Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-11, 01:10 AM   #61
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: Intel X79 Chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It's always an improvement i guess, but if that's the average for SNB-E over the 990X, Then my current setup has absolutely nothing to worry about( 12 cores at 4 Ghz FTW...)

EVGA built a monster motherboard with the twin socket 1366 pin SR-2 that also overclocks like a demon, so wake me up when there's a setup that can beat this by at least 50% in real world benchmarks(preferrably more)....
An overclocked SB will already beat your setup in real world gaming benchmarks. For people who build the best they can for what they mainly use their PC for this will obviously be the best setup around for gamers. I too want to see some real world benchmarks, especially in games to see if it's actually worth it over SB.

I'm still hoping Bulldozer provides good all round performance for the money, but we'll see.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 04:05 PM   #62
Slytat

Quote:
It's always an improvement i guess, but if that's the average for SNB-E over the 990X, Then my current setup has absolutely nothing to worry about( 12 cores at 4 Ghz FTW...)

EVGA built a monster motherboard with the twin socket 1366 pin SR-2 that also overclocks like a demon, so wake me up when there's a setup that can beat this by at least 50% in real world benchmarks(preferrably more)....
Like Viral said, pretty much any OC'd high end single SB CPU setup will drill your glorified benchmarking box where gaming is concerned.

Gamers want the fastest available processor and that will be the 3960. I'd hoped for a little more but it is still reasonable and we've yet to see proper benchmarks.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 10:27 AM   #63
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Like Viral said, pretty much any OC'd high end single SB CPU setup will drill your glorified benchmarking box where gaming is concerned.

Gamers want the fastest available processor and that will be the 3960. I'd hoped for a little more but it is still reasonable and we've yet to see proper benchmarks.

See the funny thing about that statement is that the main enhancement of the upcoming SB-E is that it has extra cores(2 more) and handles 4 extra threads too and adds 2 extra memory channels, compared to the current 4 core/ 8 thread, twin memory channel sandy bridge that you love so much for gaming, and it's exactly those extra cores and extra threads and memory channels that games still don't use, but many will still buy the systems with these upcoming processors anyhow...

As for my own system, if/when games do use those extra cores/threads, it's bye bye sandy bridge in gaming, as the processors in it still have plenty of untapped speed for gaming when you have 12 cores and 24 threads to play with, and even now with them running at 4 Ghz rock stable for the last 4 months straight, they're not exactly a slouch in any game out there, even though their full potential is not even close to be fully used....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 11:30 AM   #64
Slytat

Shadow001 has made claims that he uses it for more than just benchmarking/gaming although I never heard any of these claims when he was trying to pimp his dual 5970 box.

The point is that a single OC'd 2500/2600K will best your system where gaming is concerned and that is already 6 month old hardware, the 3960x will widen that margin significantly.

By the time 12 cores are relevant for gaming, there will be a single 12 core CPU. No game developer in their right mind will develop a game for a non existent segment of the gaming market when better results can be achieved with a single processor.

Furthermore, making arguments that the 990x/3960x's 'extra' 2 cores are useless, and then in the same post trying to make the case that your 'extra' 6 will be utilized at some point, is borderline schizophrenic IMHO. Obviously, 6 (then 8) cores are going to be the next relevant plateau as far as gaming goes. As previously stated, game developers don't design games with server/productivity hardware in mind.

Quote:
See the funny thing about that statement is that the main enhancement of the upcoming SB-E is that it has extra cores(2 more) and handles 4 extra threads too and adds 2 extra memory channels, compared to the current 4 core/ 8 thread, twin memory channel sandy bridge that you love so much for gaming, and it's exactly those extra cores and extra threads and memory channels that games still don't use, but many will still buy the systems with these upcoming processors anyhow...

As for my own system, if/when games do use those extra cores/threads, it's bye bye sandy bridge in gaming, as the processors in it still have plenty of untapped speed for gaming when you have 12 cores and 24 threads to play with, and even now with them running at 4 Ghz rock stable for the last 4 months straight, they're not exactly a slouch in any game out there, even though their full potential is not even close to be fully used....
PS: I'm genuinely glad you enjoy your PC but we don't want to hear about how 'great' it is in every post.
Old 07-26-11, 02:41 PM   #65
mullet

Waits to see what slaWter gets. Then sell my car and buy that.
Old 07-26-11, 02:44 PM   #66
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
PS: I'm genuinely glad you enjoy your PC but we don't want to hear about how 'great' it is in every post.
He thinks it's special though... Like him...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 02:46 PM   #67
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But for Tri-SLI, you're heavily limited by your 4GHz CPUs. I was as well when I had 3 580s. Even at 7680x1600!
A $300 CPU can provide much better Tri-SLI scaling. That's the sad part. And this is why I'm looking forward to SNB-E. Better overclockability without giving up on cores. Even though I have no real usage for 6 Cores on my PC. That's why I might just skip SNB-E and get a normal Ivy Bridge instead.

I'm sure you have a heavily threaded real world workflow for your system. Although you still haven't mentioned that in any of your brag-posts

How is a sandy bridge 4 core / 8 thread CPU night and day better than a 6 core/12 thread gulftown or westmere CPU?.....Both use the 32nm process for one, the gulftowns or westmeres have 50% more L2 cache and when using the same cooling methods on both, sandy bridge can clock maybe an extra 500Mhz over the 6 core chips.

It can be faster than the 6 core processors, and is an awsome value for the money at 300$, but it's not blowing those 6 cores away in the slightest unless 5 or 10% better performance is a huge difference for you, and the fact remains that the 4 core sandy bridge chips are closer to their maximum performance, while the gulftowns and upcoming sandy bridge E's with 6 cores /12 threads, are not using those 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads in gaming in most cases, so there's still extra performance for developers to extract here...

