Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-11, 03:54 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: New Rig Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
If I do get an SSD, I'll get one by Corsair. My dad has an OCZ Vertex and it doesn't make a bit of difference on his computer, though it is set in RAID mode, so that might be why. RAID mode...no TRIM.

I might get this one...but it's just so freaking small

Corsair Performance 3 Series P3-256 SSD

Same with this...

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

My Steam folder is 200 GBs by itself.

I guess I'll just wait for the next gen of these in 2012, when SSD goes mainstream.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/s...ood-hybrid-hdd
Quote:
In many cases the Momentus XT performs like a VelociRaptor, but in a lower power, quieter package. The impact of adding just a small amount of SLC NAND is tremendous. I wonder what kept Western Digital from sticking some NAND on its VelociRaptor instead of giving us the lackluster upgrade we got earlier this year.
I just installed one of these in my laptop and it's the best mix of speed and size I've seen yet.
500Gb hybrid for $119 at Bestbuy.
Old 04-15-11, 05:43 PM   #14
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Honestly, I have found 1 game that benefitted from being installed to my secondary SSD- Oblivion.

Granted, my newest HDD is around 5 years old now so likely newer drives are faster. However, in Oblivion when on horseback there's a horrid pausing as the game loads new areas. When on foot it's not noticable at all due to how slow you're moving. On horseback it's quite noticable because of how much faster you're moving.

Installing the game to the SSD eliminated this for me entirely.

Beyond Oblivion no other game that I've installed to my SSD has shown any noticable benefit.
Most games preload an entire level. It makes no difference once its loaded. Loading is faster with SSD, but other than that I don't see a reason to get one...yet.

I'd rather spend $500 on a new graphics card.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 05:44 PM   #15
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/s...ood-hybrid-hdd

I just installed one of these in my laptop and it's the best mix of speed and size I've seen yet.
500Gb hybrid for $119 at Bestbuy.
Thanks, will look into this.
Old 04-15-11, 05:56 PM   #16
Roliath

Quote:
If I do get an SSD, I'll get one by Corsair. My dad has an OCZ Vertex and it doesn't make a bit of difference on his computer, though it is set in RAID mode, so that might be why. RAID mode...no TRIM.
stop right there please.

Quote:
Loading is faster with SSD, but other than that I don't see a reason to get one...yet.
access times
Old 04-15-11, 05:59 PM   #17
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
stop right there please.
I've looked into RAID mode and TRIM on Intel Matrix Storage. It's a no go.
Old 04-15-11, 06:04 PM   #18
Roliath

Quote:
I've looked into RAID mode and TRIM on Intel Matrix Storage. It's a no go.
I think you missed my point.
Old 04-15-11, 07:11 PM   #19
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

The thing that SSD's bring is virtually instantaneous access times for OS files and critical programs. Except for a few, SSDs make virtually no difference in games.

I feel like myself and others are beating a dead horse here. It's your choice, but there is no substitute for an SSD for your OS. Velociraptors can't come close to touching that sort of speed. Also, remember that SSD's use almost no energy and are silent. Those are nice perks.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 07:26 PM   #20
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
The thing that SSD's bring is virtually instantaneous access times for OS files and critical programs. Except for a few, SSDs make virtually no difference in games.

I feel like myself and others are beating a dead horse here. It's your choice, but there is no substitute for an SSD for your OS. Velociraptors can't come close to touching that sort of speed. Also, remember that SSD's use almost no energy and are silent. Those are nice perks.
The guy bought a KIller NIC. Enough said.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-11, 07:30 PM   #21
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post

It's still much too expensive for the amount of space it offers. Just last year it was 60GB SSD for $700 and now it's 240GB. I'll wait until next year when it goes mainstream.

I know it has 0.01ms access time as opposed to 15ms for a hard drive. There's no comparison. I would LOVE to have one, but it does NOT suit my needs. I NEED room over speed. I'll probably just end up getting 4 WD RE4 2TB drives and putting them into RAID 0 mode. I'll put 2 for my C drive and another 2 for my Storage. Or I can simply do RAID 5, but I prefer 2 separate arrays.

Buying an SSD now is a waste of money. Next year there will be faster SSDs with more memory. It seems it quadruples in memory every year and the price also goes down, so why buy it now? Pretty soon Western Digital and Seagate will be making SSDs, though I'm sure they'll suck since they're a hard drive company and not a memory company like Corsair and OCZ. It will however bring prices down and competition is great.
Old 04-15-11, 07:34 PM   #22
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
The guy bought a KIller NIC. Enough said.
And it works great, thanks for asking. It doesn't do magic, but it's better than onboard.
Old 04-15-11, 08:52 PM   #23
Redeemed

Wow guys- way to be a bunch of ass hats.

It's his money- let him spend it how he pleases. Offer advice, yes- but don't be a bunch of deuches just because he's spending his cash in a manner you disagree with.

If he wants to sport a s754 Sempron, 64MB of RAM with a 500GB ATA100 8MB Cache HDD, while dropping a GTX590 in that bad boy let him. It's his money. Advise- but don't redicule, insult, or any other such crap.

Dude, AngelGraves- if you can find a good deal on a used SSD I'd at least consider getting it. I'm in the same boat as you regarding needing capacity over speed. However, the two SSDs I have now I purchased from members here- the prices were spot on, and I've not regretted it at all. It does make a huge difference.

If you cannot find a good deal on a used SSD, then don't bother. You'll be very pleased with those 2TB drives in RAID as you mentioned. You'll get good performance with lots of storage- I'd count that as a win in my book.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 09:37 PM   #24
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Wow guys- way to be a bunch of ass hats.

It's his money- let him spend it how he pleases. Offer advice, yes- but don't be a bunch of deuches just because he's spending his cash in a manner you disagree with.

If he wants to sport a s754 Sempron, 64MB of RAM with a 500GB ATA100 8MB Cache HDD, while dropping a GTX590 in that bad boy let him. It's his money. Advise- but don't redicule, insult, or any other such crap.

Dude, AngelGraves- if you can find a good deal on a used SSD I'd at least consider getting it. I'm in the same boat as you regarding needing capacity over speed. However, the two SSDs I have now I purchased from members here- the prices were spot on, and I've not regretted it at all. It does make a huge difference.

If you cannot find a good deal on a used SSD, then don't bother. You'll be very pleased with those 2TB drives in RAID as you mentioned. You'll get good performance with lots of storage- I'd count that as a win in my book.
True, an SSD would be nice, but I need more room for my Steam games. I only have 10 games installed and it hits about 200GBs. Add in Adobe CS5 and other programs I use and 240GB is simply not enough space. I'd have to buy the 400GB SSD which is $1400, which is a joke considering next year a 1TB SSD will be around $400.