Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-11, 12:01 PM   #49
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
If only consoles allowed KBM, I would've switched a long time ago. I'm actually considering getting a console since I'm missing out on games like Madden, LBP, etc.
Like I told grey_1, you have an alternative... it's not 100% perfect, but almost... XIM3 (for XBOX 360)
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 12:11 PM   #50
Yaboze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I've thought many times about ditching the PC gaming scene and just getting a X360/PS3 for my gaming fix. But I still prefer KBM for controls (minus racing and action games). If only consoles allowed KBM, I would've switched a long time ago. I'm actually considering getting a console since I'm missing out on games like Madden, LBP, etc.

Just sometimes feel like a sucker because I spent a lot of money on my PC, get crappy ports with crap graphics, no REAL post-launch support (patches and bug fixes), and nice little crashes from GFWL. Just not cool IMO.
I like KBM as well, especially for shooters.

My ex-PC gamer friends basically say this; "I don't have to deal with finding updates (games auto patch), dealing with compatibility and I get to play on a big HD TV. I put the game in and go. I don't care about frame rates or AA, I just want to have fun. I can play online and use a voice headset in or out of game (on the 360). The best part is I don't have to upgrade every year or worry if I have enough CPU, RAM or if my graphics card supports DX10, 11 or 12."
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 12:30 PM   #51
HiCZoK4
 
HiCZoK4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,467
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I like KBM as well, especially for shooters.

My ex-PC gamer friends basically say this; "I don't have to deal with finding updates (games auto patch), dealing with compatibility and I get to play on a big HD TV. I put the game in and go. I don't care about frame rates or AA, I just want to have fun. I can play online and use a voice headset in or out of game (on the 360). The best part is I don't have to upgrade every year or worry if I have enough CPU, RAM or if my graphics card supports DX10, 11 or 12."
Thats all true... But even on my pc which is 4yo I get almost 60fps in every game (2xfps of console), better graphics and resolution, mods...etc. And on PC games also autoupdate + i can just install nocd crack/patch and not have to deal with keeping dvd in drive.
Controls are personal taste. I can have as much fun with controller as if keyboard and mouse + Controller is more comfortable (at least in a couch positions)

Still. Even that PC have many advantages, I have found myself playing only on xbox 360 (over last whole year). Idk... I feel somehow better treated on console than as a gamer on a pc. until now. Nowadays pc are regaining health/power/position becouse consoles are too weak and slow to keep up.

+If I would have to choose PC or CONSOLE. I think I would Choose console, becouse much great games doesnt get released on the PC. Like The Darkness, Gears of war2, God of Warm Uncharted, Demon Souls, Enslaved etc

edit: When I was young, I made myself a statement that DUKE NUKEM FOREVER will be my LAST pc game, becouse DN3d was my first game on my own pc.
Few Years ago this would be true with consoles being supreme. Now not so much:P I am getting DNF collectors edition FOR PC
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:37 PM   #52
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I like KBM as well, especially for shooters.

My ex-PC gamer friends basically say this; "I don't have to deal with finding updates (games auto patch), dealing with compatibility and I get to play on a big HD TV. I put the game in and go. I don't care about frame rates or AA, I just want to have fun. I can play online and use a voice headset in or out of game (on the 360). The best part is I don't have to upgrade every year or worry if I have enough CPU, RAM or if my graphics card supports DX10, 11 or 12."
This. I'm almost to the point to where I just want to throw in a disc and just play. The X360 has matured since the last time I owned one (3 years ago I think) so I think I may go back to it and just keep my gaming PC going as long as it will last.

I priced a new gaming PC this weekend and it came to a little over $1K; this is for a mid grade AMD quadcore, 8GB RAM, 560ti machine, nothing real hardcore. Why not just spend $200 on the X360 and a few games?

I'm going to have to talk myself into buying anything but if I want to do more gaming, I'm pretty much better off going with a console. Kinda sad in a lot of ways
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:50 PM   #53
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

What new about that in regard to consoles? If you just want to stick a disk in and play well, do it but there is nothing new in doing that.

More than not the PC version is better anyway, the games just doesn't use the PC's power as good as they should. Just because PC gamers moan a lot doesn't mean we get a worse experience than consoles, it's just we are used to a much better one than the consoles.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 03:18 PM   #54
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I'm going to have to talk myself into buying anything but if I want to do more gaming, I'm pretty much better off going with a console. Kinda sad in a lot of ways
It's not that sad... you're thinking on what's the better option for you... and that's ok!

