Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-11, 04:44 PM   #61
Sean_W

Default Re: 12 Ways Console Games are Hurting PC Games

We all know they don't play at 1080p, but upscaled and low to medium detail.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:16 PM   #62
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
It's not that sad... you're thinking on what's the better option for you... and that's ok!

No one said quality gaming has to be done only on the PC, quality is seen in many ways... if you look for high-resolution textures and everything, yes... you will feel a bit sad about going to a console, but hey... there's other factors to take into account... ease of use is something that's also valuable (as in not having to dive in a plethora of graphics options and some other things...).

So let's try to make a fair list of PROs and CONs on the endless PC vs console debate:

PROS
  • Cheap on purchase ($200-$300 and you're on the go)
  • Easy to configure (Basic I/O, Profile, Media and Accounting info and... that's about it)
  • Easy to update (Either automatically or even with a USB stick with the new firmware and voilá!)
  • Works out of the box (no software installation except, optionally, the firmware updates)
  • Lower power output profile (92-95W for the PS3 Slim, 80-84W for the XBOX 360 Slim)
  • A specifically tailored machine for gaming, so there's (theoretically) no unoptimized code running on it (but this depends)
  • Available servicing & support (you don't usually have the same service on a PC, even less on a custom-made one)

CONS
  • Quite old hardware compared to a modern PC (of any tier)
  • 30 FPS 'limit' (regardless of HD/FullHD output)
  • Playing an FPS with a controller is... well... different (a matter of taste and getting accustomed, in the end, but still...)
  • Higher price delta for any given title on launch ($10-20+ per title)
  • Not every single game can be purchased digitally (for some of them, it's disc-or-disc)
  • Higher loading times (optimizable up to a certain point, but still...)
  • No third-party software available (it's a console, not a computer, but still...)

So... all in all, it all leads to a single choice... console or PC, you decide

I don't know if this could help you but, let me tell you something: I'm in the same situation, and I mean...

I've been asking lately about some parts like an Intel processor, a motherboard... because I honestly prefer to build a PC instead of going the console route BUT I'm quite tired of spending some hard earned money on a machine which gets itself outdated 6 months later, plus the myriad of problems associated with it (like motherboards + memory modules combination and the like...). I just want to sit comfortably in my chair or the sofa and play the games I want like Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R. 2, Fallout 3, Crysis 2, Resident Evil 5, etc., etc.

My personal problem is I need a single appliance for (almost) everything. Right now my laptop serves the purpose but I also need some gaming (my flatmate's PS3 is doing wonders in that sense, and it's partially responsible for my actual concerns haha, it had to be said...).

Actually, I've spent like... 800 euros (in your same scale... $800) in PC games since some years ago (being Half-Life 2 the first I bought and some others came the same way, up to the 50 games I own now on Steam) and I'm not regretting it, but I wouldn't want to spend the same to get my 'old' games on a console (plus some of them (like Doom 3, for example) are not playable on current consoles (or maybe I'm wrong... is Doom 3 compatible with XBOX 360?)) but, at the same time, I'm tired of having to worry about if some game will run fine or not on my PC, which is not a problem on a console... 30 FPS isn't that bad or ugly-looking (Dead Space 2 on my flatmate's 42" plasma display @ 1080p on the PS3 runs like heaven, no stuttering, not anything) but... it's not the 60+ FPS we can get on a PC for the same title (with the correct settings and hardware, that's it).

So... for now... building a PC wins (but not by a very wide margin, more like... 60-40) but I don't really know... consoles are a pretty attractive option, a PS3 or an XBOX 360 and a good TV isn't that expensive nowadays (plus console packs gives you a game or two for a little extra cash, and you don't start your adventure without games), so... we'll see...

I hope I threw some light into your concerns. If not... I'm sorry
Great post man, I totally agree on all your points.

I just think that devs are focusing more on consoles and it honestly shows; anyone can tell by looking at the outcome of these horrible PC games that we call "ports". We just don't get the PC-quality that we used to get and it honestly pisses me off. Not saying that playing consoles are just horrible by any means. If I pay a good amount of money on a good gaming PC, I expect most games to be better graphically/performance wise by 50% at least, not just a small 5%-10% boost. Does anyone else not expect to get what they pay for?

Valve knows how to make a quality PC game. HL2, TF2, Portal, etc, those are games that were truly made for the PC, not just thrown together. Crysis? Sure, it's a decent benchmark tool and can be fun from time to time. GTA4? Gears of War? No way.

As for the mods, I honestly don't and haven't play/played enough mods to really care.

Dedicated servers? It almost seems like a thing of the past in some ways. A lot of people I know play the XBL approach for multiplayer and they have hardly any issues. Yes XBL costs money but it's the price I guess I can pay to play with my friends from work.

I don't plan on doing anything like purchasing a console for a little while, not until another great game comes out that I really want. I'll probably get Battlefield 3 for the PC, depending on the outcome.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:20 PM   #63
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Nah, that's just bulls**t, not from your part (don't take me wrong...) but as a concept... those people now with a job and money of their own could buy many things, but what? that depends on their point of view...

Those who have spent years and years of console gaming will probably (still) go the console route because they feel comfortable at it and they still enjoy trouble-free operation (not like the PC is plagued with problems, a couple of quirks here and there but that's about it, and still... the console shows a full absence in that sense).

