Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-11, 02:00 PM   #25
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

At this point in time a lot of 360/PS3 console kid gamers have started working for their money so will be moving up to PC.
Everyone likes to upgrade stuff and the Kinect doesn't really cut it.

The various 360 models as an upgrade path have been a rip-off.

"Footage from PC version" on TV ads is good for encouraging PC gaming.

The era of the next generation of PC gamers is arriving!

Old 04-02-11, 02:30 PM   #26
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

More like the opposite (which is sad in a way, but funny in the other)
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:38 PM   #27
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I really enjoyed most of the games they mentioned: Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, Dead Space 2, Assassins Creed and Crysis 2. As far as singleplayer games are concerned, the whole console boom was a good thing because the developers have much more money that can go into their production.
Exactly. A lot of people don't realize that. Consoles have allowed who don't want to spend a ton of cash on computer hardware and upgrades or a ton of time figuring out why their game is crashing to enjoy games. They have increased the gaming market. More money in the market is good for everyone.

Since developers can expect greater revenue they can invest more. Invest in what? Invest in more spectacular cut scenes, more 3d modelers, more artists, better voice actors and better AI. PC gamers benefit from all that.

And everyone gripes about M$ but they have done more for PC gaming than anyone. By making 360 games easy to port to PC we have a ton of games we would never have. If companies had to build a full PC version from scratch they wouldn't bother. They would just focus on the bigger console market. Also, notice how really good and clean ports are lately. Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 1 and 2 are just some examples.

So Microsoft has made a lot of games available to PC through easy porting while SONY's PS3 games will never come to PC. Resistance Fall of Man, Uncharted 1 & 2, GoW 3, MGS4 GT5 are all fantastic games you'll never see on PC.

Let's not forget that Direct X 10 and 11 are for PC gaming.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:51 PM   #28
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Exactly

Since developers can expect greater revenue they can invest more. Invest in what? Invest in more spectacular cut scenes, more 3d modelers, more artists, better voice actors and better AI. PC gamers benefit from all that.
That just BS. Game developers already have great people and already pay them a lot of money. All of that you just said is worthless if the PC port is junk.

Money doesn't make a good game and indie games are just as good.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:56 PM   #29
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

"Footage from PC version" on TV ads is good for encouraging PC gaming.
Its misleading because the console crowd thinks it's for them... when we see AA and AF we know it's not. Then again, its not like they will complain it's their parents money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 04:02 PM   #30
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
That just BS. Game developers already have great people and already pay them a lot of money. All of that you just said is worthless if the PC port is junk.

Money doesn't make a good game and indie games are just as good.
Well, more money means you can hire more great people to add more assets and content to your game.

Is Assassins Creed Brotherhood a bad port? Dead Space 2?

Indie games are like Indie films. You can't compare them to big blockbuster Hollywood movies. An indie version of Spider Man 2 would be horrible. So would an indie version of Crysis 2.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 04:17 PM   #31
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
And everyone gripes about M$ but they have done more for PC gaming than anyone. By making 360 games easy to port to PC we have a ton of games we would never have.
That's not completely true...

While it's true Hell will freeze before SONY decides to let one of its games slip into the PC realm, they have contributed greatly into different technologies we still enjoy up to date, like parts of the engine Codemasters use for GRID, DiRT 2 and even the upcoming GRID 2 (the EGO engine is based partially on the PhyreEngine, which is property of SONY, more or less).

It's true that Microsoft has done much more for PC gaming that many people want to see, but they're currently favoring the XBOX 360 much more, and it's understandable... console gaming gives them far more benefit than PC gaming.

Which doesn't mean they're gonna leave the PC gaming scene in the dark, just... their top priority right now is the XBOX.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 05:14 PM   #32
Sean_W

Quote:
Well, more money means you can hire more great people to add more assets and content to your game.

Is Assassins Creed Brotherhood a bad port? Dead Space 2?

Indie games are like Indie films. You can't compare them to big blockbuster Hollywood movies. An indie version of Spider Man 2 would be horrible. So would an indie version of Crysis 2.
Alot of blockbuster movies are crap anyway. Spending money doesn't guarantee it's going to be a great film and console games get marketed heavy, don't mean they're good games.

We would have got these games anyway, just better if they were not ported. You're dreaming, CoD assets are a ripoff and if you want to pay console premium prices, go right ahead.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-11, 05:56 PM   #33
Yaboze

Aside from this board, because I don't know anyone here personally, everyone I know that has gamed on the PC has abandoned it and now has a Xbox 360 or PS3 (or both). They just have a Mac laptop or Windows PC/Laptop and just use that for Facebook now.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 06:41 PM   #34
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Aside from this board, because I don't know anyone here personally, everyone I know that has gamed on the PC has abandoned it and now has a Xbox 360 or PS3 (or both). They just have a Mac laptop or Windows PC/Laptop and just use that for Facebook now.
I was like for awhile, till the consoles started looking crappy and I came back. Alot of people I know are currently in the process of doing the same and their thoughts are that PC hardware is better value for money now than it's ever been.

Not all doom and gloom folks.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 09:51 PM   #35
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeAll View Post
$3,000 a year was the norm. Latest CPU plus sli or quad sli of the latest and greatest. That's a good estimate and easy to do since I lived below my means quite a bit. Good for you if you spent less, you were the thriftier purchaser. Congrats.

But at the time I liked having the best of the best of everything no matter what overkill it was. I upgraded on a whim. My last pc was about $4,000 total(u can see it in my sig stripped of its 3d cards and kickass power supply). I bought the cpu's that were already unlocked so that puts a huge premium on them.

I was a young pc enthusiast with money to burn. However at 28 I wish I had just kept the money over time. I regret those purchases and am no longer making those mistakes. My rig is well outdated and it's fine with me for the first time ever.
That's your fault then.

You made it sound like you had no choice but to upgrade in order to play the new games.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:03 AM   #36
HiCZoK4

I would say that its stupidity to get ONE pc for more than 1500$.
1500$pc shoul be enough for 2 years. And every new game isnt going to use it 100%
So what the point of spending 3k every year?
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote