Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-11, 12:32 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: recommend me a laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
right here. hp dv6 or dv7

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-pav...dv6/28865.aspx

2nd generation Intel Dual Corei7-2620M (2.7GHz, 4MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz 1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
6gb ram
USB 3.0
New Beats Audio and cooling system

This deal: $1,149.99 - $250 coupon code= $899.99 depending on graphics, or can save $100-200 depending on cpu

or the 17.3" with 750gb hd, blu ray, etc for $925
Oh wow, that looks nice. Ok, got some reading to do here, thanks!

@Redeemed - yeah, the win7 reinstall is a given. Technet ftw.
Old 03-20-11, 12:44 PM   #14
mojoman0

yea my friend just got the dv7 with a 17.3" screen

i7 2620 2nd gen sandy bridge
6gb ram
750gb hd
1gb radeon 6770m
New Beats Audio 4 speaker system
New cooling system
Blu Ray Player
USB 3.0

all for $925
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:49 PM   #15
grey_1

I'm torn on the size - I want the 17.3", but this will be also used in my work truck, kind of cramped with my other equipment...this decision is killing me lol. I have to say I never considered the HPs because of the cost, but this coupon makes all the difference.
Old 03-20-11, 12:53 PM   #16
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
yea my friend just got the dv7 with a 17.3" screen

i7 2620 2nd gen sandy bridge
6gb ram
750gb hd
1gb radeon 6770m
New Beats Audio 4 speaker system
New cooling system
Blu Ray Player
USB 3.0

all for $925
That's a really good deal!

The only thing I would look at is the battery. If you're going to do any gaming on it IMO a 9 cell battery is a must. A 6 cell battery and you'll be lucky to get 1.5 hours of battery life out of a full charge while gaming.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:58 PM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
That's a really good deal!

The only thing I would look at is the battery. If you're going to do any gaming on it IMO a 9 cell battery is a must. A 6 cell battery and you'll be lucky to get 1.5 hours of battery life out of a full charge while gaming.
I have one of these, different model though.

Old 03-20-11, 01:03 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Oh wow, that looks nice. Ok, got some reading to do here, thanks!

@Redeemed - yeah, the win7 reinstall is a given. Technet ftw.
You got technet- awesome! Yeah, I've got to renew my subscription by the first part of next month... I enjoy it but not sure if I want to be out $250 right now for it.

As to that laptop, maybe it's obvious but I'd probably suggest you go for the smaller 15". This isn't going to be your primary gaming rig for one, from the sound of things it's going to be a work computer first, and it sounds like you'll need something portable. 17" laptops aren't only larger and bulkier, they're heavier as well. Larger screen requires more power which equates to shorter battery life. You do have the inverter but do you really want to have the laptop plugged in, that's a lot of cables in what sounds like a truck that's already short on space.

Just giving you some ideas to ponder is all. That HP is a very good deal, it's going to be hard to top that.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:24 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
You got technet- awesome! Yeah, I've got to renew my subscription by the first part of next month... I enjoy it but not sure if I want to be out $250 right now for it.

As to that laptop, maybe it's obvious but I'd probably suggest you go for the smaller 15". This isn't going to be your primary gaming rig for one, from the sound of things it's going to be a work computer first, and it sounds like you'll need something portable. 17" laptops aren't only larger and bulkier, they're heavier as well. Larger screen requires more power which equates to shorter battery life. You do have the inverter but do you really want to have the laptop plugged in, that's a lot of cables in what sounds like a truck that's already short on space.

Just giving you some ideas to ponder is all. That HP is a very good deal, it's going to be hard to top that.
It's actually going to be my primary personal pc. You'll laugh at this (I do ) but my work lappy starts choking with over 75 processes running on it. My 2 web based sites use only an NT login and a few apps that need VPN I can use logmein...

With those out of the way my work lappy (may it please please die) can handle the rest of the load....

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!.....it sure would be nice to fire up L4D or DS2 for lunch ...
Old 03-20-11, 03:21 PM   #20
Redeemed

Quote:
It's actually going to be my primary personal pc. You'll laugh at this (I do ) but my work lappy starts choking with over 75 processes running on it. My 2 web based sites use only an NT login and a few apps that need VPN I can use logmein...

With those out of the way my work lappy (may it please please die) can handle the rest of the load....

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!.....it sure would be nice to fire up L4D or DS2 for lunch ...
I do apologize, but I'm a bit confused... are you going to get rid of your desktop and just use this laptop? If so, there is no possible way a $900 laptop will ever compete with your current desktop, *especially* in gaming. At least double your current budget and likely you'd find a comparable replacement for that desktop of yours.

If you're not getting rid of your desktop, then would I be wrong to assume the desktop will remain your primary gaming rig? If I'm not wrong in assuming that, what do you mean by the laptop being your primary personal pc?

Sorry... bit confused buddy.

Old 03-20-11, 05:07 PM   #21
grey_1

Quote:
I do apologize, but I'm a bit confused... are you going to get rid of your desktop and just use this laptop? If so, there is no possible way a $900 laptop will ever compete with your current desktop, *especially* in gaming. At least double your current budget and likely you'd find a comparable replacement for that desktop of yours.

If you're not getting rid of your desktop, then would I be wrong to assume the desktop will remain your primary gaming rig? If I'm not wrong in assuming that, what do you mean by the laptop being your primary personal pc?

Sorry... bit confused buddy.
What's to be confused about? You think too much. I'm not looking for a full on desk top replacement. As I stated in the OP medium settings are just fine with me.

I've pretty much decided on what I want. After that's bought and set up my desk top will either go on craigslist as a system or be parted out here.
Old 03-20-11, 05:23 PM   #22
mojoman0

that hp should run any source game flawlessly as well as other prettier games like bc2 at medium or so, maybe high with that cpu
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:05 PM   #23
Redeemed

Quote:
What's to be confused about? You think too much. I'm not looking for a full on desk top replacement. As I stated in the OP medium settings are just fine with me.

I've pretty much decided on what I want. After that's bought and set up my desk top will either go on craigslist as a system or be parted out here.
I'd rather be accused of thinking too much, than too little.

So you are getting rid of your desktop then. You aren't looking for the laptop to replace the desktop in terms of performance, but it will physically replace the unit... amirite?

Honestly, with that said then... if you can squeeze it... maybe try and budget for $1200 then. That'll give you a vastly faster mobile GPU, as well as more RAM and a faster CPU. Remember, everything in the mobile world will be less than the desktop counter parts. A GTX480M is considerably slower than a GTX480 in a desktop. A top end Core i7 proc in a laptop is going to be considerably slower than a top end Core i7 in a desktop.

I'd shoot for around $1200 total (tax, shipping, all that jazz). Maybe an entry level mobile i7, with a mobile HD6k series or GTX4xxm series, and 6GB of RAM. Once you throw that SSD in there for basic day to day tasks it'll likely feel every bit as snappy as your desktop does right now. Only place you'll notice it being slower is gaming... but even then at the lower resolution it should still be plenty fast enough.

Then again, that HP mojoman linked to is pretty frikking awesome. Sounds like you're going to be doing a bit less gaming if I understand you right... so maybe you should have a little less imphasis on the GPU. That HP mojo linked my be about the perfect configuration for what you're after. With an SSD that unit should scream.
Old 03-20-11, 07:20 PM   #24
grey_1

Quote:
I'd rather be accused of thinking too much, than too little.

So you are getting rid of your desktop then. You aren't looking for the laptop to replace the desktop in terms of performance, but it will physically replace the unit... amirite?

Honestly, with that said then... if you can squeeze it... maybe try and budget for $1200 then. That'll give you a vastly faster mobile GPU, as well as more RAM and a faster CPU. Remember, everything in the mobile world will be less than the desktop counter parts. A GTX480M is considerably slower than a GTX480 in a desktop. A top end Core i7 proc in a laptop is going to be considerably slower than a top end Core i7 in a desktop.

I'd shoot for around $1200 total (tax, shipping, all that jazz). Maybe an entry level mobile i7, with a mobile HD6k series or GTX4xxm series, and 6GB of RAM. Once you throw that SSD in there for basic day to day tasks it'll likely feel every bit as snappy as your desktop does right now. Only place you'll notice it being slower is gaming... but even then at the lower resolution it should still be plenty fast enough.

Then again, that HP mojoman linked to is pretty frikking awesome. Sounds like you're going to be doing a bit less gaming if I understand you right... so maybe you should have a little less imphasis on the GPU. That HP mojo linked my be about the perfect configuration for what you're after. With an SSD that unit should scream.
Why you trying to spend my money for me? See that extra $300 you tacked on to my budget? That's my first hot weekend with the wife away this spring time....

I do appreciate the extra input, seriously. But this laptop is a replacement only as far as I need web access and play occasionally. No super powerhouse required as gaming will only be an occasional indulgence, not a regular pass time.

Leaning towards the HP for sure, but Acer has a 17" model that also has an extra 2.5" bay in addition to the 640Gb hdd it ships with. I like that for SSD boot drive use.

This finding everything I want for an acceptable price is mind numbing. I'm beginning to see why some folks take a month to choose a decent laptop.