Blaming the hardware for defects or lack of performance, when the software isn't making use of the extra hardware in the first place has always made me laugh...
Old 07-26-11, 02:55 PM   #68
shadow001

Quote:
Shadow001 has made claims that he uses it for more than just benchmarking/gaming although I never heard any of these claims when he was trying to pimp his dual 5970 box.

The point is that a single OC'd 2500/2600K will best your system where gaming is concerned and that is already 6 month old hardware, the 3960x will widen that margin significantly.

By the time 12 cores are relevant for gaming, there will be a single 12 core CPU. No game developer in their right mind will develop a game for a non existent segment of the gaming market when better results can be achieved with a single processor.

Furthermore, making arguments that the 990x/3960x's 'extra' 2 cores are useless, and then in the same post trying to make the case that your 'extra' 6 will be utilized at some point, is borderline schizophrenic IMHO. Obviously, 6 (then 8) cores are going to be the next relevant plateau as far as gaming goes. As previously stated, game developers don't design games with server/productivity hardware in mind.

No it isn't schizophrenic, people will buy the 3960x's since it'll be intel highest end chip once released, and games won't really use those extra cores for the time being, just like they aren't being used in my system with current games, even though the potential for higher performance is there in both cases, but i'm sure some will still make a case that the 3960x's are somehow much better in gaming than the 2600K just the same, and worth the extra 1000+$ over the 2600k when you consider the cost of the processor and the motherboard and the extra memory(4 channels remember)....

Old 07-26-11, 03:02 PM   #69
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...rifire_redux/2

These results are in line with my testing. My 4.1GHz CPU was not enough to feed my three 580 3GBs, even in very GPU-limited scenarios.
Tri-SLI apparently loves clock speed more than anything else.

Well seeing that chart is kinda funny when there a 1.2 Ghz clock speed difference between the 2600k and the i7 920 they used, and the best case scenario is a 30% advantage for the 2600k....In other tests is way less than that, being as small as 3% in one of them.

The 2600k in that test is running at 34% faster clock speed than the i7 920 at 3.6 Ghz, and pretty much any i7 920 can make it past 4 Ghz on air , so the performance gap would be smaller.....Relative to your own 980x, it would blow the 2600k away if the game was written to use the last 2 cores...
Old 07-26-11, 07:15 PM   #70
Slytat

Quote:
No it isn't schizophrenic, people will buy the 3960x's since it'll be intel highest end chip once released, and games won't really use those extra cores for the time being, just like they aren't being used in my system with current games, even though the potential for higher performance is there in both cases, but i'm sure some will still make a case that the 3960x's are somehow much better in gaming than the 2600K just the same, and worth the extra 1000+$ over the 2600k when you consider the cost of the processor and the motherboard and the extra memory(4 channels remember)....
You seem to be of the opinion that if you spend money on something it is a sound investment (even when it isn't) but if other people spend ~$1k on a better processor than your two Xeons (gaming wise), they are somehow wasting their money.

You have a lot of nerve questioning what other people spend their money on when you have spent at least $1000.00 per Xeon (probably more) and $700.00 on the motherboard. A 3960x based system will cost less and provide much better performance where gaming is concerned.

Your system will be obsolete long before 12 cores are even a 'recommended' spec as far as gaming goes.
Old 07-26-11, 09:53 PM   #71
shadow001

Quote:
You seem to be of the opinion that if you spend money on something it is a sound investment (even when it isn't) but if other people spend ~$1k on a better processor than your two Xeons (gaming wise), they are somehow wasting their money.

You have a lot of nerve questioning what other people spend their money on when you have spent at least $1000.00 per Xeon (probably more) and $700.00 on the motherboard. A 3960x based system will cost less and provide much better performance where gaming is concerned.

Your system will be obsolete long before 12 cores are even a 'recommended' spec as far as gaming goes.

I had my reasons for spending the money plain amnd simple, and what other people do with their money when these 6 core CPU's will be released is their business, but there's more than enough information to indicate that no matter what improvements are done to sandy bridge E's overall architecture, there will still be 2 cores and 4 threads within that proocessor not getting used in gaming, just like they're not being used on my Xeons, so here we are discussing what is better when in neither case, the hardware isn't being used fully anyhow when it comes to gaming is pretty pathetic to say the least.

Just because the X79 chipset will be all the rage as it's the latest high end platform, and sandy bridge E's with 6 cores and 12 threads the latest processor, means didly squat if the software isn't leveraging everything the overall platform can dish out performance wise, and gaming developers might start concentrating on CPU's with these many cores and thread handling ability when they'll be much more common(the vast majority of the market really), wich might take a few years still......Spending resources in development time and game design wich costs some serious money btw, that caters to way less than 5% of the market that has these 6 core CPU's right now is nuts if you're a developer.....Games are expensive enough to make as it is, with some having cost more than 100 million to make and 4~5 years of work for a team of several hundred people.

In my case, the only thing i'll ever change in my setup are the video cards, and only when there's a fab process change(like the upcoming 28nm products), the performance nearly doubles over the current generation and the power use stays under 300 watts per card under full load (PCI-e compliant)......The CPU's and motherboard stay put for the next several years when it comes to gaming as there's a lot of speed still not getting used, and personally i'm sick and tired of doing upgrades every 2 years for 10~30% performance improvements when my current setup is handling them fine, so when there's a setup out there that can double the performance of this one IN EVERY APPLICATION ,wake me up...
Old 07-27-11, 12:48 AM   #72
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

It's all relative when it comes to how to wish to use your disposable income
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote