Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-15-11, 03:10 AM   #1
kwondra34

Default Asus N53JF-XE1 w/ NVidia GeForce GT 425M/Intel Onboard Video -- XServer problems

Hey everyone,

Just got my new Asus N53JF-XE1 from Amazon and I love it, but I decided I wanted to throw Backtrack 4 R2 on it (now based off of Ubuntu 8.10 from what I've heard -- I know it's Ubuntu -- not sure if Backtrack 4 R2 is 8.10 though).

It has a GeForce GT 425M but I cannot get X to load with driver from NVidias website. It installs just fine but when I try to startx it has a few things of interests:

Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0) --I commented this line out to no avail.
No devices detected.

Fatal server error: no screens found
And the usual connection refused. Server error, etc.

I should probably make it clear that this is an Asus with Optimus technology (which I know doesnt work in linux from what I read) -- but the point is, it has two videos card. the NVidia card mentioned and an Intel card. It is suppose to switch between them when needed. I don't mind just using the nvidia card while in linux as it's not my main OS.

I am not stupid with linux, but I am not sharp enough to give you good debugging info off the top, so I am hoping to get some help. Here is what I do know.

Kernel:

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-19-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux bt 2.6.35.8

OS running: 32 bit

See the attached logs.

Lastly, I have tryed installing the driver directly from NVidia earlier this month, version 260.19.44, and the install works fine but cannot startx.

Just a little aside in case you've seen these symptoms before:
When I installed Backtrack 4 R2 I couldnt get x to start BEFORE installing any drivers, until I ran fixvesa and then startx again. Then it worked grand in using "vesa" driver. After installing the latest NVIDIA driver, and not being able to startx with "nvidia" driver -- I cannot go back and run fixvesa and startx -- something seems to be preventing even that after the NVIDIA driver install.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt lspci.txt (11.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (13.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (8.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by kwondra34; 03-15-11 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Some config files might help :)
kwondra34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:15 AM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: Asus N53JF-XE1 w/ NVidia GeForce GT 425M/Intel Onboard Video -- XServer problems

Optimus is not supported on Linux at this time, join the chorus: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144750

can you disable the Intel card in BIOS or force the nVidia one?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:30 PM   #3
kwondra34

Default Re: Asus N53JF-XE1 w/ NVidia GeForce GT 425M/Intel Onboard Video -- XServer problems

Right,

I undesrtand it is not supported. Does this mean that when I try to startx it is failing to go off the nvidia driver because currently the intel chip is active?

I just want to get X up using the nvidia driver preferably OR the intel driver -- i certainly dont need both and I know its not possible and may never be.

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? Thanks regardless!

And It doesnt appear there is any option in BIOS settings, in answer to your question.
Old 03-16-11, 05:50 AM   #4
kwondra34

After reading more, it seems that the INTEL CARD CAN BE USED.

Is this correct? If so, can you help me identify the proper drivers for it? I saw all your helpful comments over time Licaon -- appreciate the time you've spent with others.

Thanks in advanced to anyone.
Old 03-16-11, 08:02 AM   #5
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwondra34 View Post
Is this correct? If so, can you help me identify the proper drivers for it? I saw all your helpful comments over time Licaon -- appreciate the time you've spent with others.
Just use the Intel driver your distro/X detects by default
Old 03-17-11, 05:13 AM   #6
kwondra34

Does this run under "vesa" driver or is there actually another driver, because I cannot startx until I type fixvesa which copies over Xorg.conf-vesa to just xorg.conf.

I am unable to start it if I put driver "intel" -- perhaps you can look at my lspci and other logs provided in the original post and shoot the proper driver my way? I will try later regardless, but I will post if I am successful. If you don't see a post stating that I was successful, you can assume I am not
Old 03-17-11, 07:13 AM   #7
Gusar

Don't use *any* xorg.conf. Just install the intel driver from your distro repository, if it isn't installed already.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 04:40 PM   #8
kwondra34

Wow... I've heard this suggestion but just two years ago when I was playing with multiple distros no one did this... hmm. Well, when I install Backtrack 4 I cannot startx. The only way I can get x up is to run fixvesa which enforces (by copying) a precreated xorg.conf.

I don't think my distro has a package manager that I can easily get intel drivers with, but I am pretty bad at this. can I just apt-get it since its Ubuntu-based?

I havent had time to actually try any of this.. very soon.

Old 03-19-11, 08:19 PM   #9
Licaon

what happens if you start without an actual xorg.conf?-

Can you use a normal distro as well just for testing? like Ubuntu or something ?