Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-03, 08:49 AM   #25
jbirney

Quote:
With that said, though, it probably won't happen. The big difference between NVIDIA and ATI is that NVIDIA does not manufacture and sell their own cards, so they are not directly responsible for support. However, since most OEMs just include straight reference drivers with their cards, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all for NVIDIA to start a dialogue of some sort with the community regarding its drivers (and a beta program would be excellent).
Didn't they handle the making of the 5800Us (and 5900Us)??

Quote:

Taken from NVIDIA's support page.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We do not sell any products directly to end users so we do not have a staff dedicated to end-user technical support. If you are having a problem with any NVIDIA-based product, please contact either the PC or board manufacturer of your product.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this reason, I can understand why NVIDIA's folks don't "haunt" message boards. I can seee more where ATI would do this because they actually sell products with their corporate name on them and provide phone/e-mail/return support.
Popy****. Were do 99% of all drivers come from? I understand why they do this but I find it a big cop-out.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 07:44 PM   #26
Flavius

Quote:
To date, I have emailed Brian Burke, Derek Perez, and Carrie Cowan asking them why they had to devalue the 5800 by taking it off their website, and telling the reviewers they have learned from that mistake.
And as soon as NV38 comes out and fixes the infernal flickering issues, the NV35/34/31 will be swept under the rug also, and I don't blame them!
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 08:15 PM   #27
netviper13
Treehugger

Hmm, since it kinda goes along with several posts in this thread, here's my question: how can I get ahold of nVidia to ask a question about their drivers? Ever since the early 4x.xx series drivers, DVD playback has been disabled on my card, and after reading around it seems nVidia blocked the playback on non-Macrovision certified cards with TV-out because of a bug in DirectX 8. Obviously the problem should be nonexistant now, but the driver issue still remains. Contacting the manufacturer does nothing because they're not in charge of nVidia's drivers.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 08:19 PM   #28
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Popy****. Were do 99% of all drivers come from? I understand why they do this but I find it a big cop-out.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell.

Funny thing, I e-mailed Carrie Cowan today and got a reply within minutes...and we were both pleasant without any cursing or nothing!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 09:16 PM   #29
Rollo

Quote:
I e-mailed Carrie Cowan today and got a reply within minutes...and we were both pleasant without any cursing or nothing!
I'm glad you had a good experience with them.

Mine was the opposite. (and like I said, I was polite)
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 09:23 PM   #30
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo
I'm glad you had a good experience with them.

Mine was the opposite. (and like I said, I was polite)
Well, I ain't done dealing with them yet...I'm sort of in the middle of it so I ain't sure what the what is yet.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 08-08-03, 09:57 PM   #31
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
Hmm, since it kinda goes along with several posts in this thread, here's my question: how can I get ahold of nVidia to ask a question about their drivers? Ever since the early 4x.xx series drivers, DVD playback has been disabled on my card, and after reading around it seems nVidia blocked the playback on non-Macrovision certified cards with TV-out because of a bug in DirectX 8. Obviously the problem should be nonexistant now, but the driver issue still remains. Contacting the manufacturer does nothing because they're not in charge of nVidia's drivers.
As said, NVIDIA does not provide technical support. I don't think they will answer your question. The only thing you can do is bug your card manufacturer and hope they bug NVIDIA.
Old 08-09-03, 12:00 AM   #32
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
if i recall, the new drivers detect if your card properly outputs macrovision protection scheem though the svideo.

What is macrovision? Its some special stuff you can put on video output to make VCR's NOT record.

It is LAW that all VCR's have macrovision chips in them, so protected content CANNOT be recorded. To prove this, take 2 vcr's and have one record the other, put in a store bought movie and the copy will be really dark.

now, DVD's have the same thing on it, but with most nvidia cards it did not out put macrovision code.

What this means, is that with a PC and a nvidia card that dosent put out macrovision, you could copy your DVD's to tape.

THe movie industry i belive forced nvidia's drivers to report if it dosent support macrovision, then the dvd players all have to not work. I think they sued or thretend or something, i personly think nvidia should of took a stand.......

Old 08-13-03, 06:57 AM   #33
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

Quote:
from the driverheaven interview
Zardon: How can you see nvidia’s interactions with the general enthusiast community changing in the future?

Derek: I think you’ll see a couple of things. First of all – we’ve always monitored the community and listened to what they said – but very rarely have we communicated directly with them. So you’ll see more NV people participating in public forums – answering questions and laying to rest rumors and speculation. Also – you’ll see us sponsor more LAN parties, Gamefest, and so on. Doing tutorials, give-aways, sponsorships and more.
Old 08-18-03, 06:21 AM   #34
Hanners
Elite Bastard

From my solitary experience, nVidia's stance when someone pokes fun at them is to threaten legal action.
Old 08-18-03, 09:35 AM   #35
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Philibob
from the driverheaven interview
Zardon: How can you see nvidia’s interactions with the general enthusiast community changing in the future?

Derek: I think you’ll see a couple of things. First of all – we’ve always monitored the community and listened to what they said – but very rarely have we communicated directly with them. So you’ll see more NV people participating in public forums – answering questions and laying to rest rumors and speculation. Also – you’ll see us sponsor more LAN parties, Gamefest, and so on. Doing tutorials, give-aways, sponsorships and more.
Yeah, 'cept it's against corporate rules for them to post on boards.

Think they're going to change their policies? Or do you think nVidia employess are going to have to get corporate permission every time before they post?

They're talking the talk great, but I haven't seen a single change yet.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 08-18-03, 10:22 AM   #36
The Baron

Quote:
Think they're going to change their policies?
Yes.