Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-11, 09:46 PM   #85
Bowen

Default Re: Battlefield 3 System Requirements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung View Post
Doesn't really matter, i actually prefer non-steam games since i can choose where to install them etc. Steam is a good idea sure but here steam is more expensive than buying the retail dvd for the new releases, most cases 10-30 % .
I concur 100% and remember a DVD install is much faster than well....any download. Even if you have 100Mbps down, you have to install it after you d/l it. That said, the upside to DD is that if you happen to lose your disc(s) (which I've yet to do) you can always retrieve your game online. Still, I prefer to have something. I am disappointed though that even with retail DVD's there is either no book or something very little. It's not like I need it but it's just the idea of having reference materials with something you bought....it's just nice to have. Even when they put that online, even that material now is sparse!
CM HAF 922 Case / MSI Z77A-G45 / Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8GHz / 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL PC3 12800 DDR3 RAM / eVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC / Seagate 500GB SATA / WD 1TB SATA / Optiarc AD-7240S Burner / Corsair HX850 PSU / Windows 7 HP x64
Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 07:05 AM   #86
K007

this might be the first game that i will end up getting the boxed version...last game was sc2, before that...was wow lol
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 08:37 PM   #87
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Really, it only downloads the disk image? What a cheap "service" EA is trying to force on their customers
derp, I should note now that that doesn't seem to be true. I was basing it off of my download of the mirror's edge dlc, which came as an installshield executable, and the fact that there are settings for where to keep installers and clearing installers.

After a long bout with EA support, they gave me an Origin Mirror's Edge copy since the DLC wouldn't work with Steam. And it seems this Mirror's Edge is downloading the game files directly just like steam would. So I dunno if all their games are like that, but if Mirror's Edge is, I'd imagine most of their newer games would be too.
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 09:01 PM   #88
Bowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
derp, I should note now that that doesn't seem to be true. I was basing it off of my download of the mirror's edge dlc, which came as an installshield executable, and the fact that there are settings for where to keep installers and clearing installers.

After a long bout with EA support, they gave me an Origin Mirror's Edge copy since the DLC wouldn't work with Steam. And it seems this Mirror's Edge is downloading the game files directly just like steam would. So I dunno if all their games are like that, but if Mirror's Edge is, I'd imagine most of their newer games would be too.
So then even with a retail copy, we'll probably have to download Origin to log in with the game eh.......wonderful. Ultimately though, as long as it works, info stays secure then I guess it's all good.

Oh, does anyone know if you can choose which server you want in BF3? The last CoD game I bought was MW2 and I HATED that you couldn't choose which server to connect to!!! I rarely play MW2, but when I do, it now takes many minutes to connect to a server because first it checks how many games are around with such and such a ping. When it can't find any, then it moves the ping up and searches from there. There's probably a console command you can enter to raise that, but the point is, if I can play on a server with a ping of 50, of course I want to play on that server, but you can't see them. Anyway, I hope BF3 lets you choose where to go like BC2 does!
CM HAF 922 Case / MSI Z77A-G45 / Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8GHz / 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL PC3 12800 DDR3 RAM / eVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC / Seagate 500GB SATA / WD 1TB SATA / Optiarc AD-7240S Burner / Corsair HX850 PSU / Windows 7 HP x64
Old 06-20-11, 09:53 AM   #89
dante

Send a message via ICQ to dante

Could someone give me a rating on my system for BF3. I know its long in the tooth now. I would like to play it on pretty high settings. Could I get away with just a vid card upgrade? I'm really not sure of my cpu at this point or even if I have enough ram. It would be nice to get away without replacing mobo's and such. Thanks guys
Old 06-20-11, 10:08 AM   #90
Blade
It's just a ride....

Will play it fine.
Old 06-20-11, 05:40 PM   #91
Pennyboy

I prefer the boxed versions, we get screwed over here in New Zealand by all the lame ISP companies keeping the monthly download limit so low. For that reason I usually get boxed versions unless there is a Steam special but then I still blow my monthly limits.
It great when a boxed version integrates with Steam, updates etc install in a breeze. Everytime I see a game with 'Game for Windows' I cry, I know i'm in for some pain
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro Water Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Intel 520 480GB SATA3 SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Edition
Corsair Obsidian 900D Case
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500s Mouse
ASUS VG236H 23.6" 120hz LCD with nVidia 3D Vision
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Pennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 06:48 AM   #92
Bowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante View Post
Could someone give me a rating on my system for BF3. I know its long in the tooth now. I would like to play it on pretty high settings. Could I get away with just a vid card upgrade? I'm really not sure of my cpu at this point or even if I have enough ram. It would be nice to get away without replacing mobo's and such. Thanks guys
A video card upgrade will help. I'd recommend a full upgrade....why....well I think the video card is gonna bottleneck a little. How much....I'm not sure...maybe up to 20% I'd guess. I'd recommend getting nothing less than a 570 and if you can a 580. I can't upgrade until next tax season but when I do I'm gonna upgrade my whole system. I haven't done it in 4 years...will be 5 next year so it's high time. I think if I upgraded just my video card I too would get a bottleneck. Your RAM though should be just fine. If you can upgrade everything....that is mobo, CPU, RAM (for DDR3 mobo) and vid card) you can build a FINE system for $1000!

Upgrading now is cheaper than upgrading when I did back in '07. Since then I've upgraded my vid card a couple times, but that's it. Oh and that upgrade for $1000 includes 8GB of RAM. If you don't want that much then that will save you about $150 or so....can't remember exactly how much that will save you. Also if you wanted to get Core i5, that would save you too.

Old 06-21-11, 01:45 PM   #93
dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
A video card upgrade will help. I'd recommend a full upgrade....why....well I think the video card is gonna bottleneck a little. How much....I'm not sure...maybe up to 20% I'd guess. I'd recommend getting nothing less than a 570 and if you can a 580. I can't upgrade until next tax season but when I do I'm gonna upgrade my whole system. I haven't done it in 4 years...will be 5 next year so it's high time. I think if I upgraded just my video card I too would get a bottleneck. Your RAM though should be just fine. If you can upgrade everything....that is mobo, CPU, RAM (for DDR3 mobo) and vid card) you can build a FINE system for $1000!

Upgrading now is cheaper than upgrading when I did back in '07. Since then I've upgraded my vid card a couple times, but that's it. Oh and that upgrade for $1000 includes 8GB of RAM. If you don't want that much then that will save you about $150 or so....can't remember exactly how much that will save you. Also if you wanted to get Core i5, that would save you too.
I really am due for a upgrade. Will try to get it done before it comes out. Thanks!
Old 06-21-11, 08:16 PM   #94
Bowen

Talking Re: Battlefield 3 System Requirements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante View Post
I really am due for a upgrade. Will try to get it done before it comes out. Thanks!
Sure, I used to buy all my parts from various online retailers to save money but really you ending up saving the most by just buying it all at Newegg. If you want, I can show you the best parts to get for a $1000 or under....whatever you want. I build and repair computers so I can tell you the best quality parts to buy if you want.
Old 06-23-11, 10:29 AM   #95
dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
Sure, I used to buy all my parts from various online retailers to save money but really you ending up saving the most by just buying it all at Newegg. If you want, I can show you the best parts to get for a $1000 or under....whatever you want. I build and repair computers so I can tell you the best quality parts to buy if you want.
That would be great. I did order this though. Your probably right about upgrading everything but I figure I'll try this first. Going to benchmark with my old gtx 280 and then with the 570. See what happens. Of course no way to know for sure until BF3 comes out. I haven't upgraded my pc whatsoever in 3 years I think. A little out of touch.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EHZD5W