Or... like you say, they could get a PC because they want something 'better'. The problem is the way you think about 'better' at the time of writing, which makes the post look like 'better = PC-like visuals', which is fine if you think like that, although there's far more 'detail' into it than just pure visuals.

Visuals are just ONE part of the equation... many good games lack DLC content on PC or lack a proper service once deployed. What can you offer to those people who you think they should get a PC?

That's the question...
Thats well written. +Damn good english
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:04 PM   #64
HiCZoK4

Adding to this really good discussion we have here - I will give my point of view on couple of things mentioned here, that I experienced or have my opinion about. Please notice, I have my pc and 360 hooked up to the same 22' lcd monitor

-30fps limit on consoles - Most of games do 30fps. TRUE. only some do 60 like call of duty or burnout. 30fps isnt much eh? To say at least.... Its really hard to notice without other screen next to playing game at 60fps. Analog controlls on gamepad make 30fps feel fluid as butter.
For example. Ive Mass Effect2 for Console and friend lend me ME2 for pc. I finished both.
On pc I had to play in 1280x800(high details and 2xaa) and my framerate was around 40-60... While anything below ~50 felt choppy and somehow out of place compared to full 60ty
Then console version works 30fps and it feels likea butter. Controls are smooth etc. And graphics are the same, becouse it runs 1280x720. There was a difference when I was running both version at the same time switching outputs in the monitor, but other than that my eyes and brain accomodate to 30fps after matter of minutes.

-1080p - LIE. Ive never seen a game doing that on 360. Most games do 1280x720 or even lower. Also most of games have at least 2xaa and mostly no af. But difference is quite hard to notice(but noticable) even for me switching screen outputs on the same games. Again - Most of console gamers sit in a distant couch in front of 42' HD TV... so no way to see any details in graphics. I personally hate that. I cant see more than 1meter from the screen. I like playing 360 just as I do use my pc. At the desk(kinda)

-Noise - 360 with installed games to hdd makes almost zero noise, while my pc's fans to 2500rpm to keep that 60degree temps cool making it sound like an power plant (I like it somehow:P)

I agree with everything else. price is lower, games are more stable, its simple to use. Just plug and play. Controller is comfy. Hell... I even like to play F.E.A.R on 360, while I always had problems with that damn game on pc(sound, fps etc no matter what pc-I finished it million times despite that)

Its not like we have a choice do we? When games arent coming to pc at all... or we get a crippled version with analog -> mouse crappy port every month, console is a must for gamer. At least if You dont feel enough fullfilment with Your pc, I suggest going through the list of 360 and PS3 games to check out what is PC missing.

Still. Its middle/End of this console cycle. Now my crystalball is seeing rising pc position until next console gen.
Old 04-03-11, 11:50 PM   #65
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

PC enthusiasts are primarly motivated by playing their PC, not just to play games.

A guy who goes for a sunday drive in his BMW is enjoying driving his BMW, it's not about getting from point A to B.

You wouldn't discuss the pros and cons of driving the BMW vs catching the bus with the BMW driver. Even if the bus is cheaper, faster and easier, that's not the point. the point is to drive the damn car. same with PC enthusiasts.

If you are just into playing games then you can probably get used to a console pretty quick.

me, I mainly play games like online FPS and epic strategy games like Empire: Total War. I feel these games are better suited to the PC. Sure many of you can play MW2 with a controller but I can't - It's frustrating and horrible for me. While I'm leet with a mouse and KB. and could you imagine playing Empire: total war on a console?
Old 04-04-11, 02:33 AM   #66
HiCZoK4

good point.
And no. I could not imagine total war on console as well as Starcraft etc
Old 04-04-11, 04:22 AM   #67
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
good point.
And no. I could not imagine total war on console as well as Starcraft etc
Just wait until console owners adapt to it and then claim like FPS games that the controller is good for them.

Controllers are horrible for FPS games, end of story. Auto aim is like having your own aimbot.
Old 04-04-11, 12:23 PM   #68
Logical

lol at 12 ways when you only need 1 example..Crysis 2.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-11, 02:11 PM   #69
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Visuals are just ONE part of the equation... many good games lack DLC content on PC or lack a proper service once deployed. What can you offer to those people who you think they should get a PC?

That's the question...
The answer is one-upmanship, You cant get that with console hardware as they are all the same. NO SRSLY , IM NOT BEING SRS!!!
It is human nature to want to better our peers and crush them with our awesome.

GANGSTER PRO!
Old 04-04-11, 02:18 PM   #70
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
PC enthusiasts are primarily motivated by playing their PC, not just to play games.

A guy who goes for a Sunday drive in his BMW is enjoying driving his BMW, it's not about getting from point A to B.
Excellent point. Problem is, from the business side, passion doesn't bills any more.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 03:11 PM   #71
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
We all know they don't play at 1080p, but upscaled and low to medium detail.
PS3 has 1080p games that run at full 1920x1080 resolution.

http://community.us.playstation.com/...art=0&tstart=0

That link is from 2.5 years ago, too. There are many more now.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 04:37 PM   #72
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
PS3 has 1080p games that run at full 1920x1080 resolution.

http://community.us.playstation.com/...art=0&tstart=0

That link is from 2.5 years ago, too. There are many more now.
Yeah, games run at native but not the FPS games. If a PS3 cannot run driving and fighting games at 1080p then it's a bunch of crap. Most are upscaled.