Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-17-11, 11:44 PM   #1
technoid

Default LG 23 Inch IPS LED Monitor (IPS236V)

A funny thing happened to me at Best Buy today. I went there to exchange an ASUS VE249H that had terrible backlight consistency, by that I mean the right side was Way Darker than the left side. When I was editing something with a white background the left side had a huge area that was very bright, it looked terrible. So I ask them for store credit and walked back to see what I could find. They had another ASUS on the shelf so I grabbed it but just before I went to pay for it I decided to take a quick look at the other monitors. Of course I've looked at them 50 times so I'm not sure what made me do it but I'm glad I did because they had the new LG 23 inch IPS monitor with LED backlighting. The odd thing about this is they didn't have it on display I just happened to look at the boxes below the shelf and it caught my eye because I noticed the part number was IPS236V. Hey... is that an IPS monitor at Best Buy, no way. But the box said IPS LED right on it in big letters. So I grabbled one and brought it home.

I haven't done much but set it up and take a quick look for dead pixels and start a movie to see if what everyone says about IPS monitors is true, that they have much better color. The movie definitely had better color and looked better than the ASUS TN LED monitor. I did notice the Surface Treatment people complain about on the DELL U2311. But after playing with a bunch of TN monitors I'm willing to give quite a bit to get a better overall monitor experience. I'll come back and add my thoughts on the monitor after I get a chance to play with it a little. But right now I haven't done enough to have any solid feelings. But I did take a couple of pictures for you. OPPs... I Almost forgot. I paid $249.99 for it and it was manufactured January 2011, so it's definitely new.

Here's the specs from the LG webpage.

Screen Size: 23
Panel Type: IPS
Color Gamut: 72%
Color Depth: 16.7M
Pixel pitch: 0.265 * 0.265
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1920x1080
Brightness: 250 cd/m
Contrast Ratio: 5,000,000:1
Response Time: 8ms (GTG)
Viewing Angle: 178/178
Surface Treatment: Anti-Glare 3H

Old 03-18-11, 03:35 AM   #2
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: LG 23 Inch IPS LED Monitor (IPS236V)

Mmmm... IPS LED.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 05:04 AM   #3
technoid

I played Medal of Honor 2010 on the LG IPS236V tonight and didn't like what I seen. I took two pictures to show you what I mean. The first picture was taken during a dark cut scene and you can see quite a bit of coloration on both sides of the monitor. The second picture is a blank screen so you can see what black looks like. In it you can see the same coloration on both sides of the monitor and see the correlation between the two pictures, and why the in-game screen looks the way it does. This doesn't make me happy at all. I suppose this is the infamous IPS Glow. I think these screens look worse than the TN monitor I had before.

Old 03-18-11, 09:09 AM   #4
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Ouch, that is pretty bad. Thankfully I didn't get any of those effects with my LED screens.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 09:53 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

hmm, no issue like that on my IPS, and compared to TN my IPS looks much better.

you sure you didn't get a bad one?
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:03 PM   #6
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
hmm, no issue like that on my IPS, and compared to TN my IPS looks much better.

you sure you didn't get a bad one?
I'd have to say I got a bad one judging solely on what dark scenes look like in games. But if you read the HardForum thread on the DELL U2311 you'll see lots of complaints just like mine. You said your IPS monitor looks much better than a TN and just speaking of Color Quality the monitor I have is much better too. I can clearly see an improvement in Movies. I checked out parts of several movies last night and the Color Quality is clearly better on this IPS monitor, but you can see the Coloration in Dark Scenes in movies too. And the Surface Treatment on the eIPS panels, at least this one and from what I've read the DELL U2311 definitely impacts the clarity of a text screen and is annoying. I'm not sure why they put such a strong coating on it. They must have a reason for it but I'd like to know why. What IPS monitor do you have?

OH... I played some NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 this morning and the color quality in a game is better too. I will say I miss the 24 inch size though, an inch definitely makes a difference.

I'll be honest and say at this point I kinda wish I hadn't seen this monitor and just exchanged the ASUS I had for another one. And I suppose that may be what I do, but I hate having to return it again. I really got use to the larger size of the 24 inch and the text was clearer on it. I read on the HardForum people saying the screen coating is sort of sandy looking and I can see what they mean. There seems to be something visible that's not quite right in text screens.

But I will say this. It sure is nice being able to move my head to both sides of the monitor and not see a color/contrast change. Even while standing it looks pretty good. So there is good parts too. I'd consider the DELL 24 inch IPS but I'm beyond my return for a refund time on the monitor and can only get store credit. The sales guy told me I had 30 days but when I went back to get a refund they said it was 14 days and would only give me store credit. HA... right after that happened I walked to the back to get the monitor and ask the sales guy there and he also said I had 30 days for a refund. I told the guys at the counter they should fix that, but I won't hold my breath. Of course I know I should have read the back of receipt, but I just took the sales guy word for it. I should have know better I suppose.
Old 03-18-11, 07:16 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i wonder if its has to do with LED, mine doesn't have LED, and colors are beyond excellent, no backlight bleed (tons on TNs) and no funky colors.
Old 03-18-11, 10:45 PM   #8
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i wonder if its has to do with LED, mine doesn't have LED, and colors are beyond excellent, no backlight bleed (tons on TNs) and no funky colors.
Wow, you're monitor sounds just like what I'm looking for, any chance you'll send it to me All I want is Good Color, Good Backlight consistency, very little backlight bleed, and no coloration... and you got it.

What kind of monitor is it?

OH... I don't think it has to do with the LED because I've seen the exact same complaints and people posting pictures like I did of the DELL U2311, and it's normal CCFL. I think it's the low cost eIPS panel and fallout grading, someone gets the best panels. Or maybe there's very few good ones. Who knows.

Old 03-18-11, 10:52 PM   #9
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Dell 2209WA also eIPS, but no issues
Old 03-30-11, 10:46 AM   #10
technoid

After trying to live with the problems my first LG IPS236V had, and the fact it developed two dead pixels I took it back and exchanged it for another one. The new one has a very bright area on the bottom left side of the monitor, to the extent it really messes up games or movies with dark scenes. I'll put a picture of it below but the picture doesn't do the bright area justice, it's much brighter in person. I suppose I'll return this one too. I'm sure getting tried of this. I wish there was a monitor I could buy that works without problems. You know, good color, good black level, and minimum backlight bleed. I'd pay a premium price for one.

Old 04-07-11, 11:57 AM   #11
technoid

I took the second LG IPS236V back and got a third one. I didn't want to put up with the bright spot when playing games or watching videos so I pretty much had to try another one. When I got the third one home and tried to connect the DVI cable one of the screws would only go in about a quarter of the way and then stop hard. I've had that happen before so I took it off and tried again, another no go. So I tried once more but no way would it screw in. I almost stopped and took it back but I thought one screw will hold it till I have the time to look at it. It looks a little bit angled so maybe all it needs is to be backed off and then screwed back in. So I thought at least I'd turn the monitor on and see what it looks like. But I tell you quality control isn't what it used to be, that monitor should never have left the factory. But I imagine they use cables without screws to test with so that's probably why they missed it.

So it was finally time to turn the monitor on. I powered it up and low and behold the boot up screen looked better than the other two. In fact right then and there I decided if it had no dead pixels I was going to keep it. But when I checked for dead pixels I seen one. But after using it for a few days I might just bite the bullet and keep it, dead pixel and all. At least the backlight bleed is very good so I can play games and watch videos without a terrible bright area like the other two monitors had. Hey these days it seems broken is the new normal so I'm tried of fighting it. I will say one thing I really miss the 24 inch size, the text is easier for old eyes to see. I think the ideal size for me would be the new HP 25 inch monitor, but it's not an IPS monitor.

So what have I learned from having the LG IPS236V.

1. When sitting in front of the monitor I really like being able to move my head to all four corners and NOT see any color or contrast shift. That really bugged me when I had a TN monitor.

2. The color on the desktop, games, and videos is WAY better than the ASUS LED TN monitor I had before. The difference is most noticeable in videos. Videos on the ASUS LED TN monitor looked washed out when sitting right in front of it. If I watched from the bed the video was okay, but up close it looked terrible. For some reason the ASUS LCD CCFL TN I had the first time looked better than the ASUS LED I got as a replacement.

3. I HATE the strong anti-glare coating the LG IPS236V has. I don't know what they were thinking but they should have thought about it a little longer. BUT... It's either accept the good things I like about it and put up with the coating or return it. But for what? I'd really like to have the HP 25 inch monitor so my old eyes could see the text better, but the TN problem would only be worse with a larger monitor.

So here's the deal for me. I'll probably keep this monitor but I think the state of monitors today is just plain bad. I always bought top of the line monitors but when I read about the top of the line IPS monitors they have problems too. So maybe it's time to cut my losses and keep this monitor.
Old 04-08-11, 10:47 AM   #12
stevemedes
Intel Virgin

Send a message via AIM to stevemedes

Sorry to hear about the backlight bleed problems you had with the first two, that drives me absolutely nuts also. Glad you got a good unit on the third try. It's a characteristic of IPS panels on dark screens if you look at an angle you see a purple glow. But other than that, the color and viewing angles are way superior to TN.

I myself have three NEC 2090UXi's on the FedEx truck out for delivery right now. They're professional level monitors with an A-TW polarizer, which completely eliminates the purple glow on dark screens. Unfortunately, they don't make panels with the polarizer anymore.
stevemedes is offline   Reply With Quote