Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-05, 03:57 PM   #25
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Anyone NOT have constant disk access in WinXP?

Yea, the whole screen is copied over, what I do is just cut out the piece I want, paste it to a new paint document, and well, thats it
Old 07-23-05, 04:41 PM   #26
Jorolat
John Latter

Send a message via ICQ to Jorolat Send a message via AIM to Jorolat Send a message via MSN to Jorolat Send a message via Yahoo to Jorolat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Yea, the whole screen is copied over, what I do is just cut out the piece I want, paste it to a new paint document, and well, thats it
's a neat trick & I had always wondered how it was done - tks again!

Jorolat
Old 07-23-05, 04:52 PM   #27
Cheeseh
monngspng

I get lots of I/o read/writes aswell. It should be normal, only if the disk doesn't light up. It'll probably be reading of caches anyway so no big deal.

there is a war going on for your mind
http://www.infowars.com|http://www.prisonplanet.tv
Cheeseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 05:03 PM   #28
Jorolat
John Latter

Send a message via ICQ to Jorolat Send a message via AIM to Jorolat Send a message via MSN to Jorolat Send a message via Yahoo to Jorolat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseh
I get lots of I/o read/writes aswell. It should be normal, only if the disk doesn't light up. It'll probably be reading of caches anyway so no big deal.
Mostly the disc light doesn't flicker so I hope it is just reading caches!

Jorolat
Old 07-23-05, 07:28 PM   #29
Sworkhard
Persistence Pays Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorolat
's a neat trick & I had always wondered how it was done - tks again!

Jorolat
A simpler way to get just the window you want is to use alt + print screen. Paste the results into paint and you have no cropping to do, just the active window.
Old 07-23-05, 11:41 PM   #30
Jorolat
John Latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworkhard
A simpler way to get just the window you want is to use alt + print screen. Paste the results into paint and you have no cropping to do, just the active window.
It works!

I did have some teething problems though - first, I didn't 'click' on the system properties screen thingy to make it active so I got the whole screen, & second I had to make sure the previous screen in paint was smaller than the image I wanted to paste so that it was auto-resized.

Thanks Sworkhard

Jorolat
Old 03-02-07, 08:17 PM   #31
F_A_F

I'm afraid this new user is gonna have to revive this old thread

I started having this same problem a few days ago and it's driving me round the bend. Just imagine trying to get some peace and quiet to get your work done and GRIND every GRIND second GRIND the GRIND hard GRIND drive GRIND goes GRIND!

Just a small example of how it's been for me this week, and I can't believe that there's nothing on Google apart from this thread. Sure, many folks immediately cast aspersions on the security of my system and claim "It MUST be Sasser, get an AV programme".....when it's quite plainly not a virus. According to a forum post on the MS support forums, lots of people have this problem yet there's no hint of a solution

Anyone help me?
F_A_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 02:02 AM   #32
ljbc1

I am running Win/XP.
I too am seeing this constant disk activity. According to Windows Task Manager it is lsass.exe and csrss.exe that are doing it. Approx. every second lsass.exe performs 3 reads and writes while csrss.exe only does reads.

I have stopped just about all extra software include spyware and anti-virus but it continues. I have turned off indexing on all drives - no help.

Recently I did a fairly major update from Microsoft. Can't say for sure if that is when it started or not but it is possible.

Another is AVG Free - but that hasn't changed for a while.

I have an I/O trace program that shows the activity - a jpeg sample of the activity is attached.

I would sure like to get rid of this activity - it prevents my hard drives from sleeping when I am away from the computer plus all the activity will lead to premature hard drive failure plus it is damned annoying.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win-XP Disk Activity.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	24663  
ljbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-07, 06:12 AM   #33
BDC

Hello. I've just registered to this site hoping to resolve the same problem. It is driving me nuts! Same senario, lsass and csrss constantly I/O read bytes with lsass constant I/O write bytes.
I've got xp pro setup with 2 - 250G in stripe mode.
Can't believe there is hardly any info re this.
Any help appreciated.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 06:57 AM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
This is the local security authentication server, and it generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token.
Quote:
This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.
these programs are and have to be always running

in ljbc1 case all it does it writes to teh logfile.
Old 04-14-07, 01:42 AM   #35
ljbc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
these programs are and have to be always running

in ljbc1 case all it does it writes to the logfile.
Thanks for clarifying what the processes are and what they do.

I guess I am still wondering why it has to be implemented this way. Surely XP doesn't have to continually write or read to some file on a second-by-second basis to keep track of what's going on. Where I come from those requirements were handled by using an interrupt driven process that would allow the system to quiesce but wake up using a hardware interrupt.

This approach reminds me of DOS where a wait state was really a 100% CPU busy loop testing to see if something needed to be done. Not exactly 21st century technology is it? So, do we just chalk this up to

Finally, I can't help but think this is a new development. I don't recall this happening until recently. My suspicion is that one or more of the recently installed MS updates has caused this to happen or exacerbated an already existing condition. But, of course, I have no proof of that - just a hunch.

So, do we just chalk this up as another MS XP "feature" and live with it or is there something we can do about it?

Sorry for the rant but that's how I feel.
ljbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:33 PM   #36
gfranzen
gfranzen

some tips:

- lsass.exe can be disabled indirectly by removing the terminal service (only used for remote logon)

- scvhost (on my Xp system) was a resul of automatic update being enabled. MS must be braindead to have it so active. I disabled auto update and it all calmed down. Use systeminternals process explorer to map svchost relationships (svchost is a server for another process - that's what you need to find)
gfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote