Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-11, 08:53 AM   #25
Yaboze

Default Re: Sound card?

I have the X-Fi Titanium. It's small, PCIe and shielded.

I have no issues at all with Windows 7 x64. No pops, nothing. What I like most is the optical audio in, because I have my 360 on my LCD using the MS VGA cable. I have the wire from my case going into the card (Intel HD compliant or whatever) and I can use the audio ports on the front of my case.

The only problem is that EVGA put the PCE x4 slot in a bad slot, so if I go SLI, I'll have to dump the card.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:05 PM   #26
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Well it can, but it's well out of the realms of gaming.
How so?

Quote:
Remember Gravis Ultrasound? LOL The Disney Sound cards? Oh man. I remember even Tandy/Radioshack had one.
I never owned any of those but I remember reading about them in many a dos game manuals, god it would have been so annoying to have one of them. One thing that stands out a bit though was the Roland MT-32, which Sierra games used for all of their audio. I never actually owned one but when I tried playing those old games with an MT-32 emulator their sounds were WAY ahead of their time, it was pretty neat playing them with the audio effects as the creators intended.

The Disney one wasn't actually a card though:

Also the GUS from what I understand had better sound quality than all consumer level cards, and was the first to use wavetable synthesis, but again since it wasn't a creative card game support was hit or miss.
Old 03-14-11, 04:31 PM   #27
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
How so?
Real life Opera Houses ::

That might change with my production of Starcraft 2 though. Opening in the Sydney Opera House this Spring.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 08:20 PM   #28
Rakeesh

Quote:
Real life Opera Houses ::

Truth be told though, while I never go to concerts, I've had two music professionals (one friend, one teacher of a jazz history course I took) tell me that recorded audio is better than a live performance because its done in a controlled setting with no interference and multiple takes are done with the best one selected. The live performances are more about the social experience.

Again I wouldn't know though because I've never been to one.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 08:30 PM   #29
crainger

I think some random guy on nV News is far more qualified if I do say myself. ::
Old 03-15-11, 03:49 PM   #30
XDanger
Whaaat?

I've had no problems with my pci x-fi fatal1ty xtremegamer pro in x64 7

even though its very old.
Old 03-15-11, 04:26 PM   #31
john19055

I used a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty and never had any problem running windows 7 64bit,but since the GTX 470 has a mini-HDMI ,I just hook it up to my audio reciever and run the sound out from it ,that way I don't have to mess with having a secound set of speakers just for my computer.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 01:14 AM   #32
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12

one brand to stay away from is auzentech. I had two of their xfi cards (xfi pci and xfi forte pci-e). Got the forte because it has a headphone amp mic pre-amp or vice versa, I don't remember. as soon as I got to playing bass in a game, snap crackle pop. None of this crap happens with the pci-e shielded cards of creatives. I do also like the asus cards for the audiophile of course. With realtek's azalia on some boards if you get the dolby digital audio tab/option in the realtek control panel, you can emulate the cmss-3d of creatives. But it's a rare find as my last board was supposed to support it (gigabyte x58a-ud9, even came with the sticker) but it didn't. I know asus has something similar to cmss-3d. that tech is sooo needed today because game dev's wont program speaker output and leave it to the sound card manufacturers to do it. The only onboard solution I would use is the gigabyte g1 assassin and sniper with the creative 20k2 (pci-e creative cards use this). It would be nice for creative to license out their tech for more motherboards. It would put the mb at a premium price but would give me back a pci-e slot.
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790k 4.0 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, logitech g502 mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-11, 01:26 AM   #33
crainger

I have a x-fi forte and I haven't had any issues, it has a headphone amp. It's sad you had problems as I've been very happy with mine. I do agree it would be nice to have full featured implementations in motherboards, not just the Creative software solutions you get with some. Then again, We might see more in GPU onboard sound.
Old 03-17-11, 02:32 PM   #34
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a question instead of a new thread i will ask here

now i had this card for close to 5 years ( Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card ) and its still working great

but i feel like replacing it.. is there anything out there that would sound better than this card?

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:17 PM   #35
crainger

Not really. I'd keep it unless you need to move to pcie for whatever reason. Mine was SLI.
Old 03-18-11, 03:25 PM   #36
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Quote:
Not really. I'd keep it unless you need to move to pcie for whatever reason. Mine was SLI.
yeah crainger, i think i will stick with this untill they come up with EAX HD 6.0 or something

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote