Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-11, 04:14 AM   #37
K007

Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
I would say that its stupidity to get ONE pc for more than 1500$.
1500$pc shoul be enough for 2 years. And every new game isnt going to use it 100%
So what the point of spending 3k every year?
that is the million dollar question!...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 06:17 AM   #38
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
We cry about the porting and why shouldn't our hardware be used better? Consoles are a bigger market, it doesn't mean better games.
OH geeze, none of you PC gamers have a point and you don't get what I said. It is simple. If you don't like how game companies are doing business don't buy from them or start your own company. The never ending crying about consoles is pathetic. I vastly prefer PC gaming over console gaming but I don't cry about what ever gaming companies do. When they put out a product I like I buy it. When they don't, I don't buy it.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 06:36 AM   #39
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
OH geeze, none of you PC gamers have a point and you don't get what I said. It is simple. If you don't like how game companies are doing business don't buy from them or start your own company. The never ending crying about consoles is pathetic. I vastly prefer PC gaming over console gaming but I don't cry about what ever gaming companies do. When they put out a product I like I buy it. When they don't, I don't buy it.
Welcome to the real world, where people moan while supporting the company they moan at. In the end, everyone has a right to express their dissatisfaction at game developers and they don't expect bad bugs in a game they brought.

People are suckers.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 06:47 AM   #40
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Why does it even bother you?

Let the people who want to upgrade regularly do their thing please.
Everyone can bother if he wants. thats a free talk forum.
But in fact, I guess I would do the same if I could. PC hardware is my hobby and I can fully understand spending whole lots of money in that direction. Good thing I dont actually have that money and even If I do sometimes, the little brain barricade turns on to prevent wallet damage
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 06:59 AM   #41
Sean_W

Quote:
Everyone can bother if he wants. thats a free talk forum.
But in fact, I guess I would do the same if I could. PC hardware is my hobby and I can fully understand spending whole lots of money in that direction. Good thing I dont actually have that money and even If I do sometimes, the little brain barricade turns on to prevent wallet damage
So what? People spend just as much or in fact a lot more on cars or 'name your hobby'. At least when you buy new PC hardware, your games have new life, not just the same like consoles.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:08 AM   #42
HiCZoK4

True. Thats why I am replaying my older games on PC right now. With maximum graphics an d butter smooth 60fps
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:21 AM   #43
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Why does it even bother you?

Let the people who want to upgrade regularly do their thing please.
The only part that bothers me is where he mentioned he 'had' to upgrade in order to play games....
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:30 AM   #44
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
That's your fault then.

You made it sound like you had no choice but to upgrade in order to play the new games.
Umm even with the best hardware at the time there would be some game that would come out a few months later that barely ran. I liked to run with a minimum 4x fsaa and transparancy FSAA and 16xaniso at 1920x1200. Like when I bought the latest quadcore for 2007 and with 8800gtx sli. Was badass then but shortly after Call of Jaurez came out with a directx10 patch and barely ran at those settings. That was aggravating.

Then I upgraded to sli 9800gx2's for another grand. Helped out some but it wasn't worth $1000. Then more directx10 games came out that struggled at 1920x1200 with settings described. So then I upgraded the cards to sli 280s. That was a good run but still some games struggled and it just didn't make sense anymore.

Don't school me on hardware enthusiasm. When I play pc games I wanted the best I could possibly get. If I demanded those framerates and settings then no, I couldn't settle for lower 3d cards. Maybe you are fine with lower framerates and lower settings, but then you've already crossed over into the world of consoles ...which I ultimately decided to do.

I'm not bashing pc. The graphics are superior, but it does cost a fortune to run the latest games at high resolution with FSAA and ANISO at 60fps. Don't bullsh** me here. I've been a pc gamer for 15 years. Built my first pc when I was 13. Whenever you sli brand new latest nvidia cards THAT ALONE is over a grand. But maybe on your pc you settle for less like console gamers do. Maybe you are not an enthusiast. Good for you. For me if I'm lowering settings then what's the point? Give me a friggin' controller then.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-11, 08:31 AM   #45
FearMeAll

Quote:
I would say that its stupidity to get ONE pc for more than 1500$.
1500$pc shoul be enough for 2 years. And every new game isnt going to use it 100%
So what the point of spending 3k every year?
Sli alone on the latest cards is over $1000 so yeah...maybe you don't like sli. A good power supply to run these power hungry cards can run almost 200 dollars. When you spend that much on the cards you don't want a low quality power supply to burn them up. So now for that 1500 dollar pc that will kick ass for 2 years you have 300 dollars left for motherboard, lots of ddr3 ram, hard drive, bd drive or burner, and cpu that will be powerful enough to fully use sli(no $80 cpu is going to do that no matter how much one dreams). Hopefully also you have a nice case and maybe a nice monitor as well. God help you if you want to play in 3d.

Having built these pc's they all start to struggle with new games in as short a time as 6 months. It has happened over and over again.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:35 AM   #46
Destroy

Problem is developers trying to blanket a game to cover all markets, it doesn't work that way.

PC market is different than console market, sorta like Mercedes Benz customers are different than Ford owners.

It's not unjustified whining and bitching, PC people demand and expect more.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 09:02 AM   #47
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Aside from this board, because I don't know anyone here personally, everyone I know that has gamed on the PC has abandoned it and now has a Xbox 360 or PS3 (or both). They just have a Mac laptop or Windows PC/Laptop and just use that for Facebook now.
I've thought many times about ditching the PC gaming scene and just getting a X360/PS3 for my gaming fix. But I still prefer KBM for controls (minus racing and action games). If only consoles allowed KBM, I would've switched a long time ago. I'm actually considering getting a console since I'm missing out on games like Madden, LBP, etc.

Just sometimes feel like a sucker because I spent a lot of money on my PC, get crappy ports with crap graphics, no REAL post-launch support (patches and bug fixes), and nice little crashes from GFWL. Just not cool IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 10:59 AM   #48
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy
It's not unjustified whining and bitching, PC people demand and expect more.
True, but we're talking about the PC market, which also needs a bit of stabilization, and by stabilization I mean titles able to put some load on today's hardware but NOT THAT MUCH. We can't say the PC arena is for that, for allways cranking up to eleven. That's just non-sensical, and even mediocre, depending on who subscribes it...

At the same time, it can't be like it is lately... A dumbed down port each 3 'AAA' titles or even 2 (so we get between 30-50% of crappy ported games into the PC realm) is something to piss off anyone.

The real problem is... where to settle? Because you can't always crank it up to eleven. Companies are there for the money, don't get the idea wrong... a company has investors, and investors don't give a f**k about how good or bad the game is, just the numbers (the developer team (in the beginning, at least) and you, and me, and every end-user out there is the only real crowd caring for the overall result, quality-wise).

And, in this case, freedom of choice doesn't help any single bit... there's so many different graphics cards, sound cards, CPUs, hard disks and technologies... it's almost impossible to settle for anything and offer developers a kind-of 'common' base platform to work with... because our beloved PC market is too fragmented...
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote