Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-11, 11:12 PM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default OCZ Vertex 3

Thinking about getting the OCZ Vertex 3 (128GB):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4186/o...focused-sf2200

Never owned a SSD, not sure if I'm up to taking the plunge, can someone convince me....

Some of my conerns are:
1. Problems multitasking, I heard they don't perform well multitasking but that was awhile ago
2, Reliability, what is the expected life span of this, or something similar?
3. I've only got a Sata1 mobo, is it a waste? I'll probably get a Sata 3 mobo by the end of the year... right now I've got a Velociraptor, will I see a noticeable improvement? According to this it should be huge, if I had sata 3:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4186/o...cused-sf2200/3

4. Any installation issues or things I should be aware of?

This would be used as my main boot and gaming drive, I ghost my "c drive" to other drives and keep it ghosting it back every few months to keep it uncluttered and fast... this should hold 10 or so games at a time I figure...

Thanks... oh and what is trim exactly anyways...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:52 AM   #2
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Default Re: OCZ Vertex 3

1. thats a mechanical hd issue, not an ssd issue
2. i've written 12tb to my x25m ssd in a year, lifespan went down to 98%
3. yes its a waste, get a sata 3 expansion card
4. just enable ahci in the bios or in the expansion card if it has that option
Old 03-20-11, 11:51 AM   #3
Bman212121

Here are my answers to those questions

1. The Jmicron controller had issues when SSDs first came about. Most drives to not use that controller anymore. Vertex 3 uses sandforce which is arguably the best controller on the market.

2. Reliability is still TBD, but chances are good that these drives will last 5+ years. Since they have no moving parts they are not going to have a mechanical failure.

3. If you only have a sata1 150mbps controller then you have a very old board... Guessing that the rest of the system will hold the drive back as much as the controller will. Once you upgrade to the new board then you'll be able to use it at full potential. The main difference between one of these and a velociraptor is an SSD has very low latency. Any time you compare numbers for non sequential tasks a mechanical hard drive won't even come close. Even sata 1 will be enough in those scenarios because the speed goes down considerably. Just like the link you provided under a normal workload the Vertex 3 was showing around 160MBps were the velociraptor can only run 1.9MBps. There will be a slight hit but the drive is still going to be 70x faster. You should notice a difference in most cases with an SSD.

4. If you're using Vista or lower you need to disable readyboost, prefetch, and disk defragmentation. Vista schedules defrags by default and this is actually bad for an SSD because it won't make it faster and will just waste write cycles. Also, if you intend to ghost the drive you'll run into another issue with partition alignment.

All windows installations prior to Vista or Server 2008 would start a partition at sector 63. SSDs use 2Nth power for their memory chips so what will happen is logical cluster or block of data will be spread across two physical blocks of memory. So anytime you make a read or write request your SSD will need to process two chunks of memory instead of one. This slows down the drive and can waste write cycles. If you format the drive fresh with Vista or higher windows now aligns the paritions to 1024 so it divides evenly and your drive will only need 1 read / write cycle. AFAIK only one program respects the new way to align partitions. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

TRIM is a command that can be issued to cause the drive to do garbage collection. What happens when a chunk of memory is used is that it gets written to and then that would be marked in the MFT table. When you delete the data that is stored on that chunk of memory all windows does is remove the MFT entry and the data is still held on the drive. Windows does not know exactly which chunks of memory are still in use and which ones can be removed. When TRIM is run it cleans out all of the blocks that can be wiped so they can be written to immediately. Why it is important is because some blocks can have data from more than file in them so when the drive needs to use that block it first needs to copy the good data from that block, wipe the entire block, then it will copy the old data back onto the block along with the new data. This takes significantly more time than just being able to copy data onto a block.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:57 PM   #4
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Thanks Bman212121.
Old 03-20-11, 02:32 PM   #5
mojoman0

I'm thinking of putting one in a new build by the end of the year as well. By then maybe the prices will be a tad lower and I'll have a board with sata 3
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 06:23 PM   #6
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

so here's my mobo:

http://www.evga.com/articles/401.asp

"4 Right-angled SATA-2 ports with support for RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD"

SATA-2 runs at 3 Gbit/s, correct?

so should I still get a sata-3 card or will this run fine, btw what is the best bang for you buck SSD out there would you say?
Old 03-26-11, 06:25 PM   #7
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

I'm thinking about getting this, thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227590
or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357

Should I wait for the Vertex 3? Looks like it may be 2x expensive...

Good match for my mobo?
http://www.evga.com/articles/401.asp
Old 03-28-11, 07:01 PM   #8
mojoman0

from the benchmarks ive seen what makes the vertex 3 so great is its use of sata 3.0. Also I'm pretty sure the Vertex 3 was supposed to retail at $250 for the 120gb, only 45-50 more than the vertex 2 I think is worth it. Considering these devices are still rapidly improving, I think the latest generation should have a better feature set to justify the price

edit: I guess you can preorder the V3 already

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...1356966&sr=8-1

$300 for 120gb. A little steep, I think I'd wait till they hit $250
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-11, 04:42 PM   #9
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12

newegg has the vertex 3's for reorder/preorder as they say they are out of stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-706-_-Product
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,acer gv215hv 21.5 inch 1080p lcd monitor, zalman eclipse 8200dpi mouse,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 10:09 PM   #10
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Ended up buying the OCZ Vertex 2, and am VERY happy with it... thanks for all the advice... boots up so fast now and everything comes up in the blink of an eye... glad I finally took the plunge...

Now how do I setup this trim thing? Also, is there a way to monitor the life of it?

Thanks,

Vanz
Old 04-10-11, 10:16 PM   #11
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Now how do I setup this trim thing? Also, is there a way to monitor the life of it?
Trim should be enabled by default when Windows detects an SSD. Also, I wouldn't worry about the life. It will last you longer than you keep it.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 11:40 PM   #12
AngelGraves13

I'll get a SSD when it hits 1TB or more.

That's just too small.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote