Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-07-02, 04:43 AM   #1
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Angry Sony Drops the SOCOM Ball!

Sony's widely anticipated foray into the world of online gaming is slagging through the mud. They marketed and hyped their ethernet adapter and SOCOM: Navy Seals for the past few months and now, when it comes time to walk the walk, Sony chokes.

SKUs for both of these items are LIMITED. In fact, the EB store got shorted 4 copies of SOCOM and couldn't make all of their pre-orders on release day. Same thing with the broadband modem - can't find it anywhere and both items have gone on back order. Retailers are limiting quantities so you can't like buy a copy for a yourself and a friend.

I've been trying to get this game for the past 2 weeks and every retail store I go says they don't expect anymore copies of either SOCOM or the ethernet adapter until September 15th or so.

What do you all think? Is Sony having manufacturing difficulties or is this just another typical Sony "shortage" PR stunt in an effort to create more false demand and give their console more attention and publicity, regardless if it's negative or positive?

Personally, I'm think it's "shortage" farce. When Final Fantasy 10 came out, there were tons of copies available. Same with Metal Gear Solid. But here they are, in their most naked moment, with the launch of their internet capability and the widely anticipated game of the year among frag addicts, and suddenly they can't produce enough ethernet adapters and copies of SOCOM to go around.

Totally embarassing.
Old 09-09-02, 03:56 AM   #2
Matthius

Send a message via ICQ to Matthius Send a message via AIM to Matthius

probably need to get there ethernet more organized.
Old 09-12-02, 10:30 AM   #3
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

Welp, I did manage to snag my copy of the game about 2 days ago. Outstanding! I think it's going to be the Halo Killer. Don't have the NA yet to try it online because I don't have the $50 for it (Meijer here is selling them for $49.99 - $10 more than everyone else..."Why Pay Mor" indeed). I've been hoping to find a USB Ethernet adapter that's compatible but I doubt I'll find one for $20 or less.

For an FPS on a console, the controls are great! Sure, I'd prefer Mouse & KB but I can work with the dual analog controller without much of a hindrance.

The only real problem with the game in single player mode is the annoying yet hilarious Boomer - your parasitic back up man in Abel team (Jester and Specter - your Bravo team - behave like real SEALs and are very lethal in comparison to Boomer) Boomer will remind you of all the brainless stuff noobs do in PC games. He will do his fair share of saving your life and taking it away with his antics. Most people will just shoot him at the start of a mission to greatly improve their chances of clearing a mission with stealth, but Boomer is a lovable idiot...even when he bounces a frag nade against wall or when he deploys a satchel loaded with C4 at your feet.

Last edited by PsychoSy; 09-12-02 at 10:35 AM.
PsychoSy is offline   Reply With Quote