Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-03, 04:26 AM   #176
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by jake_cornette
Ok, since no one seemed to notice my post where I gave the fix to the scrolling noise, I'll give it again... for the third time... UNCHECK THE "USE SMOOTH SCROLLING" OPTION IN THE ADVANCED INTERNET OPTIONS. It works like magic. Hope someone sees this post this time.
the problem is just that noise appears not only when using the Internet Explorer but also for many different programs and games where large parts of the screen scrolls.

So your "smooth scrolling" doesn't help that much!
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-03, 12:23 PM   #177
jake_cornette

Send a message via ICQ to jake_cornette

It fixed the beep in IE, Word, (pretty much all Windows apps), and the noise no longer occurs in Battlefield or Starcraft (bet none of you have played that in a while). I haven't experienced the noise in any other circumstance.
jake_cornette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 12:29 PM   #178
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by jake_cornette
It fixed the beep in IE, Word, (pretty much all Windows apps), and the noise no longer occurs in Battlefield or Starcraft (bet none of you have played that in a while). I haven't experienced the noise in any other circumstance.
"smooth scrolling" cannot fix the noise for any other application than IE. It's only affecting IE.

BTW. I'm playing BF1942 on a daily basis...
Old 08-13-03, 08:41 PM   #179
brunoco

Dell Precision 530
Dual Xeons 1.7ghz
450 W psu
768 MB Rdram
No other cards in machine.
(brand new sony trinitron monitor with shielded cables and ferrites)

FX 5900 Ultra from EVGA

Am in total flicker hell, same problems as most 3D unsupportable for some games (way to much flicker) and 2D desktop when switching or using any 3d app.

Posted a set of theories and discussions over at EVGA but they have been mentioned here also so i think the topic as how why this might be happening is pretty much covered.

My big worry : 500$ down the drain because it seems to be more and more a design problem ?
I become even more worried because after Nvidia did confirm the problem there is no more news are info from them not even a little promise they would help us. With such great engineers and people workjing at NVIDIA by now they shoudl have ideas and probable causes at least. But no word.

I dont want any other brand of card i like Nvidia cards.
But why in this industry are we as consumer so totallymistreated and disrespected it is still a card of 500$ but we get treated like we bought a can of coke and sorry bad design buy new one when we got a better design ?

I am sure some might find me a little ciritical but this issue is now going on for more then a month and NVIDIA knew this for more then a month !! Like I said NVIDIA has great engineers and many people if they wanted they could have by now come up atleast with some probable causes and most likely some kind of solution, i honestly got a feeling this is put on the backburner (well when we got no info we only can assume the worst).

Please NV enlighten us and help us like loyal customers deserve it. Your high range cards are bought by a hard core fan base (just like apple stays alive due to its fan base, or the star trek franchise). Treat them with RESPECT.
brunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 12:13 AM   #180
Flavius

I second brunoco's notion, listen up Nvidia! Have you reproduced the problem on the "rebuilt" system you made based on that guy in the bay area? Thanks!
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 03:53 AM   #181
DuckMaestro

just to add to the list... i am another end user with the flicker problem....

p4 2.26ghz, intel850e w/rdram 1066 1GB

msi gf-fx 5900 ultra 256mb

-----------------------------
Only happens in games.... and all games (UT2k3, WC3X, SWG, VICECITY).... also happens on certain dx9sdk demos but not all.

the "flicker" is like a switching between light and dark, it does not look like normal moniter flicker.

the flickering speed varies proportionally to framerate, if not 1to1 with framerate

flickering is easily apparent on my CRT on the dSUB.....

also when i play games on my LCD on the DVI.... it causes flickering on my CRT on the dSUB, even when the game is being played fullscreen on my LCD on DVI...

on game loading screens, the flickering is sporaditic and happens in bursts as the "loading bar" changes. (Warcraft3)

sometimes when the camera is pointed one direction, the flickering is completly gone, yet when i point another direction the flickering returns (Star wars galaxies)

tried tons of drivers, updated my mobo bios.

the card is in RMA at the moment so i havnt tried the new nvidia driver just released but i doubt it will fix.

--------------------------

i just thought id share my situation and add my name to the list of troubled fx5900 users.

i hope nvidia finds a fix soon. i miss my lovely (yet flickered) framerates i was getting :/ plus i spent alot of cash on the sucker and cant use it.

- Duck
DuckMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 11:17 PM   #182
DuckMaestro

Arrow

alright my card just came back in the mail today from rma..

seems MSI didnt do a thing. i got back the same card same serial.

i put it in and tried out the new 45.23 drivers and still flickering like before

*sigh*

i hope nvidia finds a solution soon!

-duck
Old 08-15-03, 03:38 AM   #183
Templar

Default Re: "Flickering", "Quivering" and "rolling lines"--NVIDIA needs your h

HELP Nvidia!?!?!?!

Edited by MUYA - Pls if you do not have anything to contribute then do not post. Pls stay within thread's original topic
"Keats".
Gaming Rig:
[FX-55][Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe][1GB CorsairXL][X850XT PE][4xSATA 160GB,200GB Ext. Firewire][Audigy 2@Cambridge THX 500W 5.1][NEC DVD-RW 3500][22" Mitsubishi SuperBright Diamondtron][PcPower 510W][TT Xaser 3 alu][Zalman Reserator with ZM CPU block and Swiftec MCW50]
Laptop (work):
[ ECS G551 Centrino 1400MHz ][ 512MB PC2700 ECC ][ M9 Radeon9000 64MB ][ 15.1" TFT 1400*1050 ][ 40GB HD ][ DVD/CDRW ][ WiFi@home ][ AC97 5.1 ]

Last edited by MUYA; 08-15-03 at 11:42 AM.
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 05:11 AM   #184
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Just got a Gainward 5900 non-Ultra 256 MB today (review will be up later today, first non-Ultra with 256 MB me thinks, pretty wild performance)
It has both the flickering issue AND the mouse wheel issue.

Though there's no consistency, the issues just come and go as they please.

Turning off smooth scrolling did nothing for me when it comes to the mouse issue.

Pretty funny that the mouse wheel bug makes the actual videocard make noises. Sounds like short bursts electrical surges.
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 05:12 AM   #185
letsel

Like i said before, they dont give a XXXX To hell with Nvidia indeed.

Edited by MUYA - Private Msg sent

Last edited by MUYA; 08-15-03 at 11:38 AM.
letsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 07:17 AM   #186
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by letsel
Like i said before, they dont give a XXXX!!!! To hell with Nvidia indeed.
They are working on it. Give them a chance to find a solution...

Last edited by MUYA; 08-15-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-15-03, 01:11 PM   #187
DuckMaestro

yea, its not the end of the world guys. every company makes mistakes every now and then. so just chill out

- duck
Old 08-15-03, 01:21 PM   #188
Flavius

This affects me because I can't play UT2K3 and Morrowind with 4XAA/8XAF. Have to resort to only 2XAA. (Since now I have to use a GF4).

Old 08-15-03, 01:43 PM   #189
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
This affects me because I can't play UT2K3 and Morrowind with 4XAA/8XAF. Have to resort to only 2XAA. (Since now I have to use a GF4).
Why can't you play those games at 4xAA/8xAF?

The flickering does not affect gameplay/rendering/AA/AF or whatever. It's just a noise modulated in the VGA signal...
Old 08-15-03, 01:49 PM   #190
King_HooF

I really hope that the new FX SE-series isn't the only solution to this problem!

I'd treid some other things like raising the agp voltage and frequency,also unplugged all chassifans but no change....*sigh*
King_HooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 01:53 PM   #191
Flavius

FX-SE??? Where is the info on this? Link me man, link me!
Old 08-15-03, 02:01 PM   #192
FredGSanford

Quote:
Originally posted by DuckMaestro
yea, its not the end of the world guys. every company makes mistakes every now and then. so just chill out

- duck
Not for nothing but these people do have a right to be piff'd.. Were talking about $500USD per card... And every company may make mistakes... so this means that people who spent there hard earn money should just be happy they have an expensive strobe light? Sorry but I think people who actually shelled out the $ for this have the right to be angry. They have no other way of letting Nvidia know this since they will simply be ignored by both the Company that supplies the 5900 and Nvidia themselves. So they will flock here and post in anger at nvidia.

I think by now they know what the problem is... They have the equipment and the know how to determine this by now. We need the solution! Or at least for now some information would be nice... Just a little bit of info on where all the info they have and what is wrong would set allot of people at ease...

Last edited by FredGSanford; 08-15-03 at 02:10 PM.
FredGSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 03:13 PM   #193
King_HooF

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
FX-SE??? Where is the info on this? Link me man, link me!

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

This was before the 45.23 became the official driver and the readme file listed the SE card as supported by the driver
King_HooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 08:49 PM   #194
DuckMaestro

FredGSanford, yea i didnt mean i was happy about shelling out 580$ for my card that doesnt work. If we didnt get any customer care and fixes for the flicker problem in the end, then yea i would be ticked off. I was basicly saying that we need to wait a little longer, the problem/solution is still being worked on.
Old 08-15-03, 09:30 PM   #195
TimooZ

Send a message via ICQ to TimooZ

Hi all, It is my first post in this great forum. I have a geforce2/pro 64 MB DDR card. My system configuration is as follow: Intel Pentium4 2.4 GHZ-512 DDR-Gigabyte P4 Titan (Gamma) mother board- sound blaster live value- LG Flatron 775T (17 inch monitor). I tried Windows Xp (home and proff additions)

3 or 4 weeks ago the fan started to produce an annoying loud voice, but it was just a sound, at this period when i tried to play some games like (Need for speed) the computer used to hang. i stopped playing games as i was afraid the card get damaged or something. Anyway, 10 days ago or something the sound disappeared by itself and the fan looked like it was working probably and the previous games now work well and the computer doesn't hang or crashe anymore. The problem is that while playing SOME games like (Generals-Indiana Jones- Nightfire 007) some kind of annoying graphical lines with different width and long appear. These lines make me unable to see a lot of areas (the areas behind them). I don't know wether it is the flickering and rolling lines problem u r discussing.I suggested that is a temperature problem because of the fan but other heavy gamed like (GTA 3) works without any problems. I repeat the fan doesn't produce any sound now. If anyone has a solution for my problem i will be thankful. At least let me know if there is a temperature indidcator availble anywhere so i can know the condition of the fan. BTW, i tried all the latest detenator drivers but nothing new. I am waiting for ur replies and accept my greetings
TimooZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 05:27 PM   #196
HaMaMsY

Send a message via ICQ to HaMaMsY

hi all i have a Gainward FX 1200 Golden sample as listed below in my sig and you can say there is no flicker except when i enter a folder full of pics and viewed as thumbnails

also i read in this thread that someone (i dont remember the nick) wanted anybody to test the TV-out and see if there is any flicker or not well i did and there is no flicker also

but there is something weird happend after i installed the new drivers from nVidia, i hook my PS2 up to the videoin of the card to play on my monitor everything was ok until i installed the new driver i started the video capture program that comes with the card like i always do and i was like WTF the video capturing program screen was flickering like hell only the program screen so i went and installed the previous driver and everything back to normal again

Last edited by HaMaMsY; 08-16-03 at 05:32 PM.
HaMaMsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-03, 08:25 AM   #197
skoprowski

Please BB, can you update us on the problem? I have 2 5900 Ultra's and they both flicker on Via KT600, nforce1, nforce2 and nforce2 400 Ultra chipset motherboards. I have also tried 3 different monitors and 3 differnt power supplies to no avail. My ATI 9800 pro is crystal clear on these systems. If no resolution is found these 5900's are going to be sold for ATI 9900's soon.

Please respond to this soon Nvidia,

Scott
eVGA 8800GTX
BFG Ageia PPU 128 pci
Audigy X-fi Audio pci express
Coolermaster 850w
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Windows XP Pro 64bit
skoprowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 07:19 PM   #198
Hunter32
Computer Junkie

I guess no news is bad news?
Hunter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 07:26 PM   #199
Flavius

Yes Mr. Burke, please reply NOW and tell us the status. Even if the status is, we're still working on it. And tell us which future Nvidia chip will have cards that do NOT have this flicker problem, if possible. Thank you.
Old 08-20-03, 09:18 PM   #200
Lasereth

*I was told to post on this forum to help out. I've already sent back my entire computer plus my GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (for the second time). Maybe this information will help those who still need a solution for the buzzing while scrolling problem.*

I bought a new computer this summer. I spent over $1,000 on it, and that's a pretty good amount for a custom PC. Anyway, I ordered it all from NewEgg.com, including an eVGA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. The first card I got looked really neat with the green heatsink and all, but I had to RMA it unfortunately. Before I get into the problem, here's my setup:

Abit NF7-S Mobo with ALL up-to-date drivers
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
1 GB (512x2) PC2700 RAM, one stick is K-Bit and the other stick is SimpleTech
Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM
Samsung CD-RW
Samsung Floppy
400w Sparkle PSU (top of the line, dual heatsink spreaders in it)

My first eVGA FX 5900 Ultra was great. I got a decent 15,650 on 3D Mark 2001 and a decent 5,650 on 3D Mark 2003. I have DirectX 9.0 installed. My problem: When scrolling on webpages or playing games/benchmarks, a VERY annoying buzzing sound is emitted from the video card. It does NOT do it when I'm not scrolling or playing games. Another interesting piece of information: the card does NOT make the noise unless I have the NVIDIA drivers installed. Both of the latest drivers make the noise.

I RMA'ed back my FX to NewEgg.com, and they sent another. Guess what? I got a nice new FX with black heatsinks, and yep -- it makes the same buzzing noise. I've noticed that the more graphically intense app I'm running, the louder/higher pitched the sound is. When running 3d Mark 2003, the sound goes CRAZY. You can hear it over my Volcano 7+ CPU fan at HIGH speed, if that tells you anything.

I'm also experiencing mild flickering in the benchmark tests, but I've read about that on the forums already. Looks like we're all awaiting an answer on that one.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the buzzing sound? It's not coming from my speakers, monitor, or hard drive. It's coming from the FX 100%. I'm running Windows XP Professional Edition, re-installed three times in the past week. I've also made sure that it's not the fan on the FX; the sound is coming from the actual card.

-Lasereth
Lasereth is offline   Reply With Quote