Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-11, 10:15 PM   #1
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Problems with Realtec LAN, will an Intel NIC fix this?

I've got a file server that is using Realtek 8111C GB onboard LAN. Accessing files is a bit laggy, especially from XP machines. The worst instance is when opening files in a particular CAD program, if you go back to the computer or workgroup (rather than staying in a folder on the shared drive) it will lag for around 10 seconds. In general it usually lags around 1-2 seconds for browsing in the folders and at other times it seems fast enough.

So as in the title, will an Intel PCIe NIC fix this? I'm going PCIe because the PC only has 2 PCI slots next to each other down the bottom but 3 PCIe 1x slots and 2 x16 slots and uses on board video. If there is an improvement I'm going to buy a couple more to use in an identical machine that is used as a print server so I like the idea of being able to space the cards a bit which I can't do with the 2 PCI slots nor could I add a third card if needed.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.ota.com.au/Networking/Net...ter-16414.html

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:34 PM   #2
AngelGraves13

Default Re: Problems with Realtec LAN, will an Intel NIC fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I've got a file server that is using Realtek 8111C GB onboard LAN. Accessing files is a bit laggy, especially from XP machines. The worst instance is when opening files in a particular CAD program, if you go back to the computer or workgroup (rather than staying in a folder on the shared drive) it will lag for around 10 seconds. In general it usually lags around 1-2 seconds for browsing in the folders and at other times it seems fast enough.

So as in the title, will an Intel PCIe NIC fix this? I'm going PCIe because the PC only has 2 PCI slots next to each other down the bottom but 3 PCIe 1x slots and 2 x16 slots and uses on board video. If there is an improvement I'm going to buy a couple more to use in an identical machine that is used as a print server so I like the idea of being able to space the cards a bit which I can't do with the 2 PCI slots nor could I add a third card if needed.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.ota.com.au/Networking/Net...ter-16414.html
I don't know if it will fix it, but I do know that onboard Realtek NIC is terrible. The pings fluctuate and the CPU usage can quite high about 10%. Go for an Intel NIC, they're $38 on Amazon.

I decided to get a Killer NIC, which is about 20 bucks more.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:46 PM   #3
Roliath

Stick with the intel nic and you should be fine.
Old 04-14-11, 12:55 AM   #4
Mathesar

Would it be worth 'upgrading' to an Intel NIC for standard PC use (Browse web / Play games online etc).

Current motherboard has onboard Realtek 8111C NIC.

I havent had any issues I can think of related to the NIC but if its using more CPU than it should might be worth it.
6 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (3 x 2GB / Triple channel)
EVGA GTX 480 + EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked (PhysX)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic / Logitech Z5500's
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones + Go-Vibe V4 amp
2.4TB Total HDD / Win 7 64bit Ultimate
Samsung PX2370 LED TN & Samsung 2333T PVA
Pioneer Kuro 5080HD Plasma.
Mathesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:10 AM   #5
Q

I really like Intel NIC's so I'd say go for it, Mathesar. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a normal gaming system and should make general computing a bit nicer.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:49 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I had same program on my media server, disabled realtek and installed Intel ProLan gigabit and problem solved.

Just don't do something silly like waste money on "killer" nic.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 12:11 PM   #7
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
I had same program on my media server, disabled realtek and installed Intel ProLan gigabit and problem solved.

Just don't do something silly like waste money on "killer" nic.
I have no regrets with my Killer NIC purchase.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 12:34 PM   #8
Roliath

I can do this all day, but my utilization never jumps over 1~2% when copying files from my server to my ssd array. What kind of utilization are you seeing Viral?

Old 04-14-11, 07:27 PM   #9
Viral
Registered User of Women

I did monitor it when first getting the print server, but only when printing to the large format printers we have. I'll have a look soon and see what result I get transferring files to and from the server. I think the transfer speeds are good, though it's only a 100mbit network due to old switch and cat 5 cables routed through the walls - besides two printers which have a direct 1Gb connection. It's more the lag I get when browsing for files, not so much in explorer mind you, but more so when using the "open" mini explorer window when opening files in design programs.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote