Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-11, 07:37 PM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: recommend me a laptop

All I gotta say is DO NOT go with Toshiba. My wife and sister in law have them and they are a pain in the arse to upgrade software on. For example, both came with Vista and I tried to upgrade to Win7. However, the drivers for Win7 were not available and the Vista drivers caused some really weird lock ups, freezes and odd issues. Not too uncommon for a Windows machine . . . . . . . I kid, I kid . . . OR AM I?

Anywho, I recommend Dell, MSI and ASUS. Just my two cents.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:55 PM   #26
grey_1

I've also had others recommend I stay away from Toshiba. The others...have to do more reading on them. Thanks.
Old 03-21-11, 12:14 AM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Why you trying to spend my money for me? See that extra $300 you tacked on to my budget? That's my first hot weekend with the wife away this spring time....

I do appreciate the extra input, seriously. But this laptop is a replacement only as far as I need web access and play occasionally. No super powerhouse required as gaming will only be an occasional indulgence, not a regular pass time.

Leaning towards the HP for sure, but Acer has a 17" model that also has an extra 2.5" bay in addition to the 640Gb hdd it ships with. I like that for SSD boot drive use.

This finding everything I want for an acceptable price is mind numbing. I'm beginning to see why some folks take a month to choose a decent laptop.
Geeze, just figured if it's good enough for teh gubment to spend yo' moneez it's good enough for me to spend yo' moneez.

Nah, wasn't trying to spend nothin' for ya'- just wasn't certain where you were going with this laptop purchase... didn't understand you're end-goal I suppose. Hadn't figured you were letting up so drastically on gaming is all. Trying to make suggestions that'd offer you a good blend of performance and functionality, wasn't trying to spend nothin' for ya'... that's yer' wife's job.

Anyhow... if you settle for a rig along the lines of that HP I'm quite certain you'll be pleased... especially once that SSD is installed.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 12:38 PM   #28
mojoman0

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/coupon...top/15717.aspx
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 05:13 PM   #29
grey_1

Checking out one of these tomorrow.

http://www.bjs.com/hp-pavilion-156-d...product.187687

$649 with instant saving at the register. and this just about exactly meets my requirements. Only thing that will change is the hdd. I'll be grabbing a decent SSD before too long.

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for pointing me towards HP mojoman0. Liking what I see.
Old 03-30-11, 05:50 PM   #30
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

My roommate found a decent ASUS gaming laptop, refurbed from newegg for like $500 with a GTX 260. Definitely worth considering if you see one for sale
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:04 PM   #31
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
My roommate found a decent ASUS gaming laptop, refurbed from newegg for like $500 with a GTX 260. Definitely worth considering if you see one for sale
I saw those and read a good deal of the feedback. Asus stuffing the wrong power adapter in the box seems to be a very, very common issue + they make the buyer pay for shipping, at least according to several (many) feedbacks.

There was juuust enough to make me shy away from them - which was hard because the specs and price looked really good.
Old 03-31-11, 12:17 AM   #32
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I saw those and read a good deal of the feedback. Asus stuffing the wrong power adapter in the box seems to be a very, very common issue + they make the buyer pay for shipping, at least according to several (many) feedbacks.

There was juuust enough to make me shy away from them - which was hard because the specs and price looked really good.
Yeh, admittedly there is a downside to going that route. He actually had a busted line-out that he had to re-solder to get it working right. Other than that it's been great for him and I do have to admit, I'm fairly jealous that he can play games on it when I whip my netbook out and can't hardly play a flash game
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-11, 12:16 PM   #33
mojoman0

if you get an hp id make sure the get the new redesign that came out like 2 weeks ago. Its black, not the silver one in that link.

This one:

Old 03-31-11, 03:08 PM   #34
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
if you get an hp id make sure the get the new redesign that came out like 2 weeks ago. Its black, not the silver one in that link.

This one:

That looks awesome, but the thing that's really beginning to sour me on the whole laptop idea is the screen rez. Seems like asking for anything over 1366x768 is the point the price becomes unacceptable. I'd love a 1920x1080, but factoring in the i7 (or i5 depending on model) with a dedicated gfx card sky rockets the price.

I'm beginning to think I went into this with some really unrealistic expectations.
Old 04-01-11, 12:56 PM   #35
mojoman0

yea maybe, but think of having a 1920x1080 screen on a laptop. everything would be squished tiny on a 15-17 inch screen, and gaming at that rez wouldnt give very good performance on a laptop gpu
Old 04-01-11, 01:39 PM   #36
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
yea maybe, but think of having a 1920x1080 screen on a laptop. everything would be squished tiny on a 15-17 inch screen, and gaming at that rez wouldnt give very good performance on a laptop gpu
I think you're right. I've seen some awfully nice looking screens over the past 2 days at 1366x768. Just curious, is that what you use? Hows IQ?

I'll probably buy over the next week - this is hard! So much/many options to choose from...

Really do appreciate all the input you're giving btw. Thanks.