Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-11, 10:26 AM   #13
technoid

Default Re: LG 23 Inch IPS LED Monitor (IPS236V)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemedes View Post
Sorry to hear about the backlight bleed problems you had with the first two, that drives me absolutely nuts also. Glad you got a good unit on the third try. It's a characteristic of IPS panels on dark screens if you look at an angle you see a purple glow. But other than that, the color and viewing angles are way superior to TN.

I myself have three NEC 2090UXi's on the FedEx truck out for delivery right now. They're professional level monitors with an A-TW polarizer, which completely eliminates the purple glow on dark screens. Unfortunately, they don't make panels with the polarizer anymore.
The backlight bleed was so bad on the first two that playing games or watching movies was painful. The second one had a bright spot on the bottom left corner that really messed up anything with a dark screen. There's almost no backlight bleed on the third one so dark games and movies look uniform. I'll qualify that statement with "as uniform as I've seen on a LCD monitor".

I'll have to check out the monitor you ordered it sounds pretty cool.
Old 04-08-11, 10:45 AM   #14
Q

Don't be too disappointed with this monitor. It's pretty much the cheapest IPS panel you can buy, especially at 23". My 23" NEC's were about $325 a piece and are higher quality. They're not great, by any means, but they're the right price/performance ratio for me. You're looking at $400 before you get to any decent quality.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 11:04 AM   #15
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Don't be too disappointed with this monitor. It's pretty much the cheapest IPS panel you can buy, especially at 23". My 23" NEC's were about $325 a piece and are higher quality. They're not great, by any means, but they're the right price/performance ratio for me. You're looking at $400 before you get to any decent quality.
I guess you're right I ended up only paying $229.99 for it. The first one was $249.99 but when I took it back for store credit I ended up buying another one and it was on sale then. So I suppose I got what I paid for. What I really want is a 24 inch LED IPS without the strong coating and no backlight bleed. That would make the text easier to read for my old eyes and much clearer without the strong coating.

But you're right this monitor is worth the price I paid for it.
Old 04-21-11, 01:36 AM   #16
Yorkfield

Hi people,

I found this thread via google, while I was searching for reviews about the LG IPS236V.
Having ordered the same screen by myself now, I wonder whether that model might be any better than the Samsung PX2370.
Had the PX last week, was all sweet and nice except for one thing, small text appeared blurry to me. I was able to compare it directly to my older TFT Compaq FP1706 and this one was even able to display small text cleaner and sharper.

I thought that was pretty strange and tried everything to fix that.
  • Recalibrating ClearType via Windows 7 didn't help.
  • Readjusting via the website Lagom didn't help.
  • Changing brightness, contrast, gamma, MagicAngle and MagicColor didn't help.
  • Calling Samsung's hotline, a young gentleman advised me to change the DVI cable and to see
    whether a change of MagicBright would make it any better, but nothing worked out.

At the end I brought it back. Now I'm worried that I may be disappointed with the LG as well because you mentioned the strong AG coating. I know, over in hardforum everyone is whining about it. But does it really impact the clearity of small text so much?

You know, for someone who's using his computer mainly for internet and word processing, having clear and sharp text is crucial. If the 23 inch version will not be any better than the PX2370, should I try the 22 inch version IPS226V instead?
Was thinking that a dot pitch of 0.248 (IPS226V) might result in sharper display of text compared to the 0.265 mm (IPS236V).

Even my old TN panel Compaq has pretty decent bleeding on all 4 sides of the screen when the background supposed to be pitch black and it never really bothered me. In this respect I'm easy going, and as this will be my very first IPS panel (S-IPS even), I'm looking forward to see the better viewing angle and vivid colors (the colors of the PX2370 were awesome too btw).

From what I could see in pictures, this little silver wire, shaped like a smile thingy on the bottom right hand side where the on/off sensor button is, like built into the plexi glass frame - what is that supposed to be i wonder?
Only (bad) decoration or is it actually the wire for the blue light? I think it spoils a little the otherwise clean look of the frame.

The other thing I have read about a few times is that the stand looks and feels cheap. Same story with the PX2370. I personally prefer matt plastic over the high glossy surface for obvious reason. I better stop complaining and hope the screen won't disappoint me.

Can't wait
Yorkfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:57 PM   #17
Viral
Registered User of Women

LED backlight is not a good thing in my mind. Look at the colour Gamut, 72%. This would be much better on a CCFL IPS monitor. The Dell U2711 is 102% for example. White LED's just produce unnatural light with no variance in colour spectrum.

Now RGB Backlight is comparable and even better than CCFL for colour contrast, but no one uses it anymore.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 10:48 AM   #18
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkfield View Post
Hi people,

I found this thread via google, while I was searching for reviews about the LG IPS236V.
Having ordered the same screen by myself now, I wonder whether that model might be any better than the Samsung PX2370.
Had the PX last week, was all sweet and nice except for one thing, small text appeared blurry to me. I was able to compare it directly to my older TFT Compaq FP1706 and this one was even able to display small text cleaner and sharper.

I thought that was pretty strange and tried everything to fix that.
  • Recalibrating ClearType via Windows 7 didn't help.
  • Readjusting via the website Lagom didn't help.
  • Changing brightness, contrast, gamma, MagicAngle and MagicColor didn't help.
  • Calling Samsung's hotline, a young gentleman advised me to change the DVI cable and to see
    whether a change of MagicBright would make it any better, but nothing worked out.

At the end I brought it back. Now I'm worried that I may be disappointed with the LG as well because you mentioned the strong AG coating. I know, over in hardforum everyone is whining about it. But does it really impact the clearity of small text so much?

You know, for someone who's using his computer mainly for internet and word processing, having clear and sharp text is crucial. If the 23 inch version will not be any better than the PX2370, should I try the 22 inch version IPS226V instead?
Was thinking that a dot pitch of 0.248 (IPS226V) might result in sharper display of text compared to the 0.265 mm (IPS236V).

Even my old TN panel Compaq has pretty decent bleeding on all 4 sides of the screen when the background supposed to be pitch black and it never really bothered me. In this respect I'm easy going, and as this will be my very first IPS panel (S-IPS even), I'm looking forward to see the better viewing angle and vivid colors (the colors of the PX2370 were awesome too btw).

From what I could see in pictures, this little silver wire, shaped like a smile thingy on the bottom right hand side where the on/off sensor button is, like built into the plexi glass frame - what is that supposed to be i wonder?
Only (bad) decoration or is it actually the wire for the blue light? I think it spoils a little the otherwise clean look of the frame.

The other thing I have read about a few times is that the stand looks and feels cheap. Same story with the PX2370. I personally prefer matt plastic over the high glossy surface for obvious reason. I better stop complaining and hope the screen won't disappoint me.

Can't wait
The little silver wire like area you talked about is where the power led shines, it's a strange deal and I turn it off. The led is in the monitor frame and shines down in the thin wire like area made in the clear plastic at the bottom of the monitor, and yes it messes up the clean lines. I suppose some might think it looks cool but it's dumb to me so I turn the power led OFF in the menu. Stupid me I think turning off the power led should keep it off all the time, but NO, someone at LG thought it should FLASH when the monitor goes into power down mode. SO... it's in my bedroom and when I go to sleep the stupid thing is flashing. I think I may put tape over it or even see if I can open the case and cut the wire to it. I hate the way they do things now days, flashing and glossy. It seems professional is gone. Of course I know my idea of professional might not line up with others

About the text clarity. I think the coating hurts it a lot. Post your thoughts about it when you get yours. I think 23 inch is too small, the 24 inch I had before had better text (larger). Of course with my old eyes larger text is better text. But the coating wasn't bad and the text was larger. But I think the 23 inch has smoother text being a smaller screen with the same resolution. But the physical size of the text on the 24 inch was better for me.

The stand isn't as good as I'd like it to be but I think it's much better than the PX2370. At least it doesn't wobble so much and looks better too. So it's okay, but not great.
Old 04-22-11, 02:05 PM   #19
Yorkfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
The little silver wire like area you talked about [...] I may put tape over it or even see if I can open the case and cut the wire to it.
Well, I don't like messing with new things, but I'll see if I can open the case and remove that misplaced silver thingy.

Quote:
Of course I know my idea of professional might not line up with others
But it does line up with many others and considering the impact of high glossy versus matt or semi-matt casing, I wish they offered both versions and let the customers decide which version to buy.

