Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-03, 11:14 PM   #201
Flavius

Unhappy

Sounds (pun intended) like its time to fire some Nvidia engineers.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 11:27 PM   #202
EDLIM
eVGA Senior Member

Weeks and weeks have gone by.... and I am really deepened , troubled and sad to say that this might turn out to be a design flaw..... I hope that it won't turn out this way..because it could be devastating ..just thinking about the predicament Nvidia will be in. I am an Nvidia supporter... and I hate to see this happen... but reality is slowly showing up on the horizon.

Last edited by EDLIM; 08-20-03 at 11:40 PM.
EDLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 11:43 PM   #203
FredGSanford

When EDLIM starts to see a clowdy day I start to feel the pain... EDLIM is always helping people out on the eVGA forums day and night for nvidia cards.

EDIT: Doh, I spelled Cloudy wrong

Last edited by FredGSanford; 08-20-03 at 11:49 PM.
FredGSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 05:39 AM   #204
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Had to exchange my 5900 Ultra for a 5900 non-Ultra in order to play any games (bad flickering), heck even use 2D (mouse wheel noise and some slight flickering).

"Another interesting piece of information: the card does NOT make the noise unless I have the NVIDIA drivers installed. Both of the latest drivers make the noise."
If you run 3D with the default DX8 driver shipped with windows you don't get the problem?

This means that there might indeed be a fix for at least the noise problem in a future driver.
The flickering problem (which is a much more serious problem for me personally) still seems pretty mysterious though.
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 11:15 AM   #205
skoprowski

Can anyone at NVnews get a response for us?
eVGA 8800GTX
BFG Ageia PPU 128 pci
Audigy X-fi Audio pci express
Coolermaster 850w
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Windows XP Pro 64bit
skoprowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 11:34 AM   #206
Flavius

Hey AnteP! You're saying that you now have a 5900 non-Ultra WITHOUT the flickering?? WHAT BRAND AND MODEL PLEASE? I had a 5900 non-Ultra originally that flickered! If there is a brand that does not flicker, I will buy it! Thanks!
Old 08-21-03, 11:35 AM   #207
Flavius

Has anyone gotten a response lately from e-mailing BB directly?
Old 08-21-03, 12:26 PM   #208
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Lasereth
Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the buzzing sound?
This sound comes from the voltage regulators on the GF FX. Although this whistling sound can be completely avoided by disabling hardware acceleration, this is of course not a solution. A driver fix is very unlikely for this kind of problem unless nvidia finds some really clever idea how to go around this issue using software hacks...

I will mail BB on the flickering issue to see if I can get some word on the current situation...

Last edited by Morrow; 08-21-03 at 12:35 PM.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 12:36 PM   #209
Flavius

Nvidia might have excellent digital logic designers and coders, but it is absolutely clear that their analog and board designers are TERRIBLE. How about this Nvidia... stop making reference boards, that way other companies can make their own designs and not copy your faulty ones! If ASUS for example had to make their own card design based on the 5900, do you really think it would flicker or make strange sounds? I say NO WAY.
Old 08-21-03, 02:12 PM   #210
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
If ASUS for example had to make their own card design based on the 5900, do you really think it would flicker or make strange sounds? I say NO WAY.
I don't know about ASUS but the MSI's own design for the 5900 Ultra has the same flickering problem as nvidia's reference design...
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 02:25 PM   #211
Flavius

Quote:
I don't know about ASUS but the MSI's own design for the 5900 Ultra has the same flickering problem as nvidia's reference design...
How do you know its their own design? I bet you its at heavily based on, or heavily influenced by the Nvidia reference. The point is that if there was no Nvidia reference design at all, just a chip, that customers would have at least ONE vendor choice that didn't have this problem, because every company would be forced to design their own thing from scratch.
Old 08-21-03, 03:38 PM   #212
Flavius

Quote:
The flickering described is kind of like some of the flicker that occurs with power-lines nearby or other types of external interference
That's why I keep asking if anyone with all metal encased Leadtek 5900 cards have the flicker problem. So far no Leadtek Twin Turbo II all metal encased card user has said anything about flicker, as far as I can see... one person who does have it said they didn't see any flicker. I think its possible that completely metal encased Leadtek (even the fan holes have big metal net mesh covering them) might be immune to the flicker because they are shielded from the outside world?!

