultra seem like ages ago and yet here some of you are dealing with the stupid rolling lines crap.

What in hell is going on over there if this problem is still around?

I haven't had any sort of 2d interference, rolling lines or otherwise, since going with the 9700. I'm not saying ATI is perfect, believe me, but this is absolutely astonishing to me that this rolling lines bologne is still happening.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 06:48 PM   #92
Flavius

Quote:
haven't had any sort of 2d interference, rolling lines or otherwise, since going with the 9700. I'm not saying ATI is perfect, believe me, but this is absolutely astonishing to me that this rolling lines bologne is still happening
Hahaha! The 9700 and 9500 had TERRIBLE rolling lines problems. I returned a 9500 Pro for that very reason. And the rolling lines issue is totally different from the flickering issue. My flickering 5900 did NOT have rolling lines like my 9500 Pro did. Two separate problems. And it hasn't been around since GF2. My GF3 and GF4 cards are ROCK SOLID with no rolling lines and no flickering!

Old 08-08-03, 07:06 PM   #93
SlyBoots

Thumbs down

Quote:
Hahaha! The 9700 and 9500 had TERRIBLE rolling lines problems. I returned a 9500 Pro for that very reason. And the rolling lines issue is totally different from the flickering issue. My flickering 5900 did NOT have rolling lines like my 9500 Pro did. Two separate problems. And it hasn't been around since GF2. My GF3 and GF4 cards are ROCK SOLID with no rolling lines and no flickering!
Must be your system

I've never seen rolling/flickering on any of my systems. Ti4600, R9700p, Tyan G9500p.......... 22" iiyama & 19" cornerstone monitors....all AMD systems, all P/S are 420w +

I doubt there's a connection, but a lot of Sony owners report a shimmering?
SlyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 07:26 PM   #94
Solomon

Doesn't nVidia learn from their mistakes on this issue with their previous chipsets? Does nVidia even have a Q&A department? Seeing this come up time and time again tells me they have a real poor Q&A department.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 07:32 PM   #95
Solomon

I'm wondering if this has something to do with their filtering of the VGA & DVI ports. Has anyone tested to see if the flicker shows up on the TV-Out port? I'm having a feeling it won't show up on their TV-Out connector. I remember when people started to cut caps off their cards to improve the 2D quality at higher resolutions. But it risked the chance of interference.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 08:04 PM   #96
volt

Quote:
Are you sure? 3 other people besides me said the problem goes away if they disconnect the extra power. Is your flickering even lessened when you remove it? Are you sure your refresh rate is higher than 75Hz when you're testing this?

If it doesn't get worse when you move the mouse around (try that in a menu or something) then you probably don't have the same issue we do??
There seems to be a little confusion with the term "flickering" here.

To me, there are two (or more) types of screen flickers: refresh rate flicker and quivering (flickering we are after in this case). What we are looking here for is that second thing

On "healthy" cards running even 60Hz there is no such thing as flickering / quivering we have seen here.

Yes you will see the screen "flicker" but it has to do with the monitor able to handle x number of signals per second. There seems to be no correlation between refresh rates and the flickering we are trying to solve.

I have never considered refresh rate flickering as a problem since it is easly solvable. On the other hand, flickering I have described in my earlier post cannot be taken care of just by setting the refresh rates higher than 60Hz and / or unplugging the 4-pin power connector.

I hope this makes it clear

Old 08-08-03, 08:07 PM   #97
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Siskods9
I recently bought an NV35 ref board on Ebay and I too have the "rolling lines" anomoly.

I had it too with my old Geforce 2 Ultra...

I also experience it in 2D (Windows environment) and in 3D games.

It is present regardless of the driver revision in use.
My monitor refresh rate is 75Hz (its max)

Let's back up for a second here.

Rolling lines: horizontal lines moving from the bottom to the top of the screen? Is that what you mean?

Old 08-08-03, 08:14 PM   #98
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Doesn't nVidia learn from their mistakes on this issue with their previous chipsets? Does nVidia even have a Q&A department? Seeing this come up time and time again tells me they have a real poor Q&A department.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
I don't quite understand your position here.

I have never, ever experienced any sort of flickering (described in my above post) with any of the NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards except for NV35 (and I've had quite a few). Again, there seems to be quite a big confusion when we first raised the issue of "flickering" here at nVnews.

I can't agree with your comments here, and I can bet that what people thought was a screen flickering was only a refresh rate flickering.

Now that I got everyone confused, we should redefine the symptons. It would be much easier for the users and NVIDIA (for the future).

Old 08-08-03, 08:48 PM   #99
rmonster

No, Soloman is right. The flickering/rolling lines/etc problem was well documented with the GF2 Ultras. In fact, it was likely a contributing cause for Creative pulling out of the US graphics market, iirc.
Old 08-08-03, 09:05 PM   #100
Riptide

Quote:
Originally posted by rmonster
No, Soloman is right. The flickering/rolling lines/etc problem was well documented with the GF2 Ultras. In fact, it was likely a contributing cause for Creative pulling out of the US graphics market, iirc.
Particularly unacceptable with a $500 graphics card. Consider that was years ago as well.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote