Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-11, 11:30 PM   #1
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default I hate lightning...

I have been the victim of a lightning strike. Fortunately, it didn't take out either of our computers or TVs. I did take out a surge protector, my router, and the ethernet port on our modem. Therefore, it's going to cost me roughly $100 to replace the router and surge protector. FML.

the good news is that the modem was a rental from the cable company, so that's getting replaced for free. The bad news is I have no internet. I'm typing this from a mcdonalds parking lot.

That's the last time that I leave my computer hardware plugged in during a thunder storm. It could have been a lot worse than it was, but I can't afford another expense like this...

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:36 PM   #2
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default Re: I hate lightning...

don't worry, when I was less experienced in the pc world, I killed my dad's pc by not turning off the kill switch on the power supply of his pentium 3 pc. Should have seen the arc coming from the plug to the psu. Dad was a little upset but was happy to have an excuse to upgrade to pentium 4.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:39 PM   #3
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post

the good news is that the modem was a rental from the cable company, so that's getting replaced for free. The bad news is I have no internet. I'm typing this from a mcdonalds parking lot.
buy some health food
we have had massive storms, i always leave sh*t plugged in, and nothing died so far...i am playing with fire.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:44 PM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien

You should be glad the surge protector did it's job. Mine didn't when the neutral line to our house broke and sent 220v to everything in the house. Basically, everything that didn't accept 220v naturally died. Only things that survived was my laptop and my monitor. Yay for homeowners insurance.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:38 AM   #5
FlakMagnet

My Dad was even more unlucky!!!

He was playing golf and got struck by lightning. It wasn't even raining at the time. He survived, but only by chance. He was taken to a local hospital who examined him and were happy to send him home as he looked fine from the outside. That same evening, his story was seen on the news by a doctor from a special burns unit some miles away, wondering why he had not been admitted there. He contacted the local hospital and got him transferred immediately. He stayed there for 6 weeks suffering from 13% internal burns. If the doctor had not been watching the news, my Dad would not be here today.

The funny thing is (this was many years ago, so can laugh now), he was supposed to be at work and had 'pulled a sicky' to go play golf I guess God had the last laugh on that decision

P.S. My Dad doesn't like lightning any more either.
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 11:04 AM   #6
westom

Quote:
I have been the victim of a lightning strike. Fortunately, it didn't take out either of our computers or TVs. I did take out a surge protector, my router, and the ethernet port on our modem.
Time to start learning what protectors really do. View its spec numbers. Power strip protectors do not claim to protect from typically destructive surges. Worse, it can sometimes make damage easier.

Your may be a perfect example. You all but invited a surge to enter the building. Once inside, it went hunting for earth ground via appliances. Nothing stops a surge. Once it is inside, it chooses what it will damage.

Either you connect that hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly outside the building. Or you have ineffective protection.

Lightning might have struck AC wires down the street. That means lightning is connected directly to every appliance. Which ones were damaged? Which ones made a better connection to earth? Apparently the modem, router, and surge protector. Protector could have made surge damage easier to a nearby modem and router. It did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do.

Either you connect that hundreds of thousands of joules short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth via a 'whole house' protector. Or you have no effective protection. None. A power strip for tens or $100 per appliance does nothing. A 'whole house' protector for about $1 per appliance is essential if you want surge protection.

But the well proven solution does not have a massive profit margin. Is not promoted by myths. Does not get promoted by being damaged. A $6 power strip with some ten cent protector parts sells at massive profit for $15 in Walmart. Or the same protector circuit sells for $25 or $100 under hyped brand names. Obscene profits are why so many recommend protectors that do not even claim protection.

More responsible companies sell a 'whole house' protector including Square D, Intermatic, Leviton, Siemens, ABB, and General Electric. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. If a protector is properly earthed, it connects a surge to protection.

No protector does protection. Either a protector connects surges short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to protection (earth ground). Or it can make damage easier to TV, computers, router, and modem. You had damage because a surge was inside - a major mistake. Surge then select which appliance would make a best and destructive connection to earth. Plug-in protector did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do - ineffective protection.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 11:27 AM   #7
Yaboze

One summer, during a thunderstorm, lightning hit a tree at the end of my street and took out some cable utility stuff that was underground nearby. The whole street lost their cable.

MAN...was it loud. I thought a bomb went off.

Everything was shut down prior, no PC damage or anything. We didn't lose power either.

When the cable came back on (TV), my modem was done. Fried. The router and everything behind it was ok. So, I just drove over the cable company offices and got it swapped out.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 11:44 AM   #8
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
One summer, during a thunderstorm, lightning hit a tree at the end of my street and took out some cable utility stuff that was underground nearby.
Makes no difference whether wires are overhead or underground. If any wire inside any incoming cable does not connect low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet', no sharp wire bends, etc) to earth, then that surge will go hunting inside the house.

Cable needs no protector. Superior protector is a wire from the cable ground block to earth. And that wire must be short as possible (ie 'less than 10 feet'), cannot have splices, must be separated from other non-grounding wires, etc.

That is surge protection. Once the surge is inside, then nothing will avert a destructive hunt for earth ground. View specifications for any power strip. Where does it claim protection from destructive surges? It doesn't. It is not protection. It is a profit center.

Hundreds of thousands of joules must be absorbed before any wire - overhead or underground - enters a building. Otherwise superior protection inside an appliance can be overwhelmed. Hundreds of thousands of joules must dissipate harmlessly outside the building. Every incoming wire must connect to earth either directly (cable TV) or via a 'whole house' protector (AC electric, telephone).

Effective protection means nobody even knew a surge existed. Even the protector is not damaged by a direct lightning strike.

Old 04-12-11, 10:13 PM   #9
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Time to start learning what protectors really do. View its spec numbers. Power strip protectors do not claim to protect from typically destructive surges. Worse, it can sometimes make damage easier.

Your may be a perfect example. You all but invited a surge to enter the building. Once inside, it went hunting for earth ground via appliances. Nothing stops a surge. Once it is inside, it chooses what it will damage.

Either you connect that hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly outside the building. Or you have ineffective protection.

Lightning might have struck AC wires down the street. That means lightning is connected directly to every appliance. Which ones were damaged? Which ones made a better connection to earth? Apparently the modem, router, and surge protector. Protector could have made surge damage easier to a nearby modem and router. It did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do.

Either you connect that hundreds of thousands of joules short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth via a 'whole house' protector. Or you have no effective protection. None. A power strip for tens or $100 per appliance does nothing. A 'whole house' protector for about $1 per appliance is essential if you want surge protection.

But the well proven solution does not have a massive profit margin. Is not promoted by myths. Does not get promoted by being damaged. A $6 power strip with some ten cent protector parts sells at massive profit for $15 in Walmart. Or the same protector circuit sells for $25 or $100 under hyped brand names. Obscene profits are why so many recommend protectors that do not even claim protection.

More responsible companies sell a 'whole house' protector including Square D, Intermatic, Leviton, Siemens, ABB, and General Electric. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. If a protector is properly earthed, it connects a surge to protection.

No protector does protection. Either a protector connects surges short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to protection (earth ground). Or it can make damage easier to TV, computers, router, and modem. You had damage because a surge was inside - a major mistake. Surge then select which appliance would make a best and destructive connection to earth. Plug-in protector did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do - ineffective protection.
Ok, I'm not a kid, and I don't need a lecture from you. You have exactly 2 posts, both of which are in this thread. Not a good start to your tenure on this forum.

If I were you, I would stop talking and listen more. The surge protector did it's job. Past that, I consider myself lucky, nothing more. If you want to help, that's fine. If you want to try and degrade me by writing a massive post about how "wrong" I was, you might as well leave this forum. You're not going to win the hearts of anyone by posting like that.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 02:48 AM   #10
westom

Quote:
If I were you, I would stop talking and listen more. The surge protector did it's job. Past that, I consider myself lucky, nothing more.
Obviously your protector did what its manufacturer claimed. Ineffective protection. Protector was so pathetically undersized as to fail. An effective protector remains functional after each surge. Especially after one that tiny.

Your protector disconnected as fast as possible. Disconnected fast enough to not create a house fire. Left appliances connected to a tiny transient. That was not protection. That was a protector promoting a myth. Failing on a surge too tiny to harm other appliances.

With or without a protector, TV and computers protected themselves. Listed were effective solutions from responsible companies. A solution that also costs less money. So that larger and more destructive surges do not overwhelm protection inside appliances. Effective solutions remain functional even after a direct lightning strike. Cost less money. Averts a destructive hunt for earth ground via appliances. You had modem and router damage due to no properly earthed protector. You had ineffective protection.

Either connect hundreds of thousands of joules short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to earth via a 'whole house' protector. Or have no effective protection. Either learn the science. Or reply nasty to remain in denial. Your choice.

Protector did its job. Failed on a surge too tiny to damage a TV or computers. Mythical protection to encourage a tirade rather than learn from the mistake. Grossly undersizing a protector increases profits. Promotes more sales. Encourages irate replies from those more easily manipulated by retail myths. Your choice.

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Provided was how to learn from your mistake. Sorry that you are too angry to grasp it.
Old 04-13-11, 02:49 AM   #11
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I think you are getting trolled by a bot.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 09:38 AM   #12
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I think you are getting trolled by a bot.
I have no idea, but I reported them for this. It really is unnecessary. I don't need to be lectured on this, weather it's a person in front of a screen or a bot.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard