Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-11, 01:54 PM   #1
G.S.Link

Angry Nvidia Driver software bugs

Due to the fact that the supplied Fedora system NOUVEAU drivers will not support a GT220 card it was necessary to install Nvidia drivers. This was accomplished with some difficulty. The current 64 bit drivers proved to be defective and failed software testing. These drivers do not support DVI and are only able to detect a monitor if it is analog. Earlier cards were tried with the same result. Attempting to define the monitor in the xconfig.conf file fails and the monitor is stuck with a maximum resolution of 640x480. The earlier cards are supported by NOUVEAU and it does support DVI correctly. All analog monitors seem to be supported properly but large monitors that need to be supported by DVI fail.
G.S.Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:08 PM   #2
artem

Default Re: Nvidia Driver software bugs

If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:43 PM   #3
Deanjo

So you have tried multiple cards and multiple monitors and can't get any DVI connections to work but you are the only one reporting such issue. Common logic would say that the issues lies outside of the driver and more with the user. This sounds more like you don't have the driver installed properly and it's falling back to VESA or plain VGA.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 12:18 PM   #4
G.S.Link

We were very careful with the test environment. The installation of the Nvidia drivers on Fedora is a rather complex operation and I suspect nobody who would complain has done this installation. I didn't include the six or eight dumps to keep from flooding the thread. What was posted should be enough to allow examination of the problem. I think everyone should remember that the Nouveau drivers exist because of the Nvidia attitude toward Linux.
G.S.Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 12:43 PM   #5
jcornwall

The information you've provided is categorically insufficient to help you with the problem. The link provided earlier explains the steps necessary to provide this information.

We've all been using NVIDIA drivers on DVI connections for years on many different systems with no issues. You can't simply assume that the problem lies with the vendor and not your system configuration.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 02:11 PM   #6
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S.Link View Post
We were very careful with the test environment. The installation of the Nvidia drivers on Fedora is a rather complex operation and I suspect nobody who would complain has done this installation. I didn't include the six or eight dumps to keep from flooding the thread. What was posted should be enough to allow examination of the problem. I think everyone should remember that the Nouveau drivers exist because of the Nvidia attitude toward Linux.
Well you definitely have something wrong with your setup. Many many many fedora users use the blobs without issue on dvi machines. In fact I'm staring at two right now.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 03:57 PM   #7
artem

Cool Re: Nvidia Driver software bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S.Link View Post
I think everyone should remember that the Nouveau drivers exist because of the Nvidia attitude toward Linux.
Nouveau drivers exist because:

1) NVIDIA usually stops supporting very old GPUs because they become irrelevant and raise maintenance costs.
2) NVIDIA drivers installation is still a hassle, because no distro include them by default.
3) NVIDIA drivers only support x86/x64 platforms and only major OSes (Windows MacOS FreeBSD and Sun Solaris).
4) NVIDIA drivers taint the kernel, thus hampering the debugging of some hardware related problems.

There can be something else, but none of the reasons above have anything to do with hardware compatibility or features (however some people argue that the lack of Randr 1.2 support is a problem for them).

At the same time NVIDIA drivers

1) Support OpenGL 4.1 out of the box.
2) Support VDPAU
3) Do power management
4) Just "run" (TM)

Nouveau drivers are still kinda immature, they can crash your X.org server or your PC, they can cause rendering artifacts, etc.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote