Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-11, 12:35 PM   #13
HiCZoK4

Default Re: Leaked internal video from Microsoft shows their stupid plans for the future of P

ohhh... myyyy.... godddd.....
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:37 PM   #14
Redeemed

Default Re: Leaked internal video from Microsoft shows their stupid plans for the future of P

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well the cash cow for Windows is Office, not PC games. Even without PC gaming, MS will still be positioned very well thanks to Office. And also a lot of other enterprise/business applications.

There is no real pressure on MS here, that's why they don't care about PC gaming.
Maybe I'm too optimistic or whatever, but I think you're under estimating the value gamers bring to Windows (and thus MS).

Most gamers don't *just* game, they watch movies, listen to music, perform productivity functions, make movies, make music, etc. I doubt there are many PC gamers whom literally use their computer for absolutely nothing other than gaming.

Provide PC Gamers with a better OS for gaming and I guarantee most will jump ship near instantly. Under OSX we can still use office, under *nix we at least have Open Office which offers complete compatibility with Office.

Not only that, it'd render DX absolutely useless. I am fairly certain that it'd cost MS in the millions, at the very minimal 10's of millions if not hundreds. They'd feel it. Maybe not enough to get them to do something positive for PC Gaming, but they'd feel it and I know it'd hurt.

Not only that, it could be just what PC Gaming needs to breathe new life into it as a competitive gaming platform. I could see it working well... remember how the X-Fi had different modes depending on what you were doing? Well, the OS could have something very similar. When you need to do productivity click a button on your "taskbar" that makes the OS focus on productivity based tasks, when you want to game, click a button on the taskbar that makes it gaming-only oriented, when you want to do something creative such as make music or a movie, click a button again. Today's hardware is so powerful I'm fairly certain this could be implemented but it likely hasn't been done due to costs- only MS would have the money to spear head something like this, only MS has the resources to put into R&D to make sure this worked right... but we all know they wont do this.

I dunno... maybe Google could pull this off with their OS. That'd be way awesome but I'm not sure if they have enough resources to really make it work well. It'd have to be backwards compatible with older DX titles which makes things even more difficult but likely doable still.

I can dream, can't I?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:39 PM   #15
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
sadly no, still no real blu-ray support in either. either nix or osx can truly replace windows.
What's Blu-Ray?

j/k but I own maybe 5 BD, all of those I can buy the HD version off of iTunes. Don't believe it's in 1080p but it is better than a standard DVD. Good enough for me.
Old 03-20-11, 12:50 PM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
What's Blu-Ray?

j/k but I own maybe 5 BD, all of those I can buy the HD version off of iTunes. Don't believe it's in 1080p but it is better than a standard DVD. Good enough for me.
crap off itunes is not even close to what you get on blu-ray, and soon you will have 3-4 layer blu-ray movies. movies at 100-130GB, try downloading that of itunes.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:55 PM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Well the cash cow for Windows is Office, not PC games. Even without PC gaming, MS will still be positioned very well thanks to Office. And also a lot of other enterprise/business applications.

There is no real pressure on MS here, that's why they don't care about PC gaming.
I'm more about having a viable alternative to dx that's just as widely supported. Afaik the API is all that ties devs to windows. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
crap off itunes is not even close to what you get on blu-ray, and soon you will have 3-4 layer blu-ray movies. movies at 100-130GB, try downloading that of itunes.
That's not much of a concern for me nekro - I don't watch movies on the pc very often. That will change if I want to start using BR for storage though.
Old 03-20-11, 01:09 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I'm more about having a viable alternative to dx that's just as widely supported. Afaik the API is all that ties devs to windows. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not much of a concern for me nekro - I don't watch movies on the pc very often. That will change if I want to start using BR for storage though.
I'm in the same boat Grey. I think the issue with PC Gaming is that with so many variations in hardware the devs need an API to simplify things. Unlike on consoles can code specifically to the hardware, with PC's there's so many variations in that hardware that you need an API like DX to make it universal so to speak. Untill another API can do this better than DX we're likely going to be stuck on Windows for gaming. MS kinda' has us over a barrel here.

As to BD nekro- I really don't care. The HD quality off of iTunes is plenty for me. I'd wager it's plenty for most as well. If I were really concerned with that I'd own a BD player out in the living room that'd be hooked to a massive projector and monstrous surround sound system. Don't need windows for that.
Old 03-20-11, 01:16 PM   #19
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I wish someone would raise the curtain on a platform that would make it attractive for devs to dump dx altogether...make ms totally irrelevant wrt gaming. I hate em, really do.
+1

Unfortunately the only person that is likely intelligent enough, brash enough, and is financially secure enough to head such a project is Carmack. While ID is still obviously in the PC gaming market Carmack has so many other things that he does now (like building ****ing rockets) I don't think he's interested in taking on such a monumental task

Maybe someone could nudge MIT into looking at something like this...

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:19 PM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
+1

Unfortunately the only person that is likely intelligent enough, brash enough, and is financially secure enough to head such a project is Carmack. While ID is still obviously in the PC gaming market Carmack has so many other things that he does now (like building ****ing rockets) I don't think he's interested in taking on such a monumental task

Maybe someone could nudge MIT into looking at something like this...
We can only hope...

Old 03-20-11, 01:22 PM   #21
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Google is encroaching on Microsoft's territory in that regard. Ever used Google documents? Just as much functionality as word, excel, powerpoint, etc. and it's all saved online, and can be accessed from any computer with internet access... and it's all free.

Microsoft is boned unless they find some way to compete with this.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:31 PM   #22
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Maybe I'm too optimistic or whatever, but I think you're under estimating the value gamers bring to Windows (and thus MS).

Most gamers don't *just* game, they watch movies, listen to music, perform productivity functions, make movies, make music, etc. I doubt there are many PC gamers whom literally use their computer for absolutely nothing other than gaming.
Everyone I know who does all of the bolded use OSX. Easier to use, no hassle. MSFT is a pain in the ass.
Old 03-20-11, 02:46 PM   #23
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
The video is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA and it is surprisingly even more ridiculous, than you would imagine
lmao @ the dislikes
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:49 PM   #24
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
lmao @ the dislikes
Yeah because it's a horrible video. Maybe it's an internal April fools joke that's being readied. We can only hope it's a joke.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote