Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-11, 06:41 PM   #1
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Arrow recommend me a laptop

Let's see what you gents say because trying to find exactly what I want is driving me bat-sh*t crazy.

My requirements are pretty simple.

-Prefer a core i gen proc
-< $900
-dedicated gfx. Open to either camp if it will actually play a game at medium or higher settings.
-prefer 15" or higher display
-is 1366x768 even worth having?? I can't imagine is looking ok.
-2 or 4 Gb ram ok, can add more later.
-Hdd really doesn't matter as it will be replaced with an SSD within 6 months

Open to suggestions on brands too. My company offers discounts on Mac and Dell, so I may take advantage of one of those too.

Help an old hairball out guys..

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:15 AM   #2
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Let's see what you gents say because trying to find exactly what I want is driving me bat-sh*t crazy.

My requirements are pretty simple.

-Prefer a core i gen proc
-< $900
-dedicated gfx. Open to either camp if it will actually play a game at medium or higher settings.
-prefer 15" or higher display
-is 1366x768 even worth having?? I can't imagine is looking ok.
-2 or 4 Gb ram ok, can add more later.
-Hdd really doesn't matter as it will be replaced with an SSD within 6 months

Open to suggestions on brands too. My company offers discounts on Mac and Dell, so I may take advantage of one of those too.

Help an old hairball out guys..

Thanks
Hmm... under $900 with a decent dedicated graphics card... that will be the tricky part but likely doable. I'll hunt around for ya' and see what I can find.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:21 AM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Not remotely possible...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:31 AM   #4
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Let's see what you gents say because trying to find exactly what I want is driving me bat-sh*t crazy.

My requirements are pretty simple.

-Prefer a core i gen proc
-< $900
-dedicated gfx. Open to either camp if it will actually play a game at medium or higher settings.
-prefer 15" or higher display
-is 1366x768 even worth having?? I can't imagine is looking ok.
-2 or 4 Gb ram ok, can add more later.
-Hdd really doesn't matter as it will be replaced with an SSD within 6 months

Open to suggestions on brands too. My company offers discounts on Mac and Dell, so I may take advantage of one of those too.

Help an old hairball out guys..

Thanks
Took a quick browse on Newegg's selection and came up with these- rather decent list imo. Granted, at best you'll get a middle-of-the-road dedicated GPU... nothing highend, but they'll play most games none the less, a lot of the newer more taxing titles at lowest settings but should still be playable. Anywho- here's what I was able to dig up:

TOSHIBA Satellite L655-S5165

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
*Screen 15.6"
*Memory Size 4GB DDR3
*Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
*Video Memory 1GB DDR3

I won't bother listing the rest of the specs. Has a 500GB HDD but you said you'd be throwing an SSD in 6 months down the road, says you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Not a bad little unit all in all. Comes in at a doable $769.99

ASUS K52 Series K52JC-XN1

*CPU Type Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz)
*Screen 15.6"
*Memory Size 4GB DDR3
*Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 310M + Intel HD
*Video Memory 1GB DDR3 VRAM

This one also comes with a 500GB HDD and can be upgraded to 8GB RAM. This one utilizes a hybrid GPU setup. For anything demanding the GeForce 310M is utilized, when just doing basic stuff (like browsing the web, working in Word, Excel, etc) the Intel HD is utilized to maximize battery life. Since I'm wagering this is gonna' be a work laptop first this might be a good unit for you. You could still game on it while also be able to do your work on the go with decent battery life. Comes in at a doable $799.99.

lenovo IdeaPad Y560

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-480M (2.66GHz)
*Screen 15.6"
*Memory Size 6GB DDR3
*Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
*Video Memory 1GB

This guys sports a 500GB HDD and can be upgraded to 8GB of RAM as well. Since you mention gaming this one is obviously one of the more capable candidates. Comes in at an easy $819.99

***You can get a variant of this same laptop, only with a 32GB SSD for $849.99***

DELL Inspiron 15R

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-460M (2.53GHz)
*Screen 15.6"
*Memory Size 6GB DDR3
*Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v
*Video Memory 1GB

