Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-11, 11:42 AM   #217
wysiwyg

Default Re: Official Crysis 2 Feedback Thread

just started this

a lot more linear than crysis 1's huge environment, but im having fun and it feels like being in an epic disaster movie. granted graphics would be even more amazing if it was focused for pc more and maps bigger with more interactivity
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:39 PM   #218
Sean_W

SSAO is great. Objects look really flat without it and gives the scene more depth.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:44 PM   #219
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Cryengine 3 scales for high end PCs. It was developed as a PC game with the ability to be ported / castrated for consoles. I don't know what you guys are looking at but Crysis 2 looks amazing and the frame rate is excellent. I played at lower than optimal res with no AA for Crysis 1, not so this time around. Playing in Very High gets me 100-130 FPS and Extreme 80-100 FPS. The console gets 30 fps at it's best, frame rate drops and is the equivalence of the PC version on low (as per dev interview I saw).

DX9 still looks great... and how many DX10 / DX11 games run good? None, they all tank the framerate, look the same and we end up running DX9 anyways...I think BF BC2 is the only game I run in DX11. Sad that it was supposed to speed API calls up yet everytime I DX11 game is released I'm disappointed and end up running DX9 to gain some extra performance anyways.

I think the perceptions here have gotten too blurred.
Because developers haven't got to grips with DX10/11 yet. They have had since 2002 to get to grips with DX9.

I didn't say Crysis 2 look amazing, just saying it's really nothing special compared to Crysis 1 in the graphics department 4 years ago. Crysis 2 looks great because they know how to make use of DX9 better now days. It also runs great because.....well as it should since it's nowhere near as big leap graphically as Crysis 1 was.
Old 03-26-11, 12:56 PM   #220
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Nah. SSAO (usually) is a huge performance hog that does nothing noticeable while gaming.
There is difference while comparing screenshots for sure. But that's not what I'm after.
haha, well you guys with superior cards and CPUs shouldn't need to worry about the performance hit.
Old 03-26-11, 01:24 PM   #221
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyboy View Post
Maybe I was missing something or not seeing correctly but I really didn't see what made the graphics in Crysis 1 so good? In all honesty I thought CoD Modern Warfare looked better and it ran great. I installed Crysis one the other day just to check it out again and it confirmed my first thoughts, the graphics weren't that great, sure the ocean looked impressive with the water moving etc but that was it.
I also thought Modern Warfare's graphics were as good or better, and I enjoyed that game alot more too.

I was never able to get Crysis to run with wine when I only had my Linux desktop. The first time I played was just last year, so it was already 2.5-3 years old by then. All I remember hearing about were the graphics... Graphics, graphics, graphics. Well, by the time I played those graphics were pretty common. The only thing left was the actual gameplay, which I found to be pretty standard. By the end of the game I was bored.

Dunno if I forgot about that when buying Crysis 2 or if I was hoping for a whole new experience or what, but I'm bored with it already and I just started. :I
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 01:30 PM   #222
wysiwyg

again modern wafare is a corridor game, and it has zero physics or multiple ways of doing things
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 01:39 PM   #223
Sean_W

Quote:
Maybe I was missing something or not seeing correctly but I really didn't see what made the graphics in Crysis 1 so good? In all honesty I thought CoD Modern Warfare looked better and it ran great. I installed Crysis one the other day just to check it out again and it confirmed my first thoughts, the graphics weren't that great, sure the ocean looked impressive with the water moving etc but that was it.
I wouldn't even put CoD in the same league as Crysis, in regard to graphics. CoD beats it by a mile in regard to MP gameplay though.

Crysis is so many levels better in graphics detail and fidelity then CoD it's not even funny.
Old 03-26-11, 02:18 PM   #224
Pennyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I also thought Modern Warfare's graphics were as good or better, and I enjoyed that game alot more too.

I was never able to get Crysis to run with wine when I only had my Linux desktop. The first time I played was just last year, so it was already 2.5-3 years old by then. All I remember hearing about were the graphics... Graphics, graphics, graphics. Well, by the time I played those graphics were pretty common. The only thing left was the actual gameplay, which I found to be pretty standard. By the end of the game I was bored.

Dunno if I forgot about that when buying Crysis 2 or if I was hoping for a whole new experience or what, but I'm bored with it already and I just started. :I

Yeah, I just think that Crysis 1 was over hyped way too much and I was expecting too much? when I played the game and finished it, looking back I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Sure the graphics were good, but there where certain things eg the tree leafs, they looked a bit funny and overall I really did think that CoD was up there in most respects. Maybe it was the CoD storyline or the fact that to me CoD was a 50 times more fun game, the gameplay was like an action movie. I mean right from the start you fly in on a chopper, fast rope down onto the ship, take down the bad guys and then have to jump onto the back of a chopper before the ship sinks, another level you sniper that dude then are chased by dogs, its really intense and the game pulls you in, whereas Crysis never did that and maybe thats part of the reason I thought CoD graphically wise was up there with Crysis?
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro Water Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Intel 520 480GB SATA3 SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Edition
Corsair Obsidian 900D Case
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500s Mouse
ASUS VG236H 23.6" 120hz LCD with nVidia 3D Vision
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Pennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-11, 02:29 PM   #225
MowTin

Played it for about 3 hours last night. I was a little disappointed by the graphics. The graphics look good but for some reason you expect more from a Crytek game. Yet there are moments like when the FDR collapses and there is dust everywhere that the graphics impress.

As a game it does a good job improving on the original. It's just far more polished. I like how the cover system doesn't require you to press any special "take cover" button. I like how you don't have to switch to power mode to hit something hard, you just hold the melee button. They improved almost everything except the graphics.

Also, I don't think it's been consolized. It's 3D television that is the bigger factor. Games made for 3D have to run at high frame rates which requires graphical compromises.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 03:34 PM   #226
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
As a game it does a good job improving on the original. It's just far more polished. I like how the cover system doesn't require you to press any special "take cover" button. I like how you don't have to switch to power mode to hit something hard, you just hold the melee button. They improved almost everything except the graphics.
Crysis had suit shortcuts that worked just as well. Double tap melee for one hit kill, double tap space for big jump, double tap forward for speed, double tap crouch for cloak, double tap back for armour. I actually miss those shortcuts. I also miss a walk button. Sometimes you just gotta slow down and take things in.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 03:47 PM   #227
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Also, I don't think it's been consolized. It's 3D television that is the bigger factor. Games made for 3D have to run at high frame rates which requires graphical compromises.
Of course it's been "consolised". Crytek must had spend ages getting every last bit of frame rate and graphical detail out of the Xbox360 version. Just look at the menu system and options, it stinks of UT3 menu and lack of customisation crappness, even the post processing is over done with crappy MSAA quality. Crysis one was never like this.
Old 03-26-11, 04:18 PM   #228
logan

Quote:
Yeah, I just think that Crysis 1 was over hyped way too much and I was expecting too much? when I played the game and finished it, looking back I was not as impressed as I thought I would be.
Yeah, I agree. I think expectations got me too and I said as much in my original post on it (which for some reason I made a separate topic).

Quote:
Sure the graphics were good, but there where certain things eg the tree leafs, they looked a bit funny and overall I really did think that CoD was up there in most respects. Maybe it was the CoD storyline or the fact that to me CoD was a 50 times more fun game, the gameplay was like an action movie. I mean right from the start you fly in on a chopper, fast rope down onto the ship, take down the bad guys and then have to jump onto the back of a chopper before the ship sinks, another level you sniper that dude then are chased by dogs, its really intense and the game pulls you in, whereas Crysis never did that and maybe thats part of the reason I thought CoD graphically wise was up there with Crysis?
The action in MW was great, some really intense moments that I hold up there with scenes in Die Hard or Saving Private Ryan. But there was also an immersive story and some really great characters. I still remember the sense of urgency at the end, and the total elation when I finally took that mother f'er out, then tearing up after.. MW also kept things interesting by changing up the action by switching units and reliving Price's mission in the Ukraine. The last one is something I'll never forget...

In Crysis I didn't care about the characters or what was going on... Aside from a brief flight somewhere in the middle and floating around in a space ship or something, all I remember is enabling stealth (for the whole 2 seconds it lasted), sneaking around, killing some guys, and moving on to the next area. It was the same thing, over, and over, and over. That's all I've been doing in Crysis 2 so far. I don't get it. This is not interesting or fun for me, and super mega graphics, or physics, or using a sewer to flank enemies vs taking them head on isn't going to change that. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this...
logan is offline   Reply With Quote