Quote:
About the text clarity. I think the coating hurts it a lot. Post your thoughts about it when you get yours.
Hmm, sure.
Just remember that when I was looking around for a new monitor, I checked all of them:
  • Samsung
  • BenQ
  • Fujitsu
  • HP / Compaq
  • Acer
  • Philips
  • NEC
  • Asus
  • LG
  • Dell
  • Eizo
  • Liyama
  • Viewsonic

... and apparently only HP offers monitors with glossy shiny screens. They say the picture quality is a little "cleaner". When I was at our local store to see the difference by myself, I was shocked about how the complete overhead lighting was reflected in HP's screens, while the other screen with anti glare coating (on the same shelf) did not reflect anything at all. In that respect HP did not impress me at all.
If a glossy screen displays small text sharper, I might have reconsidered but oh what's that? HP's new IPS monitor ZR22w / ZR24w has no shiny screen anymore.

Quote:
The stand isn't as good as I'd like it to be but I think it's much better than the PX2370.
Yeah, what goes on my nerves the most is the high glossy surface. And I wish they used a heavy metal core for the monitor to stand really firm on the table. Plastic can feel so cheap sometimes.
A little thing can make a big difference for someone like me, and the shape of LG's stand is indeed better designed than Samsung's PX one. Another big advantage of the LG is the VESA standard (75 x 75 mm) at the back. Samsung didn't even bother.
Old 04-28-11, 12:39 PM   #20
Yorkfield

Sorry for being so late.

Review LG IPS236V

Please note that these pictures are not able to reproduce the faithful look of the screen, specially of close ups.

My window is located exactly behind the desk. On this picture I let down the shutter about of the way:

And on this picture daylight is hitting the screen:

Close ups of my screen are rubbish compared to the real look:

Good color display even at skewed viewing angles:

I find this silver thinge close to the power LED ridiculous:!

From my opinion the stand is sufficiently robust.

YouTube videoclips

LG IPS236V (1)

LG IPS236V (2)

Old 04-28-11, 05:34 PM   #21
sillyeagle
sillyego

I've been using this screen for about a week now, and compared to my CRT it's a mixed bag. The blacks are not comparable at all, in fact I was quite disapointed when I first fired up Metro 2033, but as long as I'm not looking at a scene dominated by black it looks exceptions.

The fact I have huge areas of redish light coming from in the corners of the screen doesn't help with the blacks any. I guess thats what you call back light bleed? On something like the Crysis 2 intro screen, the color in the corners overpowers the screen image. The area of color in the bottom left is about the size of my open hand, and the area in the top right about the sizer of my fist. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

I'm not sure I want to consider returning it, becuase I might have the same issue with the next one, and this one doesnt have any dead pixels, so I might end up with the same issue plus dead pixels.

It really hard to beat the CRT I have though. When I enable high contrast mode the blacks are so deep I actually lose a small amount of detail into the blacks, even with full brightness.

Incidentally I bought a new keyboard last week, the Logitech with illuminated keys, and it's a perfect match for the LG IPS panel as they both have the clear plastic border trim. They look really sharp together.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-28-11, 05:48 PM   #22
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I've been using this screen for about a week now, and compared to my CRT it's a mixed bag. The blacks are not comparable at all, in fact I was quite disapointed when I first fired up Metro 2033, but as long as I'm not looking at a scene dominated by black it looks exceptions.

The fact I have huge areas of redish light coming from in the corners of the screen doesn't help with the blacks any. I guess thats what you call back light bleed? On something like the Crysis 2 intro screen, the color in the corners overpowers the screen image. The area of color in the bottom left is about the size of my open hand, and the area in the top right about the sizer of my fist. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.

I'm not sure I want to consider returning it, becuase I might have the same issue with the next one, and this one doesnt have any dead pixels, so I might end up with the same issue plus dead pixels.
Thats usually what happens when you buy a cheap crappy lcd. Really, what do you expect for $250? lol

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1265617565

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mon...u2711-review/1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 12:43 AM   #23
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Thats usually what happens when you buy a cheap crappy lcd. Really, what do you expect for $250? lol

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1265617565

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mon...u2711-review/1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922
Well you knew my from the other thread, where you were telling me LCDs are superior, that my budget was under $300, but you didn't say I would need to exceed that budget in order to have an LCD superior to a CRT.

The issue with blacks is an ok compromise though becuase it's basically superior in evey other way. The only other down side I've noticed is the color hue seems to be a bit greenish in some of the blues, even with the color profile installed. Overall its an impressive screen for what I paid.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-30-11, 06:45 AM   #24
Yorkfield

Source