Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-11, 10:32 AM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post

Thats a loooot
How in the world can you spend $24K on one gaming PC? I'm glad some people around here have $24K laying around just to spend on anything, must be nice lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:42 AM   #14
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
How in the world can you spend $24K on one gaming PC? I'm glad some people around here have $24K laying around just to spend on anything, must be nice lol.
It's over a period of 8 years(newegg receipt totals)..I thought it was understood, sorry for the confusion. Still makes me sick since each build had to be upgraded or built from scratch every year to keep up.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:44 AM   #15
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
PC elitists are killing PC gaming. You dislike one thing and so you refuse to buy the game, and so it sells better on consoles. What do you think they'll take from that data? Screw the PC version.
So i should just pay them money and buy a **** product?....wtf?!!!!!!!!! Crysis 2 was such a waste of my money...**** i wish i can get back my money / return this.

Dragon Age : Kirkwell was rubbish as well...i can't even force myself to finish the game...its so bloody boring the gameplay and the recycled areas are making it even more boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
It's over a period of 8 years(newegg receipt totals)..I thought it was understood, sorry for the confusion. Still makes me sick since each build had to be upgraded or built from scratch every year to keep up.
According to this...you have spend $3,000 USD / year. Really?...i spend maybe $1000 AUD / every 1-2 years...

Do you want to re-calculate that?...

I also say your comment
Quote:
since each build had to be upgraded or built from scratch every year to keep up."
bull****.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:53 AM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Gotcha. I've had the same rig for 4-5 years minus the HDD and the video card, but it still does the trick.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:03 AM   #17
K007

Quote:
Gotcha. I've had the same rig for 4-5 years minus the HDD and the video card, but it still does the trick.
exactly!...u dont have to upgrade every single component lol!...the hdd/videocard are usually the only things u would need to upgrade. with video card u should be ok for 2 years easily.

for me i got my 5870 running every game at 1920x1080 without any issues with max settings. (metro 2033 is something i cant do on dx10). i might get the next gpu series the ati 7xxx / nvidia 6xx....but its not looking like any developer is really pushing the graphics anymore since xbox360/ps3 is going to be around for awhile
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:30 AM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Agreed. I've been playing back through games like GTA4 and it just pissed me off how horribly the game was coded/developed. Even with my rig and the fact that all settings were on f'n low, it still runs like CRAP. Not only that but I have to deal with keeping the disc in my DVD drive and GFWL. Finally, what sweetens the deal is that GFWL crashes GTA4 on startup. I have to keep running it until it runs through the intro of the game just to play.

The complication of things and the major let downs almost makes me NOT want to upgrade my rig or buy any new PC games. Even with Steam leading the way IMO, devs are going to be the death of PC gaming at some point. If not, we as PC gamers will eventually get used to crappy ports and just have to deal with it. Maybe some indie devs will rise up . . maybe . .
there is something really wrong with your PC then, I played GTA4 on my Q6600 with 280 and it ran just without a single issues. And never had GFWL crash a single game.

GTA4 runs better on my i7 rig, but Q6600 handled the game great.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:06 PM   #19
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post

According to this...you have spend $3,000 USD / year. Really?...i spend maybe $1000 AUD / every 1-2 years...

Do you want to re-calculate that?...

I also say your comment bull****.
$3,000 a year was the norm. Latest CPU plus sli or quad sli of the latest and greatest. That's a good estimate and easy to do since I lived below my means quite a bit. Good for you if you spent less, you were the thriftier purchaser. Congrats.

But at the time I liked having the best of the best of everything no matter what overkill it was. I upgraded on a whim. My last pc was about $4,000 total(u can see it in my sig stripped of its 3d cards and kickass power supply). I bought the cpu's that were already unlocked so that puts a huge premium on them.

I was a young pc enthusiast with money to burn. However at 28 I wish I had just kept the money over time. I regret those purchases and am no longer making those mistakes. My rig is well outdated and it's fine with me for the first time ever.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
Old 04-02-11, 12:25 PM   #20
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll
...at 28 I wish I had just kept the money over time. I regret those purchases and am no longer making those mistakes. My rig is well outdated and it's fine with me for the first time ever.
You've become my personal hero from now on

LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-11, 12:38 PM   #21
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

And about the article per se... well... let the 'Elitist' PC gamers cry as much as they want, anyway things aren't gonna really change, and even if it had any chance to do it, the general attitude sucks (and sucks A LOT), which defeats the purpose of any kind of chance for the PC realm to get what people deserve (but we already know this world is full of people who want different things so when developers add feature A people will cry for absence of B, and when developers add feature B people will cry for the absence of C, and so on... it's always the same, developers add feature X, then people will cry for the absence of feature X+1).

I'm a PC user & gamer myself with a bit of console gaming but, honestly, reading this same crap over and over makes me wish for the PC market to go BOOM! just to observe your reactions...
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:52 PM   #22
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
$3,000 a year was the norm. Latest CPU plus sli or quad sli of the latest and greatest. That's a good estimate and easy to do since I lived below my means quite a bit. Good for you if you spent less, you were the thriftier purchaser. Congrats.

But at the time I liked having the best of the best of everything no matter what overkill it was. I upgraded on a whim. My last pc was about $4,000 total(u can see it in my sig stripped of its 3d cards and kickass power supply). I bought the cpu's that were already unlocked so that puts a huge premium on them.

I was a young pc enthusiast with money to burn. However at 28 I wish I had just kept the money over time. I regret those purchases and am no longer making those mistakes. My rig is well outdated and it's fine with me for the first time ever.
As a Xbox 360 elite owner / gamer I see you've pretty much given up on gaming altogether and are now satisfied to "game" on hardware 5 years old with low res textures and jagged assed graphics.

RIP ex-gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:54 PM   #23
Sean_W

I've noticed how the tone has changed here because people here have consoles as well.

PC gamers want the whole experience and pay good money for it. If you want a meh, cheap experience on your TV then fine, buy a console but that's not what PC gamers want. I don't expect game developers now days to build for the PC from the ground up, but what I do expect is for them to use my hardware better and support it, because I paid good money for it. Deferred Lighting shouldn't have even got into DX9 and was only put in because it's better for consoles.

What's changed is that games are easier to port to the PC, so the lame DX9 features for the consoles and then port it to the PC for less work. The fact you need DX10 for AA and a lot of games still use DX9 because of consoles is annoying. Changing the API to suit consoles is not right as it doesn't give PC gamers a better experience.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:58 PM   #24
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
As a Xbox 360 elite owner / gamer I see you've pretty much given up on gaming altogether and are now satisfied to "game" on hardware 5 years old with low res textures and jagged assed graphics.

RIP ex-gamer.
I will concede this. The joys of 16x FSAA and 16x Anistropic Filtering at 60fps are a memory. I purposefully avoid the screenshot threads on this forum where I used to gawk at them all the time. It's a brainwashing technique to make myself used to console graphics. It's been mostly successful but I won't lie about what it is.