Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-11, 04:50 PM   #1
jmings

Default Quadro FX 4800: X hangs intermittently, NVRM: Xid 13, and 8

Im running into an issue with NVIDIA drivers under Slackware 13.0 (Xorg v1.6.3) and kernel 2.6.33. When running our homegrown application which is a combination of Qt with an OpenGL frame (with the OpenGL bits generated by GLStudio) our X session hangs. Weve observed this with both the 190.53 and 260.19.36 drivers. On a given overnight run of 14 systems (all configured the same), 2 will usually be hung by morning.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (40.0 KB, 63 views)
jmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 06:50 AM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: Quadro FX 4800: X hangs intermittently, NVRM: Xid 13, and 8

270.30 too?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 07:42 AM   #3
jmings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
270.30 too?
I'll update them and give the latest driver a whirl this morning.
Old 03-08-11, 02:10 PM   #4
jmings

Thumbs up Re: Quadro FX 4800: X hangs intermittently, NVRM: Xid 13, and 8

After running about 6 hours finally had an instance of X crash with the 270.26 driver (I didn't see a version 270.30 available on NVIDIA's support site). Attached is the latest bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (44.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-08-11, 07:09 PM   #5
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Is there any way you can provide your application, or a sample program that reproduces the issue, to NVIDIA?
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 08:27 AM   #6
jmings

The application is just one cog in a larger system, so it doesn't do anything on it's own. But to describe the nature of the application, it simply takes in a data packet at 10 Hz (yeah, very slow) and updates an openGL frame. Nothing special or out of the ordinary occurs on these runs, it basically is doing the same thing it did the first 20 minutes over and over.

We had some success last night in that we swapped out the Quadro 4800FX cards with GeForce GTX 285. We scrounged up 10, ran it over night with the 260.19 driver and none of the applications failed.

We'll keep running with the GTX cards and see how they hold up.

Is there any way to get more information on the nature of the XID 8 and 13 messages? If I understood what was "bothering" the card, I might be able to prevent it on my application side.
Old 03-09-11, 09:00 PM   #7
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

There are quite a few different ways that the driver could end up reporting one of these Xids, so trying to speculate on what behavior in the app is triggering it would be difficult.

Now that you have the Quadros pulled out, do you think you can put one into a system that's not part of your production environment and try to come up with an isolated reproduction case? It would really help us to understand what's happening here.
Old 03-10-11, 08:43 AM   #8
jmings

We scrounged up a few more GTX 285 cards and have had all 14 systems up for 24 hours with no problems.

Danix, I may be able to root around and find a prototype standalone of our app and see how it behaves on a Quadro and if it triggers a similar failure. It may take awhile to reproduce on one machine though since this really all boils down to 2 failures every 168 hours.

The ability to run for long periods of time without failures is critical for this application, but unfortunately, I have to give back the GTX 285 cards I pilfered from colleagues. Since GTX 285 does not appear to be readily available on the market anymore, can I expect similar long term reliability in the GTX 400 or 500 series? Is one known to be more reliable long term than the other?

Old 03-24-11, 07:29 PM   #9
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks, jmings. Please keep us updated if you are able to isolate a reproducer that can cause the hang on demand. I understand that due to the low incidence, it has been difficult for you to determine exactly what causes this: this would also make it difficult for us to investigate what might be causing the problem.

As for long term reliability of GTX 400 series vs GTX 500 series, any remarks on this would be purely speculative, as GTX 400 has been around for about a year, and GTX 500 for a few months. Sorry we can't be of much help there.