I'm not too certain on the GPU for this one... might be a professional series card and thus not that great for gaming. Unit does pack a 640GB HDD and can also be upgraded to 8GB. Weights in at $849.99

***You mentioned you can get discounts on Dell's through your work... not sure how that'll work but that might lower the price on this unit. ***

ASUS K52 Series K52JT-A1

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-460M (2.53GHz)
*Screen 15.6"
*Memory Size 4GB DDR3
*Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6370M
*Video Memory 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Possibly the best out of the bunch for gaming. Not 100% certain, but that GPU would probably compare to the 5750 on a desktop unit. Give or take a little... I'd research that first and not just take my word on it though. Ram is upgradeable to 8GB. Unit asks for $859.99

ASUS K72 Series K72JR-XN1

*CPU Type Intel Core i5 460M (2.53GHz)
*Screen 17.3"
*Memory Size 4GB DDR3
*Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
*Video Memory 1GB DDR3 VRAM

I know you seemed a bit hesitant regarding the 15" screens, so this one might be easier. Just realize that the larger the "laptop", the less portable it becomes. I'd go to Costco, BestBuy, Staples, RadioShack and compare some 15" and 17" units, get a better feel for what you *really* want size wise. If you are gonna' have to pack this around for work, you might regret having the larger, heavier 17" screen. Or it may not bother you. I'd still go have a look at some to determine for your self what you really want.

Comes with a 500GB HDD and is upgradeable to 8GB of RAM. Requests $874.99.

SONY VAIO EB Series VPCEB4FFX/BJ

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
*Screen 15.5"
*Memory Size 4GB DDR3
*Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
*Video Memory 1GB

Considering it's asking price and specs, hard to really recommend this one. Also, I've got a bias against Sony... worked on too many of their units that are just unexplainably slow- slow to POST, slow to load windows... even clean units after a fresh OS install. Only has a 320GB HDD and RAM can be upgraded to 8GB. Going for $879.99.

MSI FX700-056US

*CPU Type Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
*Screen 17.3"
*Memory Size 6GB DDR3
*Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M
*Video Memory 1GB GDDR3 VRAM

All in all, for the price this seems to be one of the most well-rounded units. Has the larger screen, 6GB of RAM, 640GB HDD, and I'd imagine that GPU compares to the original 192 stream processor GTX260... though I'd do more research and not just take my word for it. Free shipping and only $879.99.

Hope this helps. Gets you started at least.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:19 AM   #5
Roliath
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

out of all the ones listed above, i'd get the lenovo
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 04:43 AM   #6
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

LoL, Redeemed - you spent some time writing that up...thanks.

Yeah, the gaming is strictly because I know without a doubt that I'm going to want to scratch that itch from time to time. It's going to be a busy year, possibly traveling etc etc.

On the $900 - not sure if that's gonna stick
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 05:07 AM   #7
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Check the discounts on the MacBook Pros first Those are already pretty cheap in the US so with a discount you should get a 15" for around $1300.
The 2011 doesn't provide the perfect combination of mobility and performance anymore but they're a lot faster than previous generations and can replace a desktop system for most work related tasks. So it's a good trade-off.

Also the new AMD GPUs are very powerful for gaming.

Don't settle for anything less.
I'll be looking at those too. I actually have 2 decent discounts I can make use of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 11:52 AM   #8
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
LoL, Redeemed - you spent some time writing that up...thanks.

Yeah, the gaming is strictly because I know without a doubt that I'm going to want to scratch that itch from time to time. It's going to be a busy year, possibly traveling etc etc.

On the $900 - not sure if that's gonna stick


NP buddy. As to the $900 if you spend more you can get more. Just depends what you're after.

Like I said, I'd go into a store (if you haven't already) and compare the 15" to the 17" and see what you *really* want. Then try reading some reviews on the mobile GPUs to get an idea how they perform in gaming. The GPUs might be slower than their desktop counterparts, but you're also using a much lower resolution so that eases the stress quite a bit.

As to going with a Mac... not a bad idea from the productivity point of view. Guaranteed out the door you're spending a fair amount more than $900 but it sounds like you're not entirely opposed to that either. Also, for gaming you'll be limited to Steam games. Or, maybe if you can run windows in BootCamp you could also run games that aren't steam based? Not sure how well that'd work.

It's funny how when you stop and think about it there is a ton of decisions to make regarding buying a laptop... almost as bad as buying a car!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-11, 12:01 PM   #9
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post


NP buddy. As to the $900 if you spend more you can get more. Just depends what you're after.

Like I said, I'd go into a store (if you haven't already) and compare the 15" to the 17" and see what you *really* want. Then try reading some reviews on the mobile GPUs to get an idea how they perform in gaming. The GPUs might be slower than their desktop counterparts, but you're also using a much lower resolution so that eases the stress quite a bit.

As to going with a Mac... not a bad idea from the productivity point of view. Guaranteed out the door you're spending a fair amount more than $900 but it sounds like you're not entirely opposed to that either. Also, for gaming you'll be limited to Steam games. Or, maybe if you can run windows in BootCamp you could also run games that aren't steam based? Not sure how well that'd work.

It's funny how when you stop and think about it there is a ton of decisions to make regarding buying a laptop... almost as bad as buying a car!
WORSE!!!

Well,Mac is out. Work apps not compatible and if I get a mac I'm using OSX, not windoze...which I need.

Found this Acer though, looks sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115987

i5 and a GT540m for under $700....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:22 PM   #10
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

right here. hp dv6 or dv7

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-pav...dv6/28865.aspx

2nd generation Intel Dual Corei7-2620M (2.7GHz, 4MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz 1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
6gb ram
USB 3.0
New Beats Audio and cooling system

This deal: $1,149.99 - $250 coupon code= $899.99 depending on graphics, or can save $100-200 depending on cpu

or the 17.3" with 750gb hd, blu ray, etc for $925
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:23 PM   #11
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
WORSE!!!

Well,Mac is out. Work apps not compatible and if I get a mac I'm using OSX, not windoze...which I need.

Found this Acer though, looks sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115987

i5 and a GT540m for under $700....
Nice find!

If I may make the suggestion... you likely already know this and are likely going to do it anyways... just throwing it out there "in-case".

I cannot express how much bloatware the manufacturer's put on these units. If you can, I'd put your own copy of 7 on that little guy. Do a completely fresh install, delete all the partitions and repartition into one larger partition, format, and install. It really makes the unit so much faster not having all that junk the manufacturer puts on the unit.

I did this with my best friend's laptop he bought for his wife a few years ago. It came with Vista and their only complaint about the unit is that it just seemed slow from the day they purchased it. Well, I wiped their HDD, put Win7 Pro on it and the unit is actually almost as fast as some of the $500 laptops you could buy today in basic day-to-day tasks. All they have on it is Win7 Pro, MSE, and Office 2010. Nothing else to bog it down and the little unit screams for what it is. I did add an extra Gig of RAM (took em from 2GB to 3GB) which certainly helped but this was a few months after I installed 7 for 'em.

I dunno if you have a spare copy of 7 laying around or not but if you do... do a fresh install... you'll love yourself for doing so. This goes for any laptop- not just Acers.

Man, you're making me want to get my lil' HP fixed. Probably put me back about $300 - $400 but it's still faster than any laptop in that price range. Hmm... you might have just cost me several hundred dollars grey!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:26 PM   #12
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
right here. hp dv6 or dv7

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-pav...dv6/28865.aspx

2nd generation Intel Dual Corei7-2620M (2.7GHz, 4MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz 1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
USB 3.0
New Beats Audio and cooling system

This deal: $1,149.99 - $250 coupon code= $899.99

or the 17.3" with 750gb hd, blu ray, etc for $925
That's not bad. Infact, I'd say it's really freaking good.

I'd take advantage of that free upgrade to 6GB as well as the NIS, and go for the 50% on the 9-cell battery. Once you slap that SSD in there not only will this unit be rediculously fast you'll likely get a good 4 hours of solid use out of the bad boy... maybe longer.

Nice find Mojoman!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.