Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-11, 07:46 AM   #1
joegiampaoli

Default RT Kernel

I really wish NVIDIA would support the RT Kernels more, it's amazing that the power of the LINUX Pro Studio recording is so undervalued, which is my main workflow, actually it could be "The Best Audio OS" since it's the only one (compared to win and mac) that you can tweak and modify it's kernel for real time low latencies for pro audio work.

Please give us a little more support on this one with drivers that DO install/compile to latest rt Kernels.

From a professional user who asks for a little more professional support.....
joegiampaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 05:16 PM   #2
joegiampaoli

Default Re: RT Kernel

I just want to add that I do have an RT-Kernel (2.6.31.4-rt14) and latest Nvidia 260.19.44 and all is working fine. But I've been trying to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.33.7.2-rt30 and the only thing that stops me is the Nvidia Driver because it just keeps failing to compile it's module, I mean Kernel 2.6.33.7.2-rt30 is like almost 5 months old now, and still no Nvidia support for it???

I've like already tried 3 driver updates that fail to compile......
Old 04-06-11, 07:33 AM   #3
ngoonee

Go to http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31123

Download the tarball, extract it, there's a patch there for compiling the beta driver for 2.6.33.* rt-patched kernels.
ngoonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 11:22 PM   #4
joegiampaoli

Thank you for your reply, and I really appreciate your help on this, the point is that Nvidia is who should provide this kind of support. Being such a monster on computer hardware I still don't understand why they ignore the importance of a custom RT kernel and its power, providing drivers for basic Desktop usage is not what I would call a lot of support from their part.....

I'll give the patch a go, but, the thing is that I have a blog where I explain people, mostly new users on how to compile their custom kernel for Pro-Audio, and it's quite complicated already, if I add more patching instructions for those who need newer Nvidia drivers, they will go nuts, probably even just flip away from the guide, when all I'm trying to do is update the guide for the newest RT kernel, but, what about those who also use Nvidia cards (like me!) then...?

You can see my guide here and see why all this fuzz and why I'm being such an ass:

http://www.joegiampaoli.com/blog/?p=462
Old 04-21-11, 03:22 AM   #5
ngoonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegiampaoli View Post
Thank you for your reply, and I really appreciate your help on this, the point is that Nvidia is who should provide this kind of support. Being such a monster on computer hardware I still don't understand why they ignore the importance of a custom RT kernel and its power, providing drivers for basic Desktop usage is not what I would call a lot of support from their part.....
They have no obligation to do this, since the rt-patch is non-optimal and in no way related to the nvidia driver. In fact, those looking for pro-audio use should IMO dump nvidia and use nouveau, I've seen reports of xruns caused by the binary (which are impossible to debug since its closed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegiampaoli View Post
I'll give the patch a go, but, the thing is that I have a blog where I explain people, mostly new users on how to compile their custom kernel for Pro-Audio, and it's quite complicated already, if I add more patching instructions for those who need newer Nvidia drivers, they will go nuts, probably even just flip away from the guide, when all I'm trying to do is update the guide for the newest RT kernel, but, what about those who also use Nvidia cards (like me!) then...?

You can see my guide here and see why all this fuzz and why I'm being such an ass:

http://www.joegiampaoli.com/blog/?p=462
Not wanting to be mean or anything, but you're doing it wrong. If users are technically proficient enough to patch and compile a kernel, doing the same for the nvidia drivers will not be a problem. Conversely, if they're not that technically proficient (or interested) you should simply ask them to use one of the pro-audio distros (there are several), where presumably all the work would have already been done for them. I used to use ubuntu studio, and there's of course dyneabolic (sp?) and similar.

In fact, you shouldn't even need to be using the rt-patch with modern hardware and the latest kernels. 2.6.37/38, especially with the BFS patchset, should be acceptable for most pro-audio purposes.
ngoonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 02:37 PM   #6
joegiampaoli

Well, I'm really not doing it wrong, actually it's not about right/wrong, if you read my blog (from start to end) I give people support to run a USB audio device in Linux @ 24 bit up to 96000 KHz, giving the USB audio device a high IRQ priority, that is why the RT patch, to assign different IRQ levels, not to push the machine to its limits, all this can only be achieved in a MAC-Win system with the official drivers for that device, 24 bit is not supported for this device on any other PRO Linux Distro such as Ubuntu Studio (which I believe is a very poor distro for audio scenario).

But thanks anyway......
Old 04-26-11, 03:04 PM   #7
coin-op-console

Have you tried the 2.6.38-lowlatency kernel from this ppa?:

https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa

It works very well for low latency audio and has no problems with the nvidia drivers.
coin-op-console is offline   Reply With Quote