Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-11, 12:04 AM   #145
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Official Portal 2 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
After reading all over about how it's a console port. I won't buy. The PC gamers need to stand up against this ****.
Sucks to be you. Because of one word you are going to miss out on a great game. LOLOL
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:20 AM   #146
AngelGraves13

Quote:
After reading all over about how it's a console port. I won't buy. The PC gamers need to stand up against this ****.
Textures are lower resolution than The Orange Box, but Valve has improved on animations.

It's a fantastic game, but it too has been affected by consolitis. No, I didn't just invent that word...it's been around for a while.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:22 AM   #147
Airbrushkid

I'm not missing anything. 7 hour game what happen to the 12 games. It's no better then Crysis 2.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:40 AM   #148
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm not missing anything. 7 hour game what happen to the 12 games. It's no better then Crysis 2.
You do know it is over twice as long as portal was, right? Plus there is also the added coop which should easily add another 7 hours. Try again.
Old 04-21-11, 01:41 AM   #149
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Textures are lower resolution than The Orange Box, but Valve has improved on animations.

It's a fantastic game, but it too has been affected by consolitis. No, I didn't just invent that word...it's been around for a while.
The textures are anything but low res. Maybe you didn't turn them up all the way.
Old 04-21-11, 01:52 AM   #150
Bah!

The game is excellent, and is definitely not a console port. All you have to do is load up the first game and then load up the second and you can see that pretty easily.

As far as the graphics, it looks like any other Source engine game. If it weren't for the amazing art guys the game would look really dated, but it manages to hold it's own even with the outdated tech being used.

I'll be really disappointed if HL3 ends up using this same engine.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:57 AM   #151
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I'm with road. I just finished it and it was quite the experience. Havnt really had a game grab me like that in years, where I just had to keep going back to it (ignoring wow).

The only thing you could say was consolized was the load screen in between %95 of the levels (elevators). Flamers like to bring up the save screen but you know the screen they are talking only flashes for a fraction of a second as it takes only that long to save. I couldn't even read it and would never have known what it said if some troll didn't spend minutes trying to screen shot it.

Textures are wonderful, and plenty of signs to read placed all around.

This game has had alot of work, and it has quantum leaped the first portal. The state of the world changes offer many unique and wonderful environments that offer up answers to questions about how the portal experiment came to place. Although maybe answering why you were in one of portals test subject rooms to begin with could have been one of them. ^^

Id like to see some DLC but not holding my breath, the first one had even more excitement and they released nothing. Also this is valve were talking about, were still waiting on HL2-3.
Old 04-21-11, 04:11 AM   #152
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Textures are lower resolution than The Orange Box
Oh year very low res textures. ... Here's one i took earlier.

Its definitely graphically better that Portal 1.
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-11, 04:19 AM   #153
K007

**** people sometimes say its been 'consolitis' for just the hell of it.

this game is rock solid. goty for sure, way better experience than c2.

one thing that does suck is the amount of dlc crap...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 04:31 AM   #154
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Say Niiii!!!

thats best game this year my friend. buy it on any platform.

It looks better than Crysis and work over 100fps on my 4yo pc maxed out!!!

Ant WOOOW valve is the king of physics. With those cinematic big physics scenes (which were also plentyfull in EP2) and gel physics, I am out of words
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 04:33 AM   #155
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
The textures are anything but low res. Maybe you didn't turn them up all the way.
Compared to Portal they are. They're on High, which is the maximum. First thing I did when I launched Portal 2 was check to see if everything was on the highest setting. It was, except for AA and AF which I set to 16QCSS and 16 respectively.

Portal looks better as far as textures go, but everything else looks better in Portal 2.

I just finished the single player. Played half-way on the co-op, after which my friend had to leave.

The hats and items in co-op are silly and pointless as they're completely cosmetic, but maybe that will change with new items, but not so much for hats.

Seems I found out why my textures were looking fugly. Even though it was set to "High" it was "mat_picmip 0" in the console. I set it to "mat_picmip -1" and it looks fine now.

Apparently you can't set it to mat_picmip -10 because it will reset to -1. Oh well...it's better than 0.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 04:47 AM   #156
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I think I read about an ongoing issue with mat_picmip on the steam forums bug list.