Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-11, 08:37 AM   #13
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Considering 2600 vs 2600k? Don't.

Regardless, those are high temps. How long have you had these temps?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:48 AM   #14
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Regardless, those are high temps. How long have you had these temps?
I originally bought the CPU and Motherboard about three weeks ago. But there was some sort of flaw in the CPU socket that resulted in the CPU scorching. Pins literally burned and disappeared! I usually blame myself for such screw ups, but the pins were missing in the very middle on one of the "side-o-pins".

I finally got the parts back from RMA on Friday and put the box together on Saturday. Because my idle temps are reasonable, I know its not a sensor issue. The processor and heatsink are both very level. There is no play in the heatsink when it's mounted. Also, I've even taken the heatsink off, applied AS5, rotated, and repeated a couple times. The AS5 did knock the temps down about 5c, but I'm sure the measly heatsink is the issue. It's just waaaay too small to dissipate that much heat.

The only reason we're not hearing about this more is because I'm the only sucker to buy the non-K model on the entire internet.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:34 AM   #15
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Maybe you shouldn't rule out the possibility for the CPU to be defective. Not trying to say it is, but... maybe. Electronic manufacturing is quite complex nowadays and even with the plethora of inspection methods we have at hand, some defects don't get catched on-site.

Could be just that, a matter of the heatsink being ineffective for your CPU but if the problem keeps being there, maybe you should consider the option to RMA it.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:47 AM   #16
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Maybe you shouldn't rule out the possibility for the CPU to be defective. Not trying to say it is, but... maybe. Electronic manufacturing is quite complex nowadays and even with the plethora of inspection methods we have at hand, some defects don't get catched on-site.

Could be just that, a matter of the heatsink being ineffective for your CPU but if the problem keeps being there, maybe you should consider the option to RMA it.
Absolutely true. I've got the Hyper 212+ ordered. If the temperatures don't drop dramatically, I'll be looking at an RMA.
Old 04-04-11, 10:22 AM   #17
Bman212121

I'd bet it's just an inadequate cooler. 60C is honestly the norm for a boxed cooler, and when running a high workload like P95 I could see it going up. However there is no way I'd let a CPU run at 80C+ at all. We could argue all day about how it might be rated for 100C and how GPUs run that hot, but I've had a couple of high end GPUs that would run those temps and both of them are dead after only 3 years.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 12:53 PM   #18
nemecb

Ditto on the "just say no to 87 C temps". Heck, my Q6600 didn't get that hot when my CPU fan died and it was running Folding. Granted, I'm not running the stock cooler, but I'm also overclocked quite a bit.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 01:26 PM   #19
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Actually, the 2600K does not come with the tower cooler. The couple reviewers ONLY got the tower cooler. The tower cooler only comes with extreme edition cpus. You should fix your thread to reflect the correct information.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 01:32 PM   #20
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Absolutely not. You shouldn't be seeing temps that high on a stock 2600, not even close.

That's absurd.

A non-overclocked chip should in no way be running at 80c+ regardless of the cooling. The stock cooler for the 2600k will let you go above 4ghz and still stay in the 60c range (and no, not in a freezing room), which makes me think something was off with his 2600 cooler even with it being smaller.

87c is not fine for a stock clocked 2600. The only people I've seen hitting 80c+ are people running at 5ghz or higher using crazy voltages and even then most people feel this is too high. There sure as hell isn't anyone I know willing to let their CPU run at anywhere close to 99c.
It's hot, but it's within spec. If the cpu dies from it, which it won't, he has a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Finally, the TJ MAX on the SB is 98c so telling people they can run one at 99c for 5 years is horrible advice. Hell, even the stuff you linked says it works at ~85-90°C, not 100c, and I wouldn't run it that high for more than a couple of minutes.
I said 99c because he mentioned 99c. Way to nit pick. I figured he knew the correct temp so I didn't decide to look it up.

Also, about the TIM it says 90-100c, for my application. learn to read. 1366's throttle at 99c so it happens to stay at 99c...

http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/docs/in...tremeclean.pdf

Old 04-04-11, 02:38 PM   #21
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Actually, the 2600K does not come with the tower cooler. The couple reviewers ONLY got the tower cooler. The tower cooler only comes with extreme edition cpus. You should fix your thread to reflect the correct information.
You're right. Let me fix that. That makes me think there is something seriously screwed up with my setup.
Old 04-04-11, 02:50 PM   #22
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
You're right. Let me fix that. That makes me think there is something seriously screwed up with my setup.
Maybe you just have really poor airflow. Or your ambient temp is high.
Old 04-04-11, 03:00 PM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Maybe you just have really poor airflow. Or your ambient temp is high.
This is the most probably answer imo. My old case had terrible airflow and no matter what cooler or paste I used, temperatures were high.

Take the side off of your case and put a fan blowing cold/ambient air directly into your cooler and see what your temps are like.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 05:31 PM   #24
Q

Well, I feel a bit vin86dicated. You guys had me worried that I didn't know how to create proper air flow in the case. I worked as a PC technician for years and have been a Systems Admin for over 2 years. I was afraid my skills were degrading!

(They ARE degrading... but not that badly, I hope)

Attached, you'll find pictures of my cabling. It isn't "UBER GAMER L33T", but its mostly clutter free. You can see the bottom 120 and the top 3 120mm fans if you look closely. All are pushing at full blast.

So, I after I took the first pictures, I put the ultra-vortex-room-cooling fan directly on the case, and took another picture. (As proof to you heathens!) I then fired up Prime 95 for two minutes. See temps.

Last edited by Q; 07-31-11 at 09:23 PM.