Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-11, 10:48 AM   #37
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
I *really* don't understand people's beef with noise. I'm running dual OC'd 470's at 100% fan speed (during gaming), and I don't notice. Why? Because if I'm gaming , I usually use headphones to listen to the loud sounds ...you know, like gunshots, explosions, people screaming, etc.

And when I'm not gaming, the cards throttle back and run in nice low power mode.

Rollo, I have nothing against you personally, man, but I think you're really grasping at straws if you have the nerve to harp on an AMD card for being "too loud". It's a dual GPU card. It's going to be "loud". It's going to draw tons of power. It's going to be blazing fast. The AMD single GPU stuff is REALLY quiet and draws so much less power than nVidia equivalents.
Are you suggesting people who don't wear headsets don't hear these things?

I enjoy my 5.1, my desktop mic and not having something clamped to my head, how ever comfortable that set may be.

Excessive noise is a deal breaker for me.
 
Old 03-10-11, 12:02 PM   #38
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Are you suggesting people who don't wear headsets don't hear these things?

I enjoy my 5.1, my desktop mic and not having something clamped to my head, how ever comfortable that set may be.

Excessive noise is a deal breaker for me.
I just noticed the excessive GTX 480 heat was not a deal breaker for you since it run hotter than the HD 6990.
Just guessing that's why you bought the Arctic Cooling Xtreme+ .

I'm almost sure we will soon see some similar solutions for the HD 6990. In the meantime I have to wear headphones because my neighbor does not like to listen to all the explosion, gunfire and other noise from my late night gaming.

Actually I should thank my neighbor for complaining, because I like the headphones sound (in my signature) much better.

Newegg said the HD 6990 is in the mail, I'm going to invite my sexy neighbor to show her my new graphic card and maybe some late night gaming.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 01:14 PM   #39
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
I *really* don't understand people's beef with noise. I'm running dual OC'd 470's at 100% fan speed (during gaming), and I don't notice. Why? Because if I'm gaming , I usually use headphones to listen to the loud sounds ...you know, like gunshots, explosions, people screaming, etc.

And when I'm not gaming, the cards throttle back and run in nice low power mode.

Rollo, I have nothing against you personally, man, but I think you're really grasping at straws if you have the nerve to harp on an AMD card for being "too loud". It's a dual GPU card. It's going to be "loud". It's going to draw tons of power. It's going to be blazing fast. The AMD single GPU stuff is REALLY quiet and draws so much less power than nVidia equivalents.
I don't have much against fan noise either, as I've stated many times over the years. I always have 2-4 high end GPUs in my main box, and it goes with the territory.

We're talking about the general public though, and can you honestly say to me people didn't freak out and talk for months about the noise of the GTX480, all over the internet?

I think I can safely say the the 6990 being as loud as two GTX480s in SLi will be on the "con" list for the card, and that if the 590 launches with similar accoustics sales of neither card will be good.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 01:22 PM   #40
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I think I can safely say the the 6990 being as loud as two GTX480s in SLi will be on the "con" list for the card, and that if the 590 launches with similar accoustics sales of neither card will be good.
Is it really that hard to get it through your thick skull that the card is cooling two high powered gpus? Of course it's going to be louder than any single gpu card. Anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously retarded.

Lets see how the 590 does with two even HIGHER powered gpu's on it.. yeah, its going to be loud also.
Roadhog is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 01:29 PM   #41
candle_86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Is it really that hard to get it through your thick skull that the card is cooling two high powered gpus? Of course it's going to be louder than any single gpu card. Anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously retarded.

Lets see how the 590 does with two even HIGHER powered gpu's on it.. yeah, its going to be loud also.
why does it have to be?

The 7950GX2 was quiter than the 7900GTX at full load, the 9800GX2 was quiter than the 9800GTX at full load and the GTX295 was quiter than the GTX285 at full load.

Now ATI the 3870x2 was louder than the 3870, the 4870x2 was louder than the 4870, and the 5970 was louder than the 5870.

I see a problem here, what about you?
candle_86 is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 01:45 PM   #42
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

You simply need to look at the power connectors to tell why. The more power you draw the more heat you're going to make. The first reversal on the green camp was the GTX 580 after all of the reviews were concerned about the temps on the GTX 480.

I really think that these cards simply cross into the exotic area. Anyone buying one of these knows fully what they are getting into. Nvidia and ATI could come up with bigger coolers but the main issue for these cards is the space constraints they have to fit into. Honestly what would still be a better solution for them is make the card 3 slots wide but flip the PCB to be perpendicular to the slot. Then you could attach 2 full size coolers like you do with your CPU. That would make it so the cards could touch each other and not block airflow.

It would be awesome to see someone actually step up and change the 20 something year old design of how the expansion slots are setup in a computer. With the majority of components onboard the gpu might be the only expansion card in a lot of pcs. A new design could eliminate the need for 30 / 40mm fans on graphics cards.
Bman212121 is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 01:52 PM   #43
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
why does it have to be?

The 7950GX2 was quiter than the 7900GTX at full load, the 9800GX2 was quiter than the 9800GTX at full load and the GTX295 was quiter than the GTX285 at full load.

Now ATI the 3870x2 was louder than the 3870, the 4870x2 was louder than the 4870, and the 5970 was louder than the 5870.

I see a problem here, what about you?
Yep, I see a problem here.

You are wrong on every account.

7950 GX2, louder than 7900GTX


9800gx2 is also louder than the 9800GTX
9800GTX:
Quote:
Though audible when it spins up (as the GPU will get hotter), it's noise levels are not bad. Expect roughly 43 DBa when the GPU is fully stressed.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-plus-review/3

9800GX2
Quote:
When we start to stress and heat up the GPU cores the RPM of the fans will increase, still not bad bad but our results end at a 45 DBa weighing which is noticeable, but not at all annoying
http://www.guru3d.com/article/bfg-ge...024mb-review/4

You are also wrong again as the GTX295 is louder than the 285. I don't know where you pulled this info out of your ass.
295:
Quote:
When we loop 3DMark Vantage for a while the GPU really heats up, as a side-effect the fan RPM will go up even higher, the noise-levels are now 45-46 dBA which definitely can be heard, overall these results are a tad noisy.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...5-review-bfg/5

285:
Quote:
When we loop 3DMark Vantage for a while the GPU really heats up, as a side-effect the fan RPM will go up even higher, the noise-levels are now 42 dBA which definitely can be heard, but it's fine really.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigaby...-review-test/5

I'm not going to bother looking up the noise levels of the ATi cards because i'm sure the dual gpu cards are also louder.
Roadhog is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 02:09 PM   #44
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
why does it have to be?

The 7950GX2 was quiter than the 7900GTX at full load, the 9800GX2 was quiter than the 9800GTX at full load and the GTX295 was quiter than the GTX285 at full load.

Now ATI the 3870x2 was louder than the 3870, the 4870x2 was louder than the 4870, and the 5970 was louder than the 5870.

I see a problem here, what about you?
Well I have no time to go search all the temps on Nvidia cards. So I'm going to trust you did the research before posting this.

Here we go from what I remember, all the examples you used for the Nvidia dual GPU cards were actually based on 2 cards sandwich model therefore most likely using different cooling solution.

The exception was the later GTX295 but it was not based on GTX 285 so why compare?

I hope that solved your BIG problem.

EDIT
Well by the time I finished typing, my post was waste of time since Roadhog proved you wrong anyway.

I know this is rumor forum but I don't think that means people should make they own rumors.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline  

Old 03-10-11, 02:12 PM   #45
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Well I have no time to go search all the temps on Nvidia cards. So I'm going to trust you did the research before posting this.

Here we go from what I remember, all the examples you used for the Nvidia dual GPU cards were actually based on 2 cards sandwich model therefore most likely using different cooling solution.

The exception was the later GTX295 but it was not based on GTX 285 so why compare?

I hope that solved your BIG problem.
I did it for you.
Roadhog is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 02:27 PM   #46
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
I just noticed the excessive GTX 480 heat was not a deal breaker for you since it run hotter than the HD 6990.
Just guessing that's why you bought the Arctic Cooling Xtreme+ .

I'm almost sure we will soon see some similar solutions for the HD 6990. In the meantime I have to wear headphones because my neighbor does not like to listen to all the explosion, gunfire and other noise from my late night gaming.

Actually I should thank my neighbor for complaining, because I like the headphones sound (in my signature) much better.

Newegg said the HD 6990 is in the mail, I'm going to invite my sexy neighbor to show her my new graphic card and maybe some late night gaming.
Yep, I actually bought the 480 knowing I would be installing that cooler when available, mainly because of...is it Sparkle that ships with that cooler? I read those reviews prior to buying.

I know there are some fantastic headsets out there, I just don't like wearing them...being in my own house helps too. No neighboring apartments/condos...
 
Old 03-10-11, 09:30 PM   #47
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

Hypocrisy 101:
90% of first post talks about the "shortcomings" of the 6990, with only the last sentence about the 590...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollo View Post
I've been seeing some pretty amazing reports of the 6990 being the second coming of NVIDIA's FX5800 "dustbuster":

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4209/a...e-card-king/18

77dB at load?! I think that's higher than the FX5800U I used to have.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,2878-15.html

6dB higher than the GTX480 many ATi fans said was too loud to even consider?!

"There’s no excuse for a graphics card to be this loud and, if spinning its cooling fan up to 3600 RPM is the only way to keep the Radeon HD 6990 from overheating, then this product simply isn’t ready for consumption."

I'm very interested in the GTX590 as a 3d Vision Surround user, I've seen rumors it may handle 3 monitors online. However, if my cat starts writhing on the floor in agony from the sound, I'll have to stick with my GTX560 2GB SLi or buy another 580. Now I'm pretty curious if NVIDIA will be able to engineer a product people can stand to be around, given how far ATi came from this mark.
Then tells Roadhog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollo
This thread isn't for discussion of the 6990
IMO, I don't care how loud the card is, most gaming enthusiasts have monstrous speakers. I am not wealthy and even I have 560w 5.1 Logitechs.
You can't have EVERYTHING spoon fed to ya. There are trade offs for power and performance. Those are heat and noise. You can play Crysis @ 127fps on 2560x maxed out? Awesome I say.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline  
Old 03-10-11, 10:24 PM   #48
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: Will the GTX590 escape 6990s sound downfall???

It's not always about the overall loudness coming from the card either. For example, my 5870 is louder than my 9800 GTX+. That's a fact. However, there's a difference in the sound each of the fans produces. The 5870 produces an "airy" sound, with a very slight high pitched "jet" sound. It doesn't bother me at all. I can't hear it through my headphones at all.

Then, the 9800 GTX+, which runs much cooler, has a fan that produces a different sort of sound. Everytime the fan turns up a little bit, it always sounds like the fan is restarting, which is slightly annoying. The worst part about the fan though is that it has a very distinctive "whirring" that can be heard through my headphones if I don't crank the volume. That's distracting while gaming. It also has a slight electrical drone sound. Once again, not loud, but very annoying.



Just because something is loud doesn't mean that it's unacceptable. Acoustically, I prefer AMD's fans over Nvidia's fans simply because of the sound they produce, not the volume level. Funny enough, I never really noticed it on my past Nvidia cards because my late OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU had a very loud fan that drowned out everything else. Now that I've got a Corsair HX750, I'm hearing a lot more stuff going on inside my PC.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.