Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-11, 01:10 PM   #1
AngelGraves13

Default New Rig Ideas

So, I'm already planning a new rig. Here's some ideas on what I want. A lot of the items will be carried over from my current rig, so the expense will not be too vast, unless I add it all up.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a case. I like the blue LEDs on the Antec case, and I like the look of the Corsair case, and the Cooler Master case looks nice as well if I add Blue LEDs.

The Power Supplies by Antec and Corsair are both grade A, but I've never used a Corsair PSU, though I've heard very good things about it. They look on par as far as features and performance, but the Corsair has a 7 year warranty whereas the Antec has a 5 year warranty. I doubt I'll be using it for 7 years, but it is assuring.

Motherboard, CPU, and Memory: Waiting for the Intel X79, or the AMD Bulldozer (if it delivers). I might stick to Intel for the Intel Rapid Storage Controller because it has never given me a single problem in 4 years. The memory might be carried over, if it is still using DDR 1600MHz, but if it supports 2400MHz then I'll look for a memory upgrade, but the high latency on those puts me off. Corsair is the best in memory, so I'm not even going to consider anything else. I bought OCZ last time and 2 of the sticks are now defective on my Core 2 Duo system, so I don't really mind OCZ leaving the RAM business.

The new ACER monitor looks very appealing as it 27 inches and is 16:9 and Full HD as my current one is 23 inches and only 16:10 and not Full HD. The viewing angles will be the same 170/160, though I would love 178/178, but I doubt we'll see any 120Hz monitors do that for quite some time. It also have a built-in NVIDIA 3D Vision IR Emitter, so I can save a USB port as well, and probably sell my IR Emitter with glasses or put it into storage and keep the extra pair of glasses for when a friend comes over. Acer's monitor already includes glasses (just 1), so it would be nice to have 2 in total. There's a review of the monitor at the 3D Vision Blog and I can't wait to add a few inches to my desktop. Who couldn't use a few extra inches right?

As far as hard drives are concerned, I'll probably get two WD VelociRaptor 600 GB drives as SSD is just too expensive and it doesn't offer enough storage. I need enough storage for Windows, Applications, and STEAM with about 20 current and favorite games installed at once. My iTunes music library of Apple Lossless Music created with EAC into FLAC then into ALAC takes up around 1.2TB and will go on an external drive. That will be a Western Digital RE4 2TB drive by itself for security as performance will not be an issue.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 or Corsair Obsidian 800D or Cooler Master HAF X
PSU: Antec High Current Professional 1200 (5 year warranty) or Corsair Professional Series Gold High Performance 1200 (7 year warranty)
Surge Protector: Monster Power HD PowerCenter 900 with GreenPower [Bought]
Motherboard: Intel X79 (ASUS)
Memory: 12 GB Corsair Dominator i7 DDR3 1600MHz [Bought] or 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA Kepler 680 GTX (eVGA)
Monitor: Acer HN274H 3D Vision Ready LCD Monitor (Built-in IR Emitter)
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty [Bought]
NIC: BigFoot Networks Killer NIC 2100 [Bought]
Hard Drive: WD VelociRaptor 600 GB SATA Hard Drives (WD6000HLHX) in RAID 0
Extra Storage: WD RE4 2 TB SATA Hard Drive (WD2003FYYS)
Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Gaming Keyboard + Razer Mamba Gaming Mouse + Razer IronClad Gaming Mat + Razer Onza Tournament Edition [Bought]
Speakers & Headphones w/ Microphone: Razer Mako 2.1 THX Speakers + Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset with Leather Ear Cushions [Bought]
Burner: Pioneer BDR-206 Blu-ray Disc Writer [Bought]

That's all I can come up with for now...
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 01:50 PM   #2
Roliath

Default Re: New Rig Ideas

If your building a new rig, don't waste your money on those velicoraptors. Get a big storage drive and an ssd + intel nic.
Old 04-14-11, 02:28 PM   #3
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
If your building a new rig, don't waste your money on those velicoraptors. Get a big storage drive and an ssd + intel nic.
SSD is too expensive and there isn't enough room on it, so that's out of the question.

I already have a NIC, so that's not necessary, but Intel NICs are exceptional.
Old 04-14-11, 09:27 PM   #4
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

HAF X is my #1 case now....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 09:31 PM   #5
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
SSD is too expensive and there isn't enough room on it, so that's out of the question.

I already have a NIC, so that's not necessary, but Intel NICs are exceptional.
that $80 for the nic is a good chunk of an SSD.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:31 PM   #6
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
that $80 for the nic is a good chunk of an SSD.
Your standards must be really low. I need A LOT of storage.

When there's a 1TB SSD around $400 that hits the SATA 3 limit, wake me up. Until then...yawn.
Old 04-14-11, 11:32 PM   #7
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Your standards must be really low. I need A LOT of storage.

When there's a 1TB SSD around $400 that hits the SATA 3 limit, wake me up. Until then...yawn.
Who says you need to store everything on the SSD?
Single SSD for operating system, even a cheap ssd will out perform that velicoraptor. No body is keeping their media/pron collection on a array of SSD's right now. And if they are, its probably pretty damn expensive. Keep the OS on the SSD, and everything else on platters most new 1tb+ drives will give you some nice speeds especially if you don't mind running them in an array (hope you back your **** up as well).
Old 04-15-11, 12:10 AM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Hell, even most 7200rpm drives beat raptors due to the high platter density.

Also, who cares about 400mb/s, you can't use it, nothing will and nothing will benefit from it. The main benefit of an SSD is access times.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-11, 12:34 AM   #9
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Who says you need to store everything on the SSD?
Single SSD for operating system, even a cheap ssd will out perform that velicoraptor. No body is keeping their media/pron collection on a array of SSD's right now. And if they are, its probably pretty damn expensive. Keep the OS on the SSD, and everything else on platters most new 1tb+ drives will give you some nice speeds especially if you don't mind running them in an array (hope you back your **** up as well).
QFT. I have an SSD, but I only keep my OS and critical programs on it. Do you know how much more responsive my computer is now that it has an SSD? It boots up in half the time it did before, I never have to wait for a program to open, my computer is fully responsive 100% of its operating time, and when I need to shut down or restart... 5 seconds. I have NEVER felt any sort of hard drive lag since I've gotten my SSD.

I'll echo what others have said before: If you won't get an SSD because they're too small, you've missed the point of an SSD. Once you use an SSD, you will NEVER want to work on a computer without one. Computers without SSD's just feel sluggish to me now. Every single person on this forum that has an SSD will agree.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 09:10 AM   #10
hirantha
SUC SUDO

You don't go SSD even just for the OS? then buddy all i can say is your machines is obsolete even before you build it.

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 03:32 PM   #11
AngelGraves13

If I do get an SSD, I'll get one by Corsair. My dad has an OCZ Vertex and it doesn't make a bit of difference on his computer, though it is set in RAID mode, so that might be why. RAID mode...no TRIM.

I might get this one...but it's just so freaking small

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3-256 SSD

Same with this...

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

My Steam folder is 200 GBs by itself.

I guess I'll just wait for the next gen of these in 2012, when SSD goes mainstream.
Old 04-15-11, 03:40 PM   #12
Redeemed

Honestly, I have found 1 game that benefitted from being installed to my secondary SSD- Oblivion.

Granted, my newest HDD is around 5 years old now so likely newer drives are faster. However, in Oblivion when on horseback there's a horrid pausing as the game loads new areas. When on foot it's not noticable at all due to how slow you're moving. On horseback it's quite noticable because of how much faster you're moving.

Installing the game to the SSD eliminated this for me entirely.

Beyond Oblivion no other game that I've installed to my SSD has shown any noticable benefit.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote