Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 05:29 AM   #126
seizetheday4eva

So you say Battlefield 1942 aye? Well I have that game I shall install it now, please could you tell me on what map or where you see the flickering the most in Battlefield 1942 PLEASE!

It's a very big game and I don't want too have to search for the flickering on every level so please help me, also I take it you do have the latest patch installed?
seizetheday4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 06:39 AM   #127
volt

My conclusion is that flickering appears in 2D and 3D modes, so it doesn't matter which game / map you play. Try any map.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 07:11 AM   #128
seizetheday4eva

Volt can I ask for your personal opinon please?

I currently have the Creative Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra, I'm still not convinced that I don't have the flickering or that I do, like I said when I was playing Vietcong I noticed the flickering when I was looking up at the sky, it seem to be more obvious when you are looking at objects or things that are lighter in games, you can't notice the flickering when looking at things that are dark.

So like I said I changed my hz on my 24" Sony monitor from 60hz which yes the eye can easily see the flickering too 85hz which now I can't really. But I think I can still see the flickering alittle when looking up at the sky in Vietcong but not very much and I do have too look hard to see it too, friends off mine with eyes that are not as good as mine can't see it although some can. It's just that when you pay out so much £410 for a video card you dont' expect any problems.

I'm going to install Battlefield 1942 now and download the latest Patch because at the moment the only game I have installed is Vietcong.

I have the option off returning my card for a full refund. If I do that then I will buy the Asus non-reference version which looks really cool it has a blue PCB Board and two fans with a cooper heat-sink. Do you think the Asus with it's two fans will keep the card cooler then the large one fan the reference card has?

Sorry this is so long but you seem to be any expert that's why I would like your advice.

Also I hope Nvidia fix this problem FAST! Or I swear I will never buy a card from them again, it's just too much money to spend on something that should be perfect that is not, I mean did they rush this card out? They must have tested it many times, so how did they miss something that LOTS of us seem to be noticing? I wondering if a driver update can fix this? I really hope so because overwise it must mean it's because there hardware is faulty.

Old 08-09-03, 07:23 AM   #129
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by seizetheday4eva
Also I hope Nvidia fix this problem FAST! Or I swear I will never buy a card from them again, it's just too much money to spend on something that should be perfect that is not, I mean did they rush this card out?
Let's just wait for an official statement and solution to the problem before jumping too fast on conclusions like the GF FX 5900 Ultra's PCB is bad or whatever.

Just 2 weeks ago some people were convinced they would never be able to use AA in HL2 on nvidia cards and now we all know that AA works with any card in HL2 but people were again drawing too fast the wrong conclusions...
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 07:32 AM   #130
FredGSanford

Same Flickering Problem here... All the games listed have been a problem for me as well. I've tried all the different Settings and yet not a single one worked for me. Oh and BTW, For me the Light, Dark Flickering is happening even at refresh rates of 75 or any refresh rate I use for that matter. I've done everything possible from Removing everything in my case and running it all laid out so that nothing is touching the card to playing with every aspect of my BIOS and even Swapping out different PSU's and none of this worked. When I had the radeon 9700 pro or the 9800 I never had this issue.

I even tried using some old ferret clips to see if they would reduce the problem and they didn't do anything. I've done extensive testing on my PSU's using a Digital Meter and they seem to be fine as well.

Hopefully nvidia will come up with a solution very soon before the fan on my eVGA 5900U drives me insane. Although I have this feeling well all be stuck with a damn expensive ($500) problem.

BTW: I also seem to be getting some noise from the card every time I scroll with the mouse...
FredGSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 08:27 AM   #131
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

The GF2 Ultra rolling lines may not have anything specific to do with the flickering problems but there is more than just a passing relationship. At that time there was a topic here with over 100 replies, and nVidia at that time also requested for people in the bay area with a PC showing the issue so they could visit to see. If I remember correctly they had trouble reproducing it initially, it was then reported they had, and then they hadn't, and then GF3 came out I don't remember it ever having a happy ending.

I do know that the problem DID exist and was directly related to the card. There was some member that posted in the topic regularly, "trying to help" and he was adamant is was not the card, despite all the evidence I and others had collected to the contrary. This person was the sort that started threads with "I've been an expert in X & Y since nappy training"........you know the type

Anyway the card was a Creative GF2 Ultra and in attempting to solve it I tried a completely different PC no parts were the same. I also took the card to my work place some 10 miles away and tried it there in another PC different everything including monitor. I even tried it on the, (motorsport), trucks generator to rule out the mains electricity. whatever I did the card showed bad rolling lines at specific resolutions, but swapping it out with any other of a few cards I had at the time (one a GF2 GTS) = no rolling lines. Now to me this indicated with 99.9% certainty that it was either the card causing it, or the card was more sensitive to some form of very common outside interference, most likely due to a specific element in is design or fabrication. I guess this is most likely going to be very similar with the FX flicking problem

Last edited by BladeRunner; 08-09-03 at 08:31 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 09:08 AM   #132
seizetheday4eva

Hey guy's when is it your noticing the rolling lines effect in games? I just installed Battlefield 1942 with the add on and latest Patch 1.4.

I couldn't really notice the fliker however when I look up and down using my mouse I notice that I see rolling lines, it's hard to explain but I see lines, when I stop moving the mouse and looking up and down and I stay still there are no lines.

Strange maybe I should try Morrowing too?

Anyone else get these lines that i'm talking about? Maybe it's just the game but I don't remember seeing the lines when I was playing it last week with my Geforce Ti 4 4600?
Old 08-09-03, 10:11 AM   #133
Rogozhin

I know for a fact that the lines can be caused by interference from halogen desk lamps too close to the monitor, unshielded speakers close the monitor, even my SD shielded rears when put too close the monitor cause the lines, unclean power that isn't running through a powerline conditioner, and using power cables without the ground lug.

I believe that running through what I've mentioned above would solve most of the problems (a cheap surge protector is not adequate).

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 11:17 AM   #134
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
1. I disagree. I saw two completely different issues since I have had both cards in question.

2. Not once did I mention anything as being "laughable" about this situation.
O.k. this is getting annoying. Just because you might have not experienced this doesn't mean it's not happening to many people. I just wish people would look past their own experience and see that this isn't just one or two people. You do realize that just because it's not posted on various forums that this problem isn't as rampant as you might think.

Bladerunner is correct. This happened with the GeForce 2. I just don't understand why some are forcing their experience as an end all to end all. This is just like what has happened with the GeForce 2. So please be a little more open minded about this situation at hand.

Quote:
The GF2 Ultra rolling lines may not have anything specific to do with the flickering problems but there is more than just a passing relationship. At that time there was a topic here with over 100 replies, and nVidia at that time also requested for people in the bay area with a PC showing the issue so they could visit to see. If I remember correctly they had trouble reproducing it initially, it was then reported they had, and then they hadn't, and then GF3 came out I don't remember it ever having a happy ending.

I do know that the problem DID exist and was directly related to the card. There was some member that posted in the topic regularly, "trying to help" and he was adamant is was not the card, despite all the evidence I and others had collected to the contrary. This person was the sort that started threads with "I've been an expert in X & Y since nappy training"........you know the type.

Anyway the card was a Creative GF2 Ultra and in attempting to solve it I tried a completely different PC no parts were the same. I also took the card to my work place some 10 miles away and tried it there in another PC different everything including monitor. I even tried it on the, (motorsport), trucks generator to rule out the mains electricity. whatever I did the card showed bad rolling lines at specific resolutions, but swapping it out with any other of a few cards I had at the time (one a GF2 GTS) = no rolling lines. Now to me this indicated with 99.9% certainty that it was either the card causing it, or the card was more sensitive to some form of very common outside interference, most likely due to a specific element in is design or fabrication. I guess this is most likely going to be very similar with the FX flicking problem.
I recall the same scenerio with other consumers with the GeForce 2 card. So BigBerthaEA instead of saying this isn't happening or isn't the same thing, please keep in mind that because you didn't experience it or suffer this rolling lines problems with todays card or the GeForce 2 Ultra doesn't mean it's not happening. Keep an open mind and maybe give some advice to people to try.

For Bladerunner, it seemed like you tried everything under the kitchen sink and it didn't solve the problem. That sucks...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 11:33 AM   #135
seizetheday4eva

So I need some information about the rolling lines PLEASE. I get them well I think I do i'm not sure if this is what everyone else is getting thats why I need more information. I only have the following game installed:

Vietcong (noticed some Flickering, only when I look up at the sky)

Morrowind (when I look up and then down using the mouse I see these lines appear, when don't move the character to look up and down there are no lines)

Battlefield 1942 (the same line effect as Morrowind)

So these lines people are seeing, what are they like, mine just appear and only appear when I'm looking up and down and moving the mouse around fast and as soon as I stop the lines go away.

Is this what everyone else is getting? Or do you get it all the time even when your not moving around in a game?

Oh and Nvidia I hope you release a Patch or Driver to fix this like real SOON or your going to lose a customer for life. I think everyone has them problem not just some people, I just think that people are not seeing it or looking for it. I have very good eye's and that is why I noticed it so quick.

I'm sure that when I had my Geforce 4 4600 and I looked up and down in Morrowind or Battlefield 1942 them lines didn't appear, I'm sure. I just wish I had two computers that I could test on.
Old 08-09-03, 11:45 AM   #136
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
1. O.k. this is getting annoying. Just because you might have not experienced this doesn't mean it's not happening to many people. I just wish people would look past their own experience and see that this isn't just one or two people. You do realize that just because it's not posted on various forums that this problem isn't as rampant as you might think.

2. Bladerunner is correct. This happened with the GeForce 2. I just don't understand why some are forcing their experience as an end all to end all. This is just like what has happened with the GeForce 2. So please be a little more open minded about this situation at hand.

3. I recall the same scenerio with other consumers with the GeForce 2 card. So BigBerthaEA instead of saying this isn't happening or isn't the same thing, please keep in mind that because you didn't experience it or suffer this rolling lines problems with todays card or the GeForce 2 Ultra doesn't mean it's not happening. Keep an open mind and maybe give some advice to people to try.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon,

1. Yes, this IS getting annoying. I am sorry that my experience with this issue is different than what YOU describe. I remember the rolling lines issues and this is simply a different, yet likely related issue. The fact that I see it differently than you does not make my experience or feedback any less credible than yours or anyone else's.

2. I am not "forcing" anything on anyone. I am just stating that what I saw THEN and what I see NOW are very different, but I will say that I believe they could very well be related. I guess I could be guilty of splitting hairs with regards to semantics, but I do feel very strongly that what I see on my end is different. Also, I have yet to state that the issue I am seeing is universal for EVERY user. OK?

3. I have a VERY open mind and not once have I stated that I do not believe what others are seeing nor do I doubt what they are describing. All I was disagreeing with is your assertion that this issue is EXACTLY the same as the GF2 Ultra issue. Since I am seeing differently on my end, I am entitled to express just that. If in the end, they discover that the issues are identical, then I feel I will owe you an apology. Until that time, please respect my opinion on the issue because like you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. We can disagree all day long, but please don't tell me that I do not have an open mind. That is simply not true.

My apologies to the forum and the mods. Out of respect for the community, I will not post on this thread again.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 01:10 PM   #137
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

Just for the record I didn't and wasn't suggesting the rolling lines GF2 U issue is /was the same as the flickering FX issue. I haven't experienced the flickering FX issue myself. I have a 5900 U here but it's not useable atm for me to check it out. What I was trying to get across though is that the GF2 Ultra DID have a rolling lines issue that was directly related to the cards in some way, and nVidia attempted to try to find the solve for that. As far as I'm aware there was never a "Fix" but some people that rma'd later one got a replacement without rolling lines.

With regard to the above, the current flickering FX issue could be related, but if not it is a similar type of issue being dealt with in a similar way, lets hope the end result is a more positive one.

seizetheday4eva

The rolling lines issue with the GF2 U I had, (and I'm not Suggesting everybody's was exactly like this), was visible all the time in 2D and 3D, and was varying degrees of bad related to resolution / refresh rate. It looked like thin straight magnetic waves, (No, not moiré pattern), that would slowly scroll up and down the screen either vertically or diagonally and change direction. At some refresh / resolutions it was almost invisible, others it was fairly obvious, although some people found it hard to pick out until it was explained, I almost beat my girlfriend of the time to death over it because she couldn't see it initially
Old 08-09-03, 02:59 PM   #138
seizetheday4eva

Well I'm VERY disappointed with Nvidia. I am seriously thinking off RMAing my Creative Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra if Nvidia don't come up with something that fix's the flickering and rolling line problem. I can't really notice the flickering so much to be honest as for the rolling lines I think it's the games and not my graphics card to be honest because it only happens in Morrowind and Battlefield 1942 and the lines I get are not the same as Bladerunner got with his GF2. I ONLY get the lines if for example my character in Morrowind is standing still and then I use the mouse to look up and down very fast then I see lines come and go. Maybe everyone gets this i'm not sure?

I so confused right now I just wish that I had two computers that I could compare!

Damn Nvidia for selling these OVERPRICED cards with problems.

Maybe I will return mine and either wait for Komplett to have in stock the Asus non-reference design or maybe I will just wait for the NV40! Hopefully the flickering problem can be fixed with new drivers, one think I am sure off and that is that it is the card and any part of my other hardware simply because so many people are having the same flickering problems.

Also has anyone got the Asus Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra card? It looks real cool it has a blue PCB board which is made by ASUS and has two fans with a copper sink on it? Does anyone know if it cools the card better then the reference design ones? Does anyone even have this card yet? Comes with some cool games too.
Old 08-09-03, 03:24 PM   #139
Solomon

With regards to this whole thing, I hope BB NVR (The nVidia employee who started the thread) updates us periodically on their findings. Considering he started it, I hope he returns and gives us updates. Regardless of their "No employee allowed to post in forums" policy.

I would like to know how they rectify the problem. I wonder if it's bad caps or resistors, etc...

I still would like someone to test out the TV-Out. Would be nice to eliminate that connector.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 08-09-03, 03:26 PM   #140
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by seizetheday4eva
Well I'm VERY disappointed with Nvidia. I am seriously thinking off RMAing my Creative Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra if Nvidia don't come up with something that fix's the flickering and rolling line problem. I can't really notice the flickering so much to be honest as for the rolling lines I think it's the games and not my graphics card to be honest because it only happens in Morrowind and Battlefield 1942 and the lines I get are not the same as Bladerunner got with his GF2. I ONLY get the lines if for example my character in Morrowind is standing still and then I use the mouse to look up and down very fast then I see lines come and go. Maybe everyone gets this i'm not sure?

I so confused right now I just wish that I had two computers that I could compare!

Damn Nvidia for selling these OVERPRICED cards with problems.

Maybe I will return mine and either wait for Komplett to have in stock the Asus non-reference design or maybe I will just wait for the NV40! Hopefully the flickering problem can be fixed with new drivers, one think I am sure off and that is that it is the card and any part of my other hardware simply because so many people are having the same flickering problems.

Also has anyone got the Asus Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra card? It looks real cool it has a blue PCB board which is made by ASUS and has two fans with a copper sink on it? Does anyone know if it cools the card better then the reference design ones? Does anyone even have this card yet? Comes with some cool games too.
Did you try what another person suggested? Something with turning off the mouse acceleration thing? Or was that you who suggested that earlier in the thread?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Old 08-09-03, 03:57 PM   #141
FredGSanford

II hope this doesn't fuel anything but I'm with you on the RMA'ing the card this coming week... I'm definitely not happy and didn't have this issue with ati... For me when I switch it will be for good though. I really don't think nvidia will fix this problem for any of us.. If they do... Well I hope they prove me wrong but I seriously doubt it
Old 08-09-03, 05:49 PM   #142
FredGSanford

Has anyone tried loading up a DOS diagnostics disc (one with a color interface). I know this sounds odd but I just tried a few of them. I tried my neighbors Maxtor Setup Disc and a Diagnostics Disc that came with my Eurosoft Diagnostics Board. and both of them flickered. I use to have some old doss image viewers but I can't seem to find one... anyone out that have the means to give this a try? Sounds funny but it could give some hope to find out if this is driver or hardware... I'm allready conviced its hardware but trying something is better then nothing at all
Old 08-09-03, 06:03 PM   #143
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

seizetheday4eva

What you describe:-

"example my character in Morrowind is standing still and then I use the mouse to look up and down very fast then I see lines come and go. Maybe everyone gets this i'm not sure?"

Sounds like the tearing you can get when vsync is disabled in some situations, if you haven't already try forcing Vsync on and running at 100hz refresh rate if possible.
Old 08-09-03, 06:21 PM   #144
seizetheday4eva

You could be right but how do I control Vsync on or off? Some people say there is an option in the Nvidia Control Panel but I don't see it?

Still do you think I should return my card and get the Asus Geforce Fx 256mb 5900 Ultra instead because of the flickering i'm getting? The Asus one looks much better it has a blue PCB board and two fans with a cooper heat sink it looks great and has a better software package such as games plus Asus are better known for Graphics cards then most others?

Also I don't really understand why these Nvidia FX cards have been released so early what was the point because there are no game that use DX9 really! Also Half-Life 2 is no longer coming out in September and TRUST me I know this for a FACT!

Oh and buy the time games do come out that use DX9 Nvidia will have released the NV40 or whatever card comes out after the NV35 (Geforce FX 256mb 5900 Ultra). Maybe I will return my card and then just wait, no point in having a card so powerful when the power is not even being used so too speak.
Old 08-09-03, 11:13 PM   #145
Flavius

Cut it out with the Nvidia bashing. It solves absolutely nothing and its not like ATI is any better in terms of hardware bugs of this nature, just look at the forums at rage3d.com. ATI has both hardware *and* software bugs, so they're worse than Nvidia. If you're not happy with the flickering, you can RMA the card like I did and wait for them to fix it in the next hardware revision. I'm waiting for NV38, maybe even NV40, and I'm waiting for further updates from BB. But I'm definetely sticking with Nvidia.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 11:21 PM   #146
Flavius

Quote:
I'm definitely not happy and didn't have this issue with ati... For me when I switch it will be for good though. I really don't think nvidia will fix this problem for any of us.
Well, ATI only fixed their rolling lines issue with the 9800 cards...many many 9500 and 9700 cards have bad issues with rolling lines. The best ATI did was tell people to contact customer service about the issue and said it might be possible to RMA for replacement. But many people who RMAed got cards that still produced lines. They did not give people a 9800 in exchange for a rolling line 9700, or a 9600 for a 9500 for example. Now Nvidia has similar issues except its flickering, not lines. As you know, Nvidia doesn't make the cards, so it will be up to the manufacturers your bought the card from to do some sort of RMA program if it turns out there is design bug. And none of the manufacturers are going to give you an NV38 for your NV35.... and due to the pace of technology, Nvidia will probably just fix this problem only for future NV38 boards, just like ATI only fixed it for 9800/9600 boards. So you see, its just the way these companies work. Count yourself lucky you live in a country where you can RMA things, in many countries if you want to return ANYTHING you bought, they'll laugh in your face.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 06:25 AM   #147
WikingTOR

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
, in many countries if you want to return ANYTHING you bought, they'll laugh in your face. [/b]
Can you please tell me some countries where you can buy this card and get a customer service like that?
WikingTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 07:08 AM   #148
FredGSanford

I bought the card from newegg which will not give me an RMA for it, only a replacement for same item. Also, allstarshop and a few others will not give RMA's for many of the FX boards.
Old 08-10-03, 08:41 AM   #149
macachia

can anyone post screenshots of this so called flickering, quivering? I'm not sure if I have them

thanks in advance, i'd appreciate a reply
macachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 10:10 AM   #150
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by macachia
can anyone post screenshots of this so called flickering, quivering? I'm not sure if I have them

thanks in advance, i'd appreciate a reply
There is no way to make screenshots of this flickering since the issue is not being rendered. It's just a noise issue which gets modulated in the VGA signal after the final image has been rendered.

Also "horziontal stripes brightness pulsing" is a good to way to describe this issue
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote