Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-11, 01:47 PM   #1
Rikard.Jo
>=)

Default GeForce FX 5600XT, wrong resolution options.

Hey! Right now I got a GeForce FX 5600XT in my stationary computer, and I'm trying to get a 1680x1050 resolution on my (ASUS VW225N) Monitor.

That resolution worked fine with my GeForce FX 5200 -card which I used some time ago, before it broke. Right now, still using the 173 drivers, the 2 closest resolution -options is 1600x1024 and 1600x1200. I've tried the Current and 96 driver aswell, but without success.

When I'm disabling the drivers and rebooting the computer, the 1680x1050 resolution-option comes back. But, I really need the 3D-acceleration.

Im using 32-bits Ubuntu 10.10 with kernel version 2.6.35-25. Motherboard is an Aopen Ak77-333 and the card is hooked in to the 4x AGP slot. Also attaching the nvidia-bug-report file i generated. Let me know whatever more info that may help.

I'm grateful for any help, as of now im using 1600x1200. Which is for 4:3 aspect -screens. So everything is stretched and kinda blurry.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (60.7 KB, 94 views)
Rikard.Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 07:17 PM   #2
theTechnaddict

Default Re: GeForce FX 5600XT, wrong resolution options.

Try this...

Open the Nvidia X Server Settings tool...

Select the XServer Display Configuration and

make sure you can see your external monitor - click on the button 'Detect Displays' if you can't.

If you can see it but it is identified only as 'CRT-0' or something similar without showing a manufacturer or model then...

Under the GPU section select 'CRT-0' (or whatever your monitor is listed as - I think it depends on the connection)

You will now see on the right two items - 'Refresh rate' which is probably unknown and a button 'Acquire EDID' - press that button and follow prompts to save the file.

Now when you go back to the displays, possibly having to press 'Detect Displays' again you should see the model or manufacturer and the correct resolution.

EDID stands for 'Extended Display Identification Data'
theTechnaddict is offline   Reply With Quote