Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-11, 06:01 PM   #37
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: Tired of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoth View Post
Well, yes... yes absolutely, I'm not enjoying gaming in general as much as I did before.

I currently own 300+ games, most of which are on the PC (and most of which are on Steam), some of them are Consoles games (on the NES, SNES, Genesis, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, and PlayStation 2, I sold my other Consoles long ago, the latest Console I owned was the original XBOX, I never owned any of the Consoles of the current generation, not even rented, I just skipped out of lack of interest), but I never play more than two or three of them. That's what I noticed over years, the number of games I own is increasing (although at a much lower rate as time passes), but the number of games I do play "regularly" out of them all is incredibly small. Since summer of last year I've been playing pretty much one game, a Free-2-Play MMORPG, and from time to time (something along the lines of one or two sessions per week) I've played about three or four games in between (such as Team Fortress 2, the original Dawn of War, and Medieval II with modifications).

Generally speaking I am indeed less "inspired" to play games, and I've been disappointed countless times over the past few years from various developers, most of which I had lot of respect for, I don't put the fault on the developers only however... it's just the whole scheme of things that changed over the years really, the market, the business models, the mentality, the digital era is forcing things to change left and right, mostly for the worst (losing social interactivity, especially with on-line PC gaming), sometimes for the better (depending on the situation, but taking the Wii as an example trying to bring actual live people back together playing games as a group, as it was often in the 8-Bit, 16-Bit and 32-Bit era when as kids and young adolescents we were used to physically bring our own Console to our friend's place and play together, often being proud to pop-up that new game we just bought and blowing the friend's mind with it, felt great!).

Unfortunately I feel that it's mostly "déjà-vue" stuff pretty much all over the place. By that I mean that when a "new RPG" comes out, I have the feeling that it's just trying to take elements from "that one" and "this one" released years ago that I happened to play, and they (developers) tried to label that as something new... well really it's just a mixture and it's supposed to feel new and play differently, sometimes it does work, sometimes it's just a clone of a known past franchise and if you played that franchise in the past you're just going to stop playing that so called "new game" after a short period if you did ended up buying it, often by mere impulsion, or perhaps due to a low price and you thought "bah, at that price, why not", and still you're disappointed. I feel like that since a few years, as I said earlier I've been disappointed, a lot, even by known developers with their praised big-budget AAA titles, and like someone else mentioned I too enjoy Indie games more than I even want to.

Don't get me wrong I do support Indie developers (just look at Minecraft, or Trine, or Super Meat Boy, or stuff like Gratuitous Space Battles or even Braid) and they come up with nice little, simple and fun games... but when a big name developer has about the best programmers and coders and artists of all types that you could ask for and they end up rushing a title - any title - because it has to "make it in this specific fiscal year" then in my opinion it's just a waste of time and talent, perhaps not a waste of money since obviously it's their goal now... well technically it has always been the goal, money BUT... but back then somehow interest and greed in financial profits rarely ended up being the sole reason why a game sucked if it did suck, usually if a game sucked (and yeah many did even back then) then it was the developers' fault. Today when I play a game like Dragon Age 2, or Crysis 2, and I look at the developer that made them and their past history I'm really wondering if they did make those games.

I know it's different for everyone anyway, some may agree, others may not, but even my "old" games from my Consoles are not interesting me much, I played them all to death anyway, when I do play them it's usually because I'm driven to play one or more of them for about five or ten minutes because of some nostalgia that just kicked in, usually because I had just seen or heard something about old games on the web and I just leave my chair and go start-up my SNES, then I get a smile on my face, "it was fun back then", I get bored after five minutes, and then I end back on my fair looking at the monitor and browsing the web blindly just for the heck of it until it's time to go sleep for work the next morning. It's a cycle that started some years ago, I'd say that at least for me it started when Steam started to pretty much become what it is today and what it "helped" (or provoked) creating (I.E digital gaming era, downloadable content in mass).

Bah... my video gaming history is pretty much a big roller coaster anyway, it's never really been "always enjoyable", there's been downs before, but I must say, never like the one I'm going through right now and since the past few years, this one is the worst and I fear it's going to last for a couple of years. Now I might enjoy one or two games per year, if I'm lucky, when back years ago I could easily buy around five or six games in a year and enjoy and play them all regularly and that is what has changed the most over the years, the number of games I buy and the number that I do enjoy out of those I buy.
Can you write a bit more text.... doesn't feel like you've flushed out the totality of your opinion...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 09:47 AM   #38
Destroy

Dumbed down. That's the cause of my drop in interest. Actual game control input is a huge part of gameplay to me. Can today's games get any dumbed down than Enslaved? Good lord. <puke>

I recently purchased a semi-older laptop to play older games with some challenge - I76, Mech2-3, Battlezone, Uprising, Whiplash, Starsiege, JA2 and Carmageddon.

It's just retarded to me that a 14 year game has better car damage, handling and physics than many of today's games.

And what happened to the SP mech sims? WTF?

Obviously games are simply not marketed for old school me any more. <sad panda>

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 12:21 PM   #39
MowTin

I thought it was just me.

There are games I love, like Mass Effect 2, that I just stop playing for no reason. I think it has to do with how socially and professionally occupied I am. Games are leisure and thus better enjoyed when you have plenty of leisure time.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 12:46 PM   #40
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

gaming has lately become like watching a movie. I play them for 2 hours or less then forget abt it, whether I like it or not. And my wife has not been too happy with the money being wasted this way, all those unplayed games filling up the closet.
Old 04-18-11, 01:03 PM   #41
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

Baby son = not a lot of gaming time (I don't get as enthusiastic about games as my college years that's for sure). Although it is funny to play a healer in Aion and randomly have a heal spell cancel because your 7 month old likes to play with the keyboard.
winton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:39 PM   #42
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

I do go through periods where I don't really game much but I think it's because the periods where I AM playing, I do so and do little else... so I sort of just burn myself out.

There are plenty of games that I think are fun that I've played through a couple times and plan on playing through again and again and some that are fun once and that's about it.

I think that this year is going to turn out to be the best year for gaming. there's a mountain of awesome titles coming out.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 01:34 PM   #43
Sidam Hcuot

I used to be a heavy gamer. Then I got a life
Old 04-20-11, 02:21 AM   #44
serajones

Its not that, games always and always help you get relieved off your stress.
yes, but excess of everything is not good at all.

Regards
serajones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-11, 08:11 AM   #45
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

After playing through Portal 2 yesterday and getting back into Civ 5, I realized I'm not at all bored of gaming, it's just that there aren't really many great games out there right now (that I haven't played).
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 08:43 PM   #46
MowTin

I think part of the problem is the lack of innovation especially in the fps genre. It's only natural that you get bored when you're playing the same thing again and again with different graphics. Point, shoot, jump, crouch, point shoot, hit G to throw a grenade.

For example, I HATE COD4 multiplayer. I just can't do team deathmatch anymore. I can't count the hours I spent playing Quake I deathmatch or Team Fortress or the original CS. Yet game makers keep pushing out that same tired stuff.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 11:03 AM   #47
DirkGently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidam Hcuot View Post
I used to be a heavy gamer. Then I got a life
I used to have a life and then i became a heavy gamer
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:10 PM   #48
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrolock View Post
Ever felt that you got so tired of gaming? I'm at that point right now. New PC or console games just don't interest me anymore.

So do you have to motivate yourself now guys? Like how bob motivates pepis?

Seriously, I just upgraded.
Yep, I'm completely burnt out on all games. I have been getting on TF2 lately but not for long. Most the time my son is on my Steam account.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote