Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-11, 03:48 AM   #217
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Official Portal 2 Thread

Absolutely superb in every respect. I was a little hesitant paying a full $50 for something that was only 7 hours of gameplay, but I haven't even started the co-op, and I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

One of the greatest things about this game is its sense of humor. The robot characters and the jokes flow brilliantly and they have me on the floor every time. I can't remember how long it's been since a game made me laugh this hard.

The puzzles are just terrific. They're challenging in the sense that you'll have to sit back and think a bit to find the solution, but they're not frustrating at all. Sometimes puzzels can be frusterating due to poor game controls, and that's not the case here. Once you mentally figure a puzzle out, it's fairly smooth procedure to solve it. This is what difficulty should be.

The only complaints I'm seeing are load times, and honestly they are not that big of a deal. They take like 3 - 4 seconds, but I have an Intell SSD so that makes things better. Not a problem at all to be honest.

Oh, and the turret opera at the end is simply brilliant. I love it when games have a good ending.

Honestly, I can't remember how long it's been since I've had this much fun with a game. Probably not since Super Mario Galaxy. And before that Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Yeah... this game is on that level. If you don't buy this, you are missing out on one of the greatest games of all time.

It's refreshing to see a game that is so unique and original and not just another rehash of a brain dead shooter like call of duty or crysis. Well done valve.

I give it a 10/10 across the board.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:32 PM   #218
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Absolutely superb in every respect. I was a little hesitant paying a full $50 for something that was only 7 hours of gameplay, but I haven't even started the co-op, and I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

One of the greatest things about this game is its sense of humor. The robot characters and the jokes flow brilliantly and they have me on the floor every time. I can't remember how long it's been since a game made me laugh this hard.

The puzzles are just terrific. They're challenging in the sense that you'll have to sit back and think a bit to find the solution, but they're not frustrating at all. Sometimes puzzels can be frusterating due to poor game controls, and that's not the case here. Once you mentally figure a puzzle out, it's fairly smooth procedure to solve it. This is what difficulty should be.

The only complaints I'm seeing are load times, and honestly they are not that big of a deal. They take like 3 - 4 seconds, but I have an Intell SSD so that makes things better. Not a problem at all to be honest.

Oh, and the turret opera at the end is simply brilliant. I love it when games have a good ending.

Honestly, I can't remember how long it's been since I've had this much fun with a game. Probably not since Super Mario Galaxy. And before that Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Yeah... this game is on that level. If you don't buy this, you are missing out on one of the greatest games of all time.

It's refreshing to see a game that is so unique and original and not just another rehash of a brain dead shooter like call of duty or crysis. Well done valve.

I give it a 10/10 across the board.
Yeah pretty much this - I don't think that's an extreme reaction at all, the game deserves all the praise it's getting.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:58 PM   #219
Zelda_fan

Honestly, I think this is the best game valve has ever made. Better than the original Half Life. Better than Half Life 2.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:09 PM   #220
Sean_W

Anybody would think nobody is making innovative games these days. Oh wait......
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 08:40 PM   #221
grey_1

Enjoying this quite a bit. Had some good laughs with the wife watching and hearing Gladdos(SP?) little jabs

Stuck hard at the moment though...
Old 04-23-11, 11:20 PM   #222
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

after about 2 hours into the game I'm at the start of I think test chamber 21 maybe? the one right after glados says that she remodeled.. the very small room with 3 lasers.

IMO this is the best writing/script I've ever heard done in a game. Glados' script is absolutely brilliantly written and the voice acting is what really knocks it out of the park and MAKES those awesome scripts really stand out. She TRULY HATES YOU and it's so funny all the dry bitter sarcastic remarks she fires at you one after another.

as far as the puzzles go, they're really not challenging at all (yet) but I hope that changes. Chamber 19 had me scratching my head for about 10 minutes as I was really over complicating things with that jump panel that you couldn't jump up to.. I was sitting there stacking those 3 laser redirecting cubes up to try and jump up there then trying to aim portals while being launched and it wasn't until I had that "ah ha!" DUH lightbulb turning on in my head moment that I realized how simple the solution I was after was.

I'm liking the big wide open test chambers though and the whole element of the place being "alive" with the wall panels all over moving and stuff is really awesome to see. stuff like that is just a visual feast and valve did a great job making it feel believable that the place really has been lost for decades from civilization.

you feel... forever alone...

4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 01:43 AM   #223
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
IMO this is the best writing/script I've ever heard done in a game. Glados' script is absolutely brilliantly written and the voice acting is what really knocks it out of the park and MAKES those awesome scripts really stand out. She TRULY HATES YOU and it's so funny all the dry bitter sarcastic remarks she fires at you one after another.

as far as the puzzles go, they're really not challenging at all...[/IMG]
Yeah the writing, dialogue, story is definitely the best part about it. There are a few levels with no communication at all and I found myself missing it.

I'm with you on the puzzles, they were all fairly easy, all the way to the ending, which was one of the easier things in the game.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 01:44 AM   #224
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
as far as the puzzles go, they're really not challenging at all (yet) but I hope that changes.
Oh it does. The later puzzles are much more brain-bending than anything in Portal. Enjoy!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-11, 08:25 AM   #225
grey_1

Potato batteries FTW!
Old 04-24-11, 09:07 AM   #226
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Lol grey, I somehow knew you'd get a kick out of those.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 10:46 AM   #227
K007

took me about 4 hours to finish, had a lot of fun on co-op tho..plaeyd about 2 hours on that
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 12:06 PM   #228
grey_1

The game is bordering on repetitive now. If it weren't for the voice acting I wouldn't bother any longer, got a feeling it's worth it though.