Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-11, 10:48 AM   #1
Scendore

Default New IL2 Cliffs of Dover Video

Looks like it's getting close to release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcm_5...layer_embedded
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 11:18 AM   #2
Scendore

Default Re: New IL2 Cliffs of Dover Video

Yeah... It's looking pretty good. I hope their sales go well for them because it will only make them develop more content.
Old 03-19-11, 11:07 AM   #3
K007

man i would love for a freespace 2 style game....haven't had a good space sim on pc...since...freespace 2 i think
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:21 PM   #4
JohnDio

Looks great
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:11 PM   #5
Scendore

It's releasing in Russia as I type this but people are starting to post videos. Here is one for the Developer Notes.

Very cool stuff and so far it's looks really great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dizWG...layer_embedded
Old 03-25-11, 08:06 AM   #6
wysiwyg

graphics could look better
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 12:40 PM   #7
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
graphics could look better
yea Wings of Prey def has better graphics
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 09:00 AM   #8
StevePMo

Send a message via Yahoo to StevePMo

This looks really cool. To all of you flight sim junkies out there, what type of controller do you need, just a joystick? or do you need more than that? I only have my wheel for my driving sims, but would like to get into flight sims too...
PC Power And Cooling 610 Watt Silencer PSU
8 Gigs G Skill DDR2 1066
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-11, 01:30 PM   #9
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
yea Wings of Prey def has better graphics
Well Graphics is pretty subjective... I think off the cuff you might think you're right on this one but Wings of Prey doesn't have a damage model that supports 300 systems in a single plane. In addition it doesn't sport the higher fidelity FM and a very large map that goes from grass in England to the coast of France. Getting things to scale properly in a flight sim versus and action sim albeit a good one is not comparing apples with apples. Two different goals.

The Russian version has been released and it's fair to say it has a little more time to cook. I think a patch is already in development. The US release isn't for another few weeks so I hope it's enough time to get it ready for release. I've seen some recent high res shots and it's looking pretty fantastic and I think it will scale with time. We will see.
Old 04-02-11, 04:01 AM   #10
HiCZoK4

Looks like Il2-Sturmovik. My fav sim game
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 12:11 PM   #11
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
So, how is it?
Well... Not so good at the moment though there is some light at the end of the tunnel. The game was released in Russia and last week in the EU. Early buyers have reported there are many bugs in the game. In addition even top end rigs are having a very hard time running the game without studders and pauses. The good news is they have released 2 new patches that have fixed problems but performance is something they are going to have to work on.

Luthier posted a roadmap that talks about what they are doing to improve performance. Given some of the testing by people it's clear the product was rushed to market. I suspect the publishers pushed for the release. The official US release is the 19th of April. This will give them some time to tighen things up and fix some of the problems. What is interesting is that some of the features of the game are being touted very highly despite the obvious issues. It looks like the game engine and features has a lot to offer but unless they get things fixed people won't pick it up.

Just following the DCS beta release of A10 we saw that thing go from pretty crummy performance to running quite well with full switch. So it's pretty clear this can happen with IL2 COD as well. After all it's a brand new engine from scratch. Let them earn their keep.

Until then the new UltraPack 2.02 is on the horizon breathing even more life into the latest official release of IL2 4.101.

Luthier's post below.

Hi everyone. Iím very sorry to see that some of you are having technical difficulties with the game. It pains me personally to see that these problems are preventing you from enjoying everything the game has to offer.

The team has been working at a frantic pace since mid-summer. I personally have been working 12+ hour days 7 days a week pretty much non-stop, with only a short breather around Christmas. Optimization has always been our top priority; for example, the game you are playing now is roughly twice as fast as the version shown at Igromir.

We are continuing to work at the same pace now, after the release Ė no weekends in sight. We are working very hard to make the game better, and we hope that even those of you who are unhappy with the state of the game are still able to see that it is worth the wait, and that you have faith in our ability to improve on your experience.

Hereís what we are working on at the moment:

1. Performance increase. Over terrain, the two things that slow things down the most are trees and buildings. We are currently in final stages of testing optimized buildings that almost double the FPS over London on a test machine.
Tree optimization is a little farther away. You will probably see changes in how trees are rendered, theyíll take longer to appear over terrain, but once again, performance increase should be significant.
If everything tests correctly over the weekend, both of these should be released by early to mid next week.

2. Enhanced multicore support. The mode that we unfortunately were not able to finish in time is sending all render to a dedicated CPU core. The mode is working but somewhat buggy. It easily doubles the FPS, and the performance boost is especially noticeable in larger missions with lots of stuff going on.
This is probably at least two to three weeks away, and we will probably do a short public beta of this major change before itís made live to everyone.

3. Multiplayer. There is something in steam filters that prevents game servers from being found. This is only happening with live retail versions of the game. This apparently isnít caused by us Ė hopefully itís just a simple oversight somewhere and the fix will be a simple flick of a switch.

4. FM and ballistics. We have already addressed the issue where rounds appeared to leave aircraft sideways. This was caused by the difference between physical and rendered position of the aircraft, i.e. the rendered position lagged behind the actual aircraft position.
Our aircraft programmer has a huge bucket list of things to check, which heís going over at a rather brisk pace.

5. Resurrecting SLI support. This is our next biggest priority; itís done by the same programmer now in final stages of optimizing buildings. We are really hoping this will be a quick task, but I donít have an ETA at this point. Itíll either be a couple of days, or a much longer undetermined amount of time if we have to submit versions to card manufacturers and ask for their input.

6. Bug fixes and support. We are reading this forum a lot and some Russian-language forums, and working very hard to address all issues as they are being reported.

7. New stuff Ė larger online maps, some new aircraft such as the 109E1 and E4 etc Ė are all in the pipeline too, but obviously we need to solve the bigger issues first and then deal with the freebies.

Thank you all for your continuing support! Just FYI, Iím constantly doing 20 things at once, so if I donít respond to your question it doesnít mean I didnít read it! Iíd love to spend more time on the forums talking to the community and answering questions, but unfortunately I just cannot do it as much as I should at the moment. Please bear with us, we do really want to make all of you very happy!
Old 04-07-11, 11:30 AM   #12
Scendore

Yeah... Just wait. They released a Beta patch today with some postive results but it still looks like they have a ways to go. Another week or two isn't going to hurt.

DCS A10 just released yet another patch. Of course it has a pretty heafty learning curve but nothing impossible. I'm having fun going through the manual and learning the systems. The plane is pretty easy to fly learning the avionics and weapons is a hoot.