No one said quality gaming has to be done only on the PC, quality is seen in many ways... if you look for high-resolution textures and everything, yes... you will feel a bit sad about going to a console, but hey... there's other factors to take into account... ease of use is something that's also valuable (as in not having to dive in a plethora of graphics options and some other things...).

So let's try to make a fair list of PROs and CONs on the endless PC vs console debate:

PROS
  • Cheap on purchase ($200-$300 and you're on the go)
  • Easy to configure (Basic I/O, Profile, Media and Accounting info and... that's about it)
  • Easy to update (Either automatically or even with a USB stick with the new firmware and voilá!)
  • Works out of the box (no software installation except, optionally, the firmware updates)
  • Lower power output profile (92-95W for the PS3 Slim, 80-84W for the XBOX 360 Slim)
  • A specifically tailored machine for gaming, so there's (theoretically) no unoptimized code running on it (but this depends)
  • Available servicing & support (you don't usually have the same service on a PC, even less on a custom-made one)

CONS
  • Quite old hardware compared to a modern PC (of any tier)
  • 30 FPS 'limit' (regardless of HD/FullHD output)
  • Playing an FPS with a controller is... well... different (a matter of taste and getting accustomed, in the end, but still...)
  • Higher price delta for any given title on launch ($10-20+ per title)
  • Not every single game can be purchased digitally (for some of them, it's disc-or-disc)
  • Higher loading times (optimizable up to a certain point, but still...)
  • No third-party software available (it's a console, not a computer, but still...)

So... all in all, it all leads to a single choice... console or PC, you decide

I don't know if this could help you but, let me tell you something: I'm in the same situation, and I mean...

I've been asking lately about some parts like an Intel processor, a motherboard... because I honestly prefer to build a PC instead of going the console route BUT I'm quite tired of spending some hard earned money on a machine which gets itself outdated 6 months later, plus the myriad of problems associated with it (like motherboards + memory modules combination and the like...). I just want to sit comfortably in my chair or the sofa and play the games I want like Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R. 2, Fallout 3, Crysis 2, Resident Evil 5, etc., etc.

My personal problem is I need a single appliance for (almost) everything. Right now my laptop serves the purpose but I also need some gaming (my flatmate's PS3 is doing wonders in that sense, and it's partially responsible for my actual concerns haha, it had to be said...).

Actually, I've spent like... 800 euros (in your same scale... $800) in PC games since some years ago (being Half-Life 2 the first I bought and some others came the same way, up to the 50 games I own now on Steam) and I'm not regretting it, but I wouldn't want to spend the same to get my 'old' games on a console (plus some of them (like Doom 3, for example) are not playable on current consoles (or maybe I'm wrong... is Doom 3 compatible with XBOX 360?)) but, at the same time, I'm tired of having to worry about if some game will run fine or not on my PC, which is not a problem on a console... 30 FPS isn't that bad or ugly-looking (Dead Space 2 on my flatmate's 42" plasma display @ 1080p on the PS3 runs like heaven, no stuttering, not anything) but... it's not the 60+ FPS we can get on a PC for the same title (with the correct settings and hardware, that's it).

So... for now... building a PC wins (but not by a very wide margin, more like... 60-40) but I don't really know... consoles are a pretty attractive option, a PS3 or an XBOX 360 and a good TV isn't that expensive nowadays (plus console packs gives you a game or two for a little extra cash, and you don't start your adventure without games), so... we'll see...

I hope I threw some light into your concerns. If not... I'm sorry
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:09 PM   #55
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,728
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Its misleading because the console crowd thinks it's for them... when we see AA and AF we know it's not. Then again, its not like they will complain it's their parents money....
It was their parents money when they were bought their first 360 @14 but now they are 19 with a job and money of their own, the "Footage taken from PC version" flashing on their TV screen is a subliminal message telling them the 5 year old technology they own is outdated and they need to buy something more awesome.

Not everyone who grew up with consoles is a Zealot

Take heed for this is truly the end of days

IT IS NIGH! no, not srsly
__________________
2500K 4.7ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 8gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:26 PM   #56
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
It's not that sad... you're thinking on what's the better option for you... and that's ok!

No one said quality gaming has to be done only on the PC, quality is seen in many ways... if you look for high-resolution textures and everything, yes... you will feel a bit sad about going to a console, but hey... there's other factors to take into account... ease of use is something that's also valuable (as in not having to dive in a plethora of graphics options and some other things...).

So let's try to make a fair list of PROs and CONs on the endless PC vs console debate:

PROS
  • Cheap on purchase ($200-$300 and you're on the go)
  • Easy to configure (Basic I/O, Profile, Media and Accounting info and... that's about it)
  • Easy to update (Either automatically or even with a USB stick with the new firmware and voilá!)
  • Works out of the box (no software installation except, optionally, the firmware updates)
  • Lower power output profile (92-95W for the PS3 Slim, 80-84W for the XBOX 360 Slim)
  • A specifically tailored machine for gaming, so there's (theoretically) no unoptimized code running on it (but this depends)
  • Available servicing & support (you don't usually have the same service on a PC, even less on a custom-made one)

CONS
  • Quite old hardware compared to a modern PC (of any tier)
  • 30 FPS 'limit' (regardless of HD/FullHD output)
  • Playing an FPS with a controller is... well... different (a matter of taste and getting accustomed, in the end, but still...)
  • Higher price delta for any given title on launch ($10-20+ per title)
  • Not every single game can be purchased digitally (for some of them, it's disc-or-disc)
  • Higher loading times (optimizable up to a certain point, but still...)
  • No third-party software available (it's a console, not a computer, but still...)

So... all in all, it all leads to a single choice... console or PC, you decide

I don't know if this could help you but, let me tell you something: I'm in the same situation, and I mean...

I've been asking lately about some parts like an Intel processor, a motherboard... because I honestly prefer to build a PC instead of going the console route BUT I'm quite tired of spending some hard earned money on a machine which gets itself outdated 6 months later, plus the myriad of problems associated with it (like motherboards + memory modules combination and the like...). I just want to sit comfortably in my chair or the sofa and play the games I want like Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R. 2, Fallout 3, Crysis 2, Resident Evil 5, etc., etc.

My personal problem is I need a single appliance for (almost) everything. Right now my laptop serves the purpose but I also need some gaming (my flatmate's PS3 is doing wonders in that sense, and it's partially responsible for my actual concerns haha, it had to be said...).

Actually, I've spent like... 800 euros (in your same scale... $800) in PC games since some years ago (being Half-Life 2 the first I bought and some others came the same way, up to the 50 games I own now on Steam) and I'm not regretting it, but I wouldn't want to spend the same to get my 'old' games on a console (plus some of them (like Doom 3, for example) are not playable on current consoles (or maybe I'm wrong... is Doom 3 compatible with XBOX 360?)) but, at the same time, I'm tired of having to worry about if some game will run fine or not on my PC, which is not a problem on a console... 30 FPS isn't that bad or ugly-looking (Dead Space 2 on my flatmate's 42" plasma display @ 1080p on the PS3 runs like heaven, no stuttering, not anything) but... it's not the 60+ FPS we can get on a PC for the same title (with the correct settings and hardware, that's it).

So... for now... building a PC wins (but not by a very wide margin, more like... 60-40) but I don't really know... consoles are a pretty attractive option, a PS3 or an XBOX 360 and a good TV isn't that expensive nowadays (plus console packs gives you a game or two for a little extra cash, and you don't start your adventure without games), so... we'll see...

I hope I threw some light into your concerns. If not... I'm sorry
Weird... I'm PRETTY sure I've played console games at 60 fps.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-11, 05:33 PM   #57
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Weird... I'm PRETTY sure I've played console games at 60 fps.
At 1080p?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:37 PM   #58
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There are multiple games that do.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:40 PM   #59
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
...the "Footage taken from PC version" flashing on their TV screen is a subliminal message telling them the 5 year old technology they own is outdated and they need to buy something more awesome.
Nah, that's just bulls**t, not from your part (don't take me wrong...) but as a concept... those people now with a job and money of their own could buy many things, but what? that depends on their point of view...

Those who have spent years and years of console gaming will probably (still) go the console route because they feel comfortable at it and they still enjoy trouble-free operation (not like the PC is plagued with problems, a couple of quirks here and there but that's about it, and still... the console shows a full absence in that sense).

Or... like you say, they could get a PC because they want something 'better'. The problem is the way you think about 'better' at the time of writing, which makes the post look like 'better = PC-like visuals', which is fine if you think like that, although there's far more 'detail' into it than just pure visuals.

Visuals are just ONE part of the equation... many good games lack DLC content on PC or lack a proper service once deployed. What can you offer to those people who you think they should get a PC?

That's the question...
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 05:42 PM   #60
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
There are multiple games that do.
Ok, in that case... one less CON point for the consoles
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.