Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-11, 10:00 PM   #1
News

Post Minecraft + Bullet Physics = Awesome

Chris Delay at Introversion Software has made a really impressive Minecraft style voxel engine and combined it with a rigid body physics system (Bullet Physics) to produce a completely destructible game environment. As Chris states in the forum post here, he is a huge fan of Minecraft but as an indie game developer he 'wanted to understand how the underlying tech worked, and see if you could go further.' The result is this Mincraft style voxel engine with Bullet Physics that is completely destructible. Hopefully we can see a Minecraft style game or maybe even Minecraft itself implement a physics system like this at it would surely change the way the game is played. Be sure to follow the Introversion Software YouTube Channel and the forum for more updates and check out the video of this in action below.

Physics info from Chris Delay and the introversion Blog:
Once I had the voxel stuff working I did some procedural generation experiments : a building, a large open landscape using a Perlin Noise function, and a pyramid. And then I had the brainwave : once you have chunks, there's nothing stopping you going all the way to rigid body physics. Each chunk gets its own physics mesh which is rebuilt using the same geometry as the vertex array. Then when you remove a block I also spawn a cube at the exact position and orientation, and hand it over to the physics library. (Which is Bullet Physics, for those interested). This totally fools the eye into believing the voxel cube in the world has suddenly taken flight and bounced around the world.

Minecraft + Physics = Awesome:

Related posts:
  1. New Bullet Physics 2.76 SDK Now Available, GPU Acceleration Coming Soon?
  2. Futuremark's 3DMark 2011 Benchmark Features Bullet Physics Based Physics Test
  3. Bullet Physics Deformable Object Test

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote