Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-11, 03:57 PM   #37
Roliath

Default Re: New Rig Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
yeah sorry for ^^, Shame you cant split steam eh.
You can and its stupid easy.
Old 04-17-11, 04:26 PM   #38
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
yeah sorry for ^^, Shame you cant split steam eh.
You can put any game on any drive you want with Symbolic Links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 06:58 PM   #39
AngelGraves13

I'd like my games to make use of SSD as well, otherwise what's the point?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 07:57 PM   #40
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I'd like my games to make use of SSD as well, otherwise what's the point?
You should ask yourself that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Most games preload an entire level. It makes no difference once its loaded. Loading is faster with SSD, but other than that I don't see a reason to get one...yet.
Old 04-17-11, 10:04 PM   #41
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
You should ask yourself that....
Most newer games seem to rely on streaming in the level as you play, mainly because of consoles. RAGE will use this method from what I've read, so a fast drive would help during the streaming, but once it's loaded there is little to no difference.

Either way, this isn't a debate about whether SSD is superior or not because we all know it is. This thread is to discuss a new rig. I've already stated I won't be getting an SSD for my new rig, as it doesn't suit MY needs.

Let's get back on topic...

I'm considering upgrading my sound card to the X-Fi Titanium HD, mainly for it's audiophile quality and capabilities, and also because it has a dedicated headphone out. Currently I am splitting my output to headphones and speakers, which is reducing the sharpness of the audio, though not by much. My sound card has a SNR of 109db and the HD has a SNR of 122db. Realtek onboard was 89db, and the upgrade was clear to say the least. I'm wondering if there will be a big difference between 109db and 122db SNR. I have 2 X-Fi soundcards, one PCI and the other the current PCI-X. I'll be selling my PCI version for around $50 to a friend and put my PCI-Express card into my Core 2 Duo rig and replace it with the Titanium HD. From the reviews I've read, it is considered one of the best soundcards out there, next to ASUS of course. I'm familiar with the X-Fi software and frequently make sure of the Entertainment features like Smart Volume Management to watch movies late at night. Currently, there is no other way to compress the dynamic range of every sound in Windows, and this comes in handy when watching Netflix late at night on my PC, so I can keep the volume low and still hear the dialogue.
Old 04-17-11, 10:15 PM   #42
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Get an Asus Xonar STX. X-Fi, and their drivers are utter crap.
Old 04-18-11, 02:02 AM   #43
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Get an Asus Xonar STX. X-Fi, and their drivers are utter crap.
I haven't had a problem with their drivers, for the X-Fi in Windows 7. Windows Vista driver support when it was new was a different story then, but then again NVIDIA's drivers were probably a million times worse when Vista was released. I haven't had a single BSOD on my system, so I see no reason to **** on Creative. I also really like their software (Creative Console for X-Fi, the rest is utter garbage). I've looked at the ASUS software and it's just like all other ASUS software. Really ugly looking.

I'll stick to Creative.

No comparison. ASUS looks fugly. ASUS does the best hardware, but their software is severely lacking. At least Creative's trying in the software department, even if this is the best they can do. The same can be said of NVIDIA and their control panel. I can't believe we're still using an ugly control panel made for Vista while ATI has made a visually stunning control panel.
Old 04-18-11, 11:58 AM   #44
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Asus software is anything but lacking. Because it doesn't look all pretty means it's lacking? The software and drivers are miles ahead of anything creative can pull out of their ass.

Old 04-18-11, 12:06 PM   #45
Roliath

Asus software isn't bad, I haven't used creative since I moved to Windows 7 due to the issues I had with my x-fi under Vista.
I run a cheaper Asus DG for the optical out and the software works just fine, its not like i have the control panel open all the time. I changed my settings and left it alone.
Old 04-18-11, 01:21 PM   #46
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Hell, even most 7200rpm drives beat raptors due to the high platter density.

Also, who cares about 400mb/s, you can't use it, nothing will and nothing will benefit from it. The main benefit of an SSD is access times.
yap, raptors are obsolete
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 11:04 PM   #47
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Asus software isn't bad, I haven't used creative since I moved to Windows 7 due to the issues I had with my x-fi under Vista.
I run a cheaper Asus DG for the optical out and the software works just fine, its not like i have the control panel open all the time. I changed my settings and left it alone.
I see you put a quote of mine in your signature. Come next year, it will probably be true, though I could be off by a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 04-18-11, 11:05 PM   #48
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap, raptors are obsolete
Hard drives are pretty much obsolete.