Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-05, 01:44 AM   #13
Jorolat
John Latter

Send a message via ICQ to Jorolat Send a message via AIM to Jorolat Send a message via MSN to Jorolat Send a message via Yahoo to Jorolat
Default Re: Anyone NOT have constant disk access in WinXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Turn off indexing in your hard drive properties. It index's the drive while you are not using it. I always turn it off.
How do I turn off indexing jAkUp?

Jorolat
Old 07-14-05, 01:51 AM   #14
OWA

Run windows explorer. Right click your drive and choose properties. Look at the bottom of the dialog and there should be an option to turn off indexing. You can probably accomplish the same thing by turning off the indexing service (control panel->admin tools->Services). Disable the index service.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 02:15 AM   #15
Jorolat
John Latter

Send a message via ICQ to Jorolat Send a message via AIM to Jorolat Send a message via MSN to Jorolat Send a message via Yahoo to Jorolat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Run windows explorer. Right click your drive and choose properties. Look at the bottom of the dialog and there should be an option to turn off indexing. You can probably accomplish the same thing by turning off the indexing service (control panel->admin tools->Services). Disable the index service.
Hi Owa,

I looked at drive properties before and other than 'enable write caching' couldn't see anything I could disable.

Just been to services, indexing is set to manual but is not running and the disc activity is still there.

Jorolat
Old 07-14-05, 02:23 AM   #16
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

This is what you are looking for...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12530  
Old 07-14-05, 11:51 AM   #17
Jorolat
John Latter

Quote:
This is what you are looking for...
Thanks jAkUp, I don't have those two options showing when I click on properties (and I'm miffed about that!) but while I'm here - how do you take a 'picture' like that?

Jorolat
Old 07-14-05, 09:24 PM   #18
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorolat
Now that I've been able to link the problem with modem drivers it appears that the I/O Read & Write Bytes activity may not be connected to disc activity at all (which would account for a lot of the associated 'oddities') but it may be a couple of days before I can chase it up.

Congratulations on escaping the UK & if your system specs are relatively weak I can only imagine some people are using Crays under a different label (I don't even know what some of your stuff is for).

Jorolat
You have to remember that people on sites like these are for the most part enthusiasts. We represent about 2% of the population w/computers or something very dismal like that. BTW The UK isn't that bad is it? I thought in some ways they are ahead of the USA tech wise.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 05:09 AM   #19
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

True say, the UK isn't that bad at all. Just people don't tend to spend asmuch on their PC systems here and tend to put the money into their house or their cars, but you do have have a huge collective of Uber enthusiasts that tend to hang around in forums of their own.

I get the odd blinking HD light in XP , never been able to get rid of that, the reason being when the system activity is pretty quiet it runs a shortened defrag process in the background, it doesn't do much harm and overall it saves you some grief.
Unloading DLLs from memory may also be another possibility. I would suggest picking up a copy of Cacheman XP and having a play with the tweak settings on that.

But first off , A MUST MUST MUST for anyone with half a brain, get rid of that Indexing PoS!! It basically labels the clusters to categorise them for searching, speeds up that process ...sure, but at the same time periodically the system rearranges these into the right order, causing extra HD activity.

Another tweak which I found quite effective to lessen the amount of hard drive activity is a minor Registry tweak, details are here.....

http://www.tweakxp.com/article37043.aspx

This would also explain some additional hard drive usage.

- D -
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 09:09 AM   #20
Jorolat
John Latter

Thanks j0j081 & Peoples Agent,

My part of the UK is definately yukky (wait til I see God) but that'll change someday (when I move). Anyway, I haven't had any time at all to spend on the problem though someone has suggested that I/O Read & Write Bytes aren't concerned with just disc access - I installed XP & SP2 onto a new hard drive & as soon as I installed my modem (broadband) drivers the disc activity involving svchost started.

If I win the lottery tonight I'm gonna get a go-faster computer, 'til then I'll remain poor & make do with this clockwork thingy.

Jorolat

Old 07-23-05, 10:04 AM   #21
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Try turning off the QoS scheduler thingy, that might help too thinking about it.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 10:45 AM   #22
Jorolat
John Latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Try turning off the QoS scheduler thingy, that might help too thinking about it.
Rightio Peoples-Agent, I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment but I'll also do some googling about this in case I break something (I'm good at that).

Jorolat
Old 07-23-05, 12:21 PM   #23
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorolat
Thanks jAkUp, I don't have those two options showing when I click on properties (and I'm miffed about that!) but while I'm here - how do you take a 'picture' like that?

Jorolat
If you hit printscrn, then go to windows paint, hit paste and the image should show there.
Old 07-23-05, 02:23 PM   #24
Jorolat
John Latter

Quote:
If you hit printscrn, then go to windows paint, hit paste and the image should show there.
Wow thanks for that jAkUp!

Crikey, I know so little I thought I had to right click on it 'til I found out from google that printscrn was on my keyboard - wonder what the other keys are for...

Was surprised to find that the whole screen was copied though (rather than the system properties thingy I was looking at), gonna have to look into this further!

Thanks again,

Jorolat