Old 08-21-03, 04:37 PM   #213
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Hey AnteP! You're saying that you now have a 5900 non-Ultra WITHOUT the flickering?? WHAT BRAND AND MODEL PLEASE? I had a 5900 non-Ultra originally that flickered! If there is a brand that does not flicker, I will buy it! Thanks!
I have 5 5900 boards at home, only one of the three non-Ultras have the problems.
The two that work properly are ABIT and Inno3D.

But the problem isn't tied to the third party manufacturer so don't expect every ABIT 5900 to be problem free, or even less of them being problem free.

If I get 1000 Gainward boards and 1000 ABIT boards an equal amount of percentage of the boards will be fuxxored, at least according to what I've seen as of yet. (I review videocards, if you're wondering where I get all these boards from )

on the boards I have components may vary, but one thing that looks identical on all boards is the voltage regulators
thus I don't think any brand would be better than the other when it comes to this (if it's true that the voltage regulators are the cause of the problems)

btw this problem seems pretty f-cking bad
I've had 6 5900 boards in total, three of them has flickering and/or noise problem
Old 08-21-03, 05:54 PM   #214
ThaRugged

I've got the Leadtek A350 TDH MYVIVO (Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256MB)
It is the one in the metal case, but I can tell you the card produces the same annoying sounds and the same flickering everybody in this thread has to deal with.
I hope Nvidia will fix this soon.
I paid over 500 $ so where is the support Mr. Burke ?
ThaRugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 06:19 PM   #215
biggles2120

Angry Have the flicker problem with my new Gainward 256meg FX Ultra.

I can see it in all of my 3d apps, but some are worse than others(Like UT). I hope a fix is available soon. I'm really starting to regret spending $430.00 on a video card that is nothing more than a paper weight!!! I'm back to my ti4200 until this thing gets fixed. I would RMA the thing, but I'll wait until we get word from nvidia. Better be soon.
biggles2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 06:29 PM   #216
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaRugged
I've got the Leadtek A350 TDH MYVIVO (Geforce FX5900 Ultra 256MB)
It is the one in the metal case, but I can tell you the card produces the same annoying sounds and the same flickering everybody in this thread has to deal with.
I hope Nvidia will fix this soon.
I paid over 500 $ so where is the support Mr. Burke ?
Actually Mr Burke doesn't owe you anything, Leadtek does.

The one thing that boggles me is how nVidia and their partners totally missed this in quality control. I mean a massive amount of boards are affected, probably much more than we've read about simply because users haven't noticed yet or blamed it on other stuff or simply are "Avarage Joes" who don't know where to go with such problems.

Yet, it slipped through with ease or so it seems.

If it is indeed unfixable in software this might get very ugly for all nVidia partners, with RMA and all I mean. (Should also spell pretty large financial setbacks too.)

If it is nVidias fault I wonder if the third party manufacturers will get refunds on the faulty boards/chips they've bought?
Old 08-21-03, 07:01 PM   #217
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Maybe you're making the wrong assumption. Maybe most people don't have it so that's why it made it through quality control.
Of course I'm not counting out that the fact that more than half the boards I've tried and basically all my friends boards might be freaks in the statistics.

In any case it seems to be at the extreme minimum a one out of ten case.

Especially when considering how many people realized they had the problem when they were told of the symptoms.
Old 08-21-03, 07:34 PM   #218
FredGSanford

Actually the problem is very wide spread... I've been pointing people to these forums from various places that weren't even aware they had the problem till they were pointed out the problem and others did know but they were lost. Some people don't even notice the flickering but it is there. I've now been through 4 FX 5900 Boards to date (some ultra and some non and some exchanged/RMA'd and most returned). At first I was wondering if I was the only one that seen the flickering/strobe effect but when I asked 5 other people they all seen it yet my brother who I thought had great eye sight couldn't see it but he could pic out imperfections in a cars paint job at first glance. The problem is there... go through IRC and other various chat rooms and ask people about there 5900 Boards and you will see that people do have the problem but they just don't know what to do or where to go. There are still people poping up on various Forums that have had the card for some time but are only now asking for help or if there is something wrong with there system(s). Take a look around, there are other places other then this forum or rage3d's or toms... Chat Rooms/Channels, ETC...
Old 08-21-03, 08:46 PM   #219
Flavius

Quote:
THANK YOU! You just saved me a huge hassle and $50 in restocking fees.
Old 08-21-03, 09:07 PM   #220
jojo46

I'm sorry but IMAO if users doesn't see the problem, then there is no problem. We're not all as sensitive to such things, that's the same for music where people could spend thousands of dollards on an hi-fi system and i won't pick the difference with my Altec speakers.

However I can see it : ) and it's really awfull on certain games (war3) and annoying on desktop. I got the tiny sound too, on certain apps, when I scroll mouse.
My card is the MSI non-Ultra 5900, running on a A7N8X with Athlon XP 2400. I got a 500w Enermax ps. (if nvidia is still collecting data and if this can help)

And I hope it will be soon fixed.
jojo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 09:16 PM   #221
jojo46

I've read with interest the theory of an electrical issue with the board design. I'd like to know if u think that this new motherboard, with a six phase alimentation, might be able to solve the issue ?
http://www.guru3d.com/article.php?ca...6&pagenumber=3
jojo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 09:31 PM   #222
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo46
I'm sorry but IMAO if users doesn't see the problem, then there is no problem. We're not all as sensitive to such things, that's the same for music where people could spend thousands of dollards on an hi-fi system and i won't pick the difference with my Altec speakers.

However I can see it : ) and it's really awfull on certain games (war3) and annoying on desktop. I got the tiny sound too, on certain apps, when I scroll mouse.
My card is the MSI non-Ultra 5900, running on a A7N8X with Athlon XP 2400. I got a 500w Enermax ps. (if nvidia is still collecting data and if this can help)

And I hope it will be soon fixed.
Of course if the users don't see it it's not a problem, for them that is. (probably the same users who are just fine with being stuck in 60 Hz in 2K/XP )
It however is still important to establish how common the problem is (no matter if the individual users percieves it as a problem or not).

Especially for the potential buyers this is important.
Old 08-21-03, 10:38 PM   #223
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

OWA
I'm rather implying that the problem could be widespread, and my interpretation of the "data" at hand is that it does indeed seem to be fairly wide spread, and as such it might be better to wait this one out for a while to see what happens before you go out and open up the wallet.

I'd rather be safe than sorry for my 400-500 dollar investement ya know. For a lot of people, especially the younger people, 400-500 dollars is A LOT of money to invest in a videocard.

Last edited by AnteP; 08-21-03 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 11:40 PM   #224
Flavius

Quote:
I'd rather be safe than sorry for my 400-500 dollar investement ya know. For a lot of people, especially the younger people, 400-500 dollars is A LOT of money to invest in a videocard.
I could care less if it was $100 or $500. The flickering is so annoying I'd send it back regardless of the price. In fact, for a flickering 5900, I would pay no more than $25... and then keep it around as a novelty or test item. Of course, I also wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 9800 Pro, given the crashes it gave me on older games. We can't win people. The only thing you can do is buy a top of the line Geforce4 with no crashes and no flicker, and just grin and bear it. Personally, I've settled down for the waiting game. I'll buy the first *new* Nvidia card that DOES NOT FLICKER, regardless of the price!

Old 08-22-03, 01:04 AM   #225
FredGSanford

OWA>

I never even knew there was a flicker problem with the board... I didn't know about it so I pretty much didn't go looking into anything about it or for it. I simply bought the card and seen it right away. Its kind of like watching an old T.V. and when you see this energy wave going from the bottom to the top (not sure if any of you ever seen this?). It distracts from what a person is doing and can also be potentially very harmful to the eyes as well.

I think its very funny how some people are very content with paying $500 on a video card and could care less if it works the way it should... I've also seen a few people say things about how if you were on ati you would be in an even worse position... that itself is funny too because its basically saying... well if brand A doesn't work well why should Brand B so just be happy that you have anything at all even if it doesn't work properly. Seems like these kinds of statements simply tell nvidia they shouldn't give too cr@ps about the people who are getting screwed over.