Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-03, 04:00 PM   #1
Ross Clement

Default Abit NF7-M - Major problems, no sign of any solution

Hi everyone. I've been trying hard for weeks to get video on my Abit NF7-M computer going, and have been having no luck whatsoever. I've searched many forums/pages on the web, I've tried everything I can think of, and simply cannot make my card work. Please, *PLEASE* can somebody suggest what I can do to fix things.

Details are: Motherboard Abit NF7-M (onboard 32MB Geforce 4 MX graphics)
Model: GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Bios: nVidia-nforce-6A61BA1AC-15
Distribution: Redhat 9, stock kernel (tried the latest kernel, no improvement).
Video BIOS: 04.1f.00.05.00

I'm going to attach a whole host of files, including XFree86 log file. I couldn't get a log file from verbose mode, as if I startx -verbose from runlevel 3, it just crashes. Screen goes black, no response to anything.

The problems are that 3d programs (such as tuxracer, glxgears) will not run more than about a second or so, and then they crash., usually crashing X and/or the computer as well.

I've really worked very hard to fix this myself, but simply cannot find out what the problem is.

Somebody please help. Anybody?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross Clement.
Attached Files
File Type: txt attach.txt (41.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-07-03, 04:11 PM   #2
logan

I don't know about the crashing, but the NVIDIA kernel module is loading AGPGART and failing.

nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4496 Wed Jul 16
19:03:09 PDT 2003
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 409M
agpgart: unsupported bridge

I don't see an NvAGP option in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Option "NvAGP" "integer"
Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:
0 : disable agp
1 : use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible
2 : use AGPGART, if possible
3 : use any agp support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)

The default is 3.

Try setting up /etc/modules.conf with:
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

Or setting NvAGP to 1 with the AGPGART module unloaded.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 06:19 PM   #3
Ross Clement

Default Re: Abit NF7-M problems

Hi. I've tried installing the drivers tens of times, with all sorts of options. I tried Option "NvAGP" "1", and XFreee86.0.log reports that the nv driver has been loaded, but that didn't solve the problem. I tried the options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1 in /etc/modules.conf, but it didn't work. And, when the computer crashed after running glxgears, it wouldn't boot up again, and eventually I booted up in Knoppix and removed that option and set XF86Config back to simple values (the 'nv' driver).

If I try to load the agpgart module, I get errors:

# /sbin/modprobe agpgart
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart failed
#

I don't think the non-running agpgart is my problem. I have another computer (Asus A7N266-VM), also running redhat 9. It gives exactly the same errors in dmesg and in XFree86.0.log, but the graphics (and everything else) seem to work fine.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of IRQ problem. I haven't assigned IRQs manually, I've left the bios set to automatic IRQ assignment. Is this likely to be the problem? I could try manual IRQ assignment, but have no idea what IRQs to assign to what hardware.

Thank you very much for replying, I'm finding it very frustrating trying to fix this problem week after week and getting nowhere.

Cheers,

Ross Clement.
Old 08-08-03, 10:24 PM   #4
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

I have an NF7-S, and my problem is that I can't keep my system running for ten minutes without it locking up. There are many others like me that are having problems with Linux on the nforce2 chipset. I don't think the video card is the problem.
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 03:03 AM   #5
Ross Clement

Default Re: Lockups with NF7-[SM]

Hi. In my case, if I put a (truly ancient) PCI video card in the machine, the problems stop. Of course, 3d stops as well.

Have you tried running memtest86 to check your memory? Also, do you have a quality power supply. According to the people at www.nforcershq.com, both ram and power are potential problems for this board.

Also, I've made email contact with a person running FreeBSD on an NF7-M, with the NVIDIA drivers installed, and his machine is running properly, so I don't think the hardware is at fault.

Today I'm just about to remove my HD, put in a spare, and install FreeBSD 5.1. on it to see what happens.

Cheers,